Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That Morgan Stanley office used to be a wreck, covered in vines and weeds, with peeling paint and boarded windows. Then it was a frat house. When I was in college, I wanted to buy it and restore it. I'm glad someone (with more money than me! LOL) did.
That is pretty crazy and it sounds like the TKE house that Gannon recently bought and are turning it into a crime investigation building. Some of these buildings can be tastefully renovated by businesses and universities. I hope the West 6th and West 21st street areas remain mostly intact for years to come, because they are amazing glimpses into Erie's proud history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I love this thread. Keep it going.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Here's the link to the article from Sunday's paper:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...WS02/311109927

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
That is pretty crazy and it sounds like the TKE house that Gannon recently bought and are turning it into a crime investigation building.
If I remember correctly -- and this was a LONG time ago! -- the Morgan Stanley office was the TKE house at one point.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I love this thread. Keep it going.
You should check out the walking tour in Erie if you have not already done so, I did this for the first time earlier this year and it was great. Here is the information: http://www.goerie.com/take-historic-tours-of-downtown

You can probably talk to the historical society and see if they are doing it again next year.
Erie County Historical Society

Old 11-11-2013, 09:38 PM

This historic homes contest was pretty interesting and I like the pictures and video:
Meet Historic Homes Contest winners | GoErie.com/Erie Times-News

Oldest lighthouse on the great lakes.

These photos are pretty awesome also and I especially like the Edison fountain from Perry Square.
Flickr: erie,pa's Photostream

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Here is a more recently written article about the house demolition on 6th street.

The aim, according to Meyer and John Vanco (executive director of the Erie Art Museum, who also sits on the Preservation Erie board), is to work with private property owners and city planning leaders to officially establish revamped zoning rules and regulations that would allow, at neighborhoods' request and discretion, for the establishment of locally-designated historic districts. The plan, they said, follows cues from related regulations already in place in cities like Buffalo and Charleston, S.C., and would, where put into effect, basically create a process through which any plans for demolition, or major building-changing renovations, would need prior approval.

Demolishing History - Erie Reader

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
Wow,

When I left home in 1984, my first apartment was at 327 W 7, lived there for 2.5 years while getting my degree. Hame some of the best memories in my life. I do not know how it is now, but back then alot of the problem was that you had to be "in" with the city or county if you wanted to fix up a neighborhood. If you were IN, everything went OK, if you were out, it was constant harassment.

I am pleasantly surprised with the Edinboro house. I actually tried to buy that house in October 1983, while a student at Edinboro, Diebolt actually visited my dormroom to talk to my in person to suggest what a bad idea it would be, told me the college had plans for the building and was waiting for it to decay a bit more and get it cheaper first. I thought I could make into a dorm building for the wealthy, the colloge was not happy with the possible competition with a project they later announced on campus.

After I got my degree and was working in my field in DC for 4-5 years, I went back to Erie to start accumulating rental properties, was tying this new concept of no money down. IIRC, it was August 2, 1991, I came into Erie with $2500 on me and bought:

812 German ($12,700)
206, 208 (duplex $17,500), and 210 W 2 ($15,500)
4101 Cherry ($22,500)

My disbelieving roommate was in shock as the seller on the German Street property offered me, out of the gate to finance the purchase for $285 down and $141/month for 15 years. That place was 3100 sq feet with a full maids apartment on the 3rd floor. I always regretted not moving back from DC right then and there. Though, current clients of my business tell me that the neighborhood has become murder hell.

For the W 2 properties, the city acted like I declared war or something. Seems, again that these were supposed to rot some more then go to Tulio's buddies cheap for water view condo towers. 206 had been occupied by the same tenants for years, yet the place was condemned within 2 hours of my escrow closing.

To give you an idea how corrupt Erie was back then: I immediately started getting weekly "clean up" notices on 210 W 2 as soon as I closed. After hiring 3 contractors to clean up, and getting a city sign off, I still got notices. I was always surprised at how the notices looked like a very poor copy of a copy of a copy. Finally, I was told of how a former city employee, long retired, was randomly mailing these notices form her home, she had arrangements at city hall, that she would get a 30% cut, in cash, from the zoning office for anyone dumb enough to pay the fine from one of her notices.

Finally, on 1994, the city passed emergency regulations, that required the landlords to pay the gas bills for tenants that could not pay, they did not have to show any kind of financial need. So now, here I am getting $275 a month for 210 W 2, paying a $107, 15 yr mortgage and looking at eating a $500/mo gas bill for a mid-level Erie Insurance manager tenant who just needed to claim he could not pay, Tulio said he has this law based on recent enlightened legislation form Chicago. At that point, I threw in the towel. It was a shame, I even designed nice condos for the SW corner of 2nd and Myrtle (even called it Dobbins Hill), but was told the vacant city owned lot was being held for one of Lou's friends, probably still vacant today.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
Oh, and I remember when that Morgan Stanley building sold for $36K, while I was on W7

Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
What's been going on with the Land Light? Maybe about 10 years ago ... or longer, I don't remember ... it was restored, and lit regularly. But I haven't seen it lit in quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Finally, on 1994, the city passed emergency regulations, that required the landlords to pay the gas bills for tenants that could not pay, they did not have to show any kind of financial need. So now, here I am getting $275 a month for 210 W 2, paying a $107, 15 yr mortgage and looking at eating a $500/mo gas bill for a mid-level Erie Insurance manager tenant who just needed to claim he could not pay, Tulio said he has this law based on recent enlightened legislation form Chicago
Lou Tullio died in 1990; he couldn't have said much of anything in 1994. Yes, the guy had a long shadow, but ...

Old 12-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What's been going on with the Land Light? Maybe about 10 years ago ... or longer, I don't remember ... it was restored, and lit regularly. But I haven't seen it lit in quite some time.

Lou Tullio died in 1990; he couldn't have said much of anything in 1994. Yes, the guy had a long shadow, but ...
I am not sure about the land light, but I heard they were doing tours inside over the summer. I am not sure if that was just a one time thing or if it will be every year. It seems to be in really good shape for the age and there are some neat houses immediately surrounding that area, but the neighborhood gets a little interesting not too far away from there.

In terms of the other poster's long post and discussion of power and control in Erie, I can understand their concern because Erie does seem to have a ruling elite class. There are certain property and business owners who seem to own and control such large areas and I am not aware of any corruption, but it would not surprise me. I know this happens everywhere, but Erie seems to be quite different than most similar size cities because a handful of families and organizations seem to control major parts of the city and metro. Here is what I have learned so far in the short time I have been here:

1) The Coffaros and Baldwin Brothers control the mall area. Also, the Baldwin Brothers seem to own and control many other properties in the area.
2) The Scott family owns and controls much of Upper Peach and is building one of the biggest developments in the history of Erie in the city.
3) Erie Insurance owns or controls most of the upper east side immediately adjacent to State and French streets and this footprint is growing. UPMC and Highmark also own the hospitals and subsequently huge swathes of land downtown.
4) The Ferretti's own and control LECOM, which now includes a coffee shop, fitness center, hospital, retirement home, university with 3 campuses (largest medical school in the U.S.), and who knows what else in the future?
5) Gannon, Mercyhurst, and Penn State own and control significant portions of property in Erie, Harborcreek, and North East.
6) Other families like the Agresti's and Glowacki's seem to own and control many properties also.

I am sure I am missing a few people and organizations, but it is interesting how so many properties are owned by so few. I am always surprised when I am driving with one of my local friends and they point out how many properties are owned by a particular family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania