Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on PA?
Live out of state, but want to move in 8 8.89%
Live in state, but want to move out 26 28.89%
Used to live in state, but moved away 20 22.22%
Live in state and plan to stay in state 20 22.22%
Live out of state and don't plan on moving in 3 3.33%
Originally from PA, moved away, then moved back 13 14.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Or Lawrenceville, South Side, Mexican War Streets, Strip, etc. Not a whole lot of choices left.
South Slide Slopes and Upper/Lower Lawrenceville have affordable housing and there is hardly any housing in the Strip outside of a couple condo/apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
At the end of the day, I simply feel like I live in Philly - not PA. I guess I might say "I'm in PA but not of PA." There's just something that I can't put my finger on that makes it so for me. The answer is not that I feel disconnected because Philly is a liberal island in a conservative state. I did that for 26 years: Houston is a Democratic city in . . . well, you know. (BTW - I am here in Philly to stay. At least that's the plan.)
I would counter that, politically, PA is overall left-of-center in both voting behavior and attitudes, despite misrepresentation of that in Harrisburg -- but I think I understand where you're coming from.

Philadelphia (and its metro area) just has such a unique vibe (in terms of "energy," density, history, and culture) that may seem very distinct from the rest of the state, but it's always been quintessential Pennsylvania since the state's beginning. The rest of the state is comprised of the followers.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philadelphia (and its metro area) just has such a unique vibe (in terms of "energy," density, history, and culture) that may seem very distinct from the rest of the state, but it's always been quintessential Pennsylvania since the state's beginning. The rest of the state is comprised of the followers.
Funny. Hope they catch up with us soon.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM

125 posts, read 159,041 times
I wouldn't mind moving to Oregon. Specifically, the Willamette Valley seems like a nice place to live!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
I was born and raised, for the most part, in Delaware County. I lived in West Philly for a few years during a short marriage between my mom and another man. Before and after living in Philadelphia, I have stayed in Delaware County until I moved to the Lehigh Valley for college last August. Honestly, I am IN LOVE with Pennsylvania, especially Philadelphia!

I keep tabs on what is going on in Philly. I am so happy to see that Philadelphia is bettering itself through a building boom in Center City, and through gentrification of its neighborhoods. With this current building boom, Philadelphia is set to have the tallest building in the country outside of New York and Chicago, which is the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center. Multiple other high through low-rise buildings are popping up as well. This is especially true of University City, which is on fire right now in terms of development! As for its gentrified neighborhoods, I would move to Society Hill tomorrow if I had the money! I have never seen such a beautiful collection of 18th century architecture before. I feel like I am a Colonial when I walk through the Society Hill neighborhood (until I see the Wawa near 2nd and South Street!) and see the cobblestone streets, the beautiful architecture, and the brick streets. Now that is what I call charm!

In attending college in the Lehigh Valley and visiting a multitude of other US cities (New York, DC, Atlanta, Seattle, and more), I have come to the conclusion that Philadelphia is the city that I will either live in or near for the rest of my life! You will not find another city with the combination of history, architecture, charm, culture, unique food, sports, public transportation, proximity, and affordability that Philly has to offer. I love the fact that Philly is within an hour or two of the Jersey Shore, and beaches in Delaware and Maryland. Philly is also within two hours of both New York City and Washington, D.C., both of which I visit at least once or twice a year. SEPTA is amazing, too! When I eventually move to the suburbs (hopefully the Main Line), I will definitely park my car at one of SEPTA's Park-and-Ride facilities and take a train into the city! With SEPTA's Regional Rail system, it is also possible to take a day trip to New York City for as little as $34.00 for a round trip ($12.00 for an Independence Pass and $17.00 for two one way NJT tickets).

Overall, I don't think I want to leave PA. Philadelphia and the entire Delaware Valley is simply home to me. It is also conveniently proximate to other East Coast cities, such as New York and D.C. As a state, Pennsylvania is just breathtaking. Before moving to the Lehigh Valley, I didn't realize how beautiful and mountainous PA is. Though I do miss Philly while attending college, it is just simply amazing to take in the views of rolling hills while doing homework in the library. As I have been saying for a while, Pennsylvania is one of the only places with a combination of big cities, rolling hills and valley, mountains, snow-covered slopes in the winter, and beaches (on Lake Erie). All of this while experiencing all four seasons. Sometimes, I have an urge to move to places like Los Angeles; however, no matter where I live, I am pretty sure that I will end back up in Philly!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Johnson View Post
Keep in mind that Pennsylvania has historically had a high percentage of union workers, which generally translates to voting Democrat. Outside of the cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, I don't think the voting trends translate into being liberal. The rural portions of PA, just like most states, are quite conservative.
I am not sure voting in Erie would be considered liberal, but Erie is a Democratic stronghold and in the most recent presidential elections, even more so than Pittsburgh. Erie seems to be becoming more and more progressive in many respects and I have been very impressed with the advances. I realize that I live in a bit of a bubble, because I live in perhaps the most liberal neighborhood of the area, but I am seeing the changes spread, especially to the neighborhoods with high concentrations of college students. If only Erie could retain more of the recent college graduates, this would elicit change at a much quicker pace. I consider myself to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative and having lived in Erie, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, I would definitely say Philadelphia is the most liberal overall, but I don't consider Pittsburgh or Erie conservative by any means.

In rural portions of PA, conservatives seem to have the loudest voices, but I have definitely seen this changing, especially in Northwestern PA and specifically Meadville, Titusville, Bradford, Warren, etc. I have had some excellent political and economic discussions with patrons at Voodoo Brewery in Meadville and Blue Canoe in Titusville.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I grew up in an suburb of Pittsburgh and moved away and spent most of my 20s out of state in various places. I moved back to raise a family. Now that they're raised, I'm ready to move. My only reason is the climate.

I want something more temperate and less humid. Although a climate without great extremes in winter and summer would be desirable, I could handle having unbearably cold winters if the summers were cooler and less humid.

I'm just tired of feeling like my body is always fighting the weather. Love the rain and cloudy skies. Just can't handle the heat and humidity. Winters weren't bad but when they are they are miserable. Last winter was painful and never ending.

The tradeoff will be the people. I love the people of western PA, and that's what has kept me here all of these years. For that reason, it's very unlikely I'll move. If I can find the perfect climate with friendly people, I'll go in a heartbeat.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:27 AM

300 posts, read 440,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I want something more temperate and less humid. Although a climate without great extremes in winter and summer would be desirable, I could handle having unbearably cold winters if the summers were cooler and less humid.

I'm just tired of feeling like my body is always fighting the weather. Love the rain and cloudy skies. Just can't handle the heat and humidity. Winters weren't bad but when they are they are miserable. Last winter was painful and never ending.
I also am not a fan on the climate. The snow kills me and I feel like sitting around all day when it is cloudy. I have a job lined up in Phoenix and I'm so ready to move. Hot weather, low humidity.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I also am not a fan on the climate. The snow kills me and I feel like sitting around all day when it is cloudy. I have a job lined up in Phoenix and I'm so ready to move. Hot weather, low humidity.
That's very exciting for you! I couldn't handle Phoenix weather. It's way too hot for me even with lower humidity.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's very exciting for you! I couldn't handle Phoenix weather. It's way too hot for me even with lower humidity.
Yes I have friends in Phoenix who keep the thermostat on 84 to "air condition" the place and I am literally dying when I visit them because it is so hot in their house. Phoenix doesn't have the humidity, but it is so dang hot that it is worse in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania