Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 AM

12 posts, read 44,434 times

Advertisements

Tell me about some awesome small towns between Pittsburgh & Erie. I've narrowed my destination down to Western PA. Now I need to narrow it down some more.

Here's what I like:
Country, outdoors, nature, parks, lakes, peace & quiet.
cheap rents, (I just need a cheap crappy 1 bedroom or studio to sleep & wash up)
No traffic
low population
Small/no lines at the post office or doctors office
easy access to highways
low crime

The only thing I really need is a 24 hour Walmart.

No,I don't care about employment, I don't care about schools & I don't care about nightlife. I like what most of you would call "boring". I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or party. And I can't stand being around people. The population is over 60,000 where I am now & I can't stand it. It's a small town in the middle of nowhere that has nothing to offer yet for some strange reason it has NYC traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,383,824 times
I'll start with Zelienople and surrounding areas as a place to consider.
Easy access to I-79 and you can get to I-76 and I-80 within about 15-20 minutes.
Northbound traffic on main street backs up a bit at rush hour but otherwise it's pretty open.
Walmart is 10-15 minutes South on Rt. 19.

When you go more north, it's more rural but a bit harder to find apartments. When there is an apartment, you may be running into the college students for renting.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM

75 posts, read 256,490 times
You might consider the Franklin/Oil City area which has a Super Walmart nearby in Cranberry (not to be confused with Cranberry Township near Pittsburgh).
Walmart Supercenter - Cranberry

Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM

41,706 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Is Meadville is too big? About 15,000 people.

Titusville, Linesville, Conneaut Lake, Mercer ... There are tons of little towns like that scattered all over the place, few of which have populations of more than 10,000.

I used to be enamored with Cambridge Springs, a former resort town and home to the former Alliance College, founded by the Polish National Alliance to educate children of Polish immigrants. And it's such a pretty little town ... or it was, until the college campus was turned into a women's prison.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,831,315 times
I love the Riverside Inn in Cambridge Springs and Meadville is a nice small town. Hank's Custard and Eddie's Footlong Dogs bring back family memories and these places are still good. Voodoo is my new favorite PA beer and the brewery is in Meadville. Oh and the restaurant at the Voodoo brewery is one of the best restaurants I have been to in western PA.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is Meadville is too big? About 15,000 people.

Right now I'm looking at the map all over the Pittsburgh area. And reading threads about each town. And then looking at the cost of living comparison website. I've been reading about Pittsburgh, Erie, Oil City, Johnstown, Altoona, Meadville, Greenville, Hermitage, Youngstown OH, Akron OH, Morgantown WV, Bridgeport WV, Clarksburg WV.

The whole area sounds good. I have no idea how to pick a spot. I need to drive up there & take a look around & meet some people. I was hoping to narrow it down a bit more. This is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. I need to find a cheap temporary place to stay for a few months while I get to know the area.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,831,315 times
For a few other suggestions, I will mention Edinboro and Waterford as other possible options. Edinboro seems to fit most of what you are looking for and has a Wal Mart, but the only issue I see is that when college is in session the traffic can be a little congested. Also, Edinboro might give you the ability to find that cheap rental because of the active rental market related to the college. Here is a rental that fits your description about 10 minutes from Edinboro.

1 bedroom 10 minutes from EUP

Old 07-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Ok, looking at the map I see Grove City & Mercer right near where interstates 79 & 80 cross. That looks like a good center point with easy access to Pittsburgh, Erie, Akron & Cleveland. Are those towns good for a temp. base?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,175,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider 001 View Post
Ok, looking at the map I see Grove City & Mercer right near where interstates 79 & 80 cross. That looks like a good center point with easy access to Pittsburgh, Erie, Akron & Cleveland. Are those towns good for a temp. base?
Both are small, though Grove Citynhas the college and outlet traffic can be heavy at times. Mercer is quiet and off the beaten path, it may be what you are looking for.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I'll start with Zelienople and surrounding areas as a place to consider.

Yeah, I've been looking at the map & that looks like a good area to check out. How is Ellwood City? Lots of places to choose from. Head is spinning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania