Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times

Advertisements

Here is a Plan I devised for Amtrak rail service to the Lehigh Valley. Construction is expected to be completed by 2030 and expected to cost $7.6 Billion. Will rail service to Lehigh valley come back after the Gateway project is completed to NYC? It will after all only be a 90 minute train ride at most according to my plan which is as fast (in rush hour even faster) than driving and perhaps costs less if you include tolls + gas + Parking. Track speed will be 110 mph from reading to Harrisburg (Straight tracks) and 85 MPH elsewhere. Cost will be $ 36 from Bethlehem to NYC, and $ 62 from Harrisburg to NYC per passenger. On the other side, it will also be extended to the state capitol Harrisburg, thereby connecting to western PA by rail via the Pennsylvanian. Tell me your thoughts about my plan.

Lehigh Valley Amtrak Service Plans:
http://goo.gl/maps/QPLZ5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
why do we need another line going from harrisburg to NYP? I'd rather see NY-Allentown and Philadelphia-Allentown/Bethlehem than Harrisburg NY again. Those projects would be far less than $7.6 bn and Philadelphia-Bethlehem is 100% owned by SEPTA

Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
why do we need another line going from harrisburg to NYP? I'd rather see NY-Allentown and Philadelphia-Allentown/Bethlehem than Harrisburg NY again. Those projects would be far less than $7.6 bn and Philadelphia-Bethlehem is 100% owned by SEPTA
This route has a very different approach to Harrisburg and connects major towns with sufficient demand for rail service which don't have one. The primary purpose of this line is to ferry people from NYC to Allentown, and Harrisburg to Allentown approaching from different sides. Connection to SEPTA will be made at Reading in the future by extending the SEPTA Norristown line through Pottstown and till Reading. The entire SEPTA route till Reading will be electrified and SEPTA express services to Reading will skip several inner suburbs stops with less demand. The tracks to Bethlehem have been removed and reconstructed into a trail. Reinstalling tracks will be very expensive, and additionally work will be need to done at all stations in between. Also, SEPTA must separately purchase diesel rolling stock for this route. All costs added, it becomes equally expensive.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I agree with Pman. I go to NYC and Philly a heck of a lot more then I go to Harrisburg. I like the Allentown to NYC portion, but I doubt very much that many people from the LV would care about linking to Harrisburg.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This route has a very different approach to Harrisburg and connects major towns with sufficient demand for rail service which don't have one. The primary purpose of this line is to ferry people from NYC to Allentown, and Harrisburg to Allentown approaching from different sides. Connection to SEPTA will be made at Reading in the future by extending the SEPTA Norristown line through Pottstown and till Reading. The entire SEPTA route till Reading will be electrified and SEPTA express services to Reading will skip several inner suburbs stops with less demand. The tracks to Bethlehem have been removed and reconstructed into a trail. Reinstalling tracks will be very expensive, and additionally work will be need to done at all stations in between. Also, SEPTA must separately purchase diesel rolling stock for this route. All costs added, it becomes equally expensive.
if you gave me $7.6 bn to spend on one big project in Pa it wuold be a new high speed segment between harrisburg and pittsburgh. realistically, I'd restore LV-Philly service via SEPTA's own tracks, allentown-NY service, and Reading-Philly service all before I worried about Allentown-Harrisburg.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
That Route wouldn't cost 7.6 billion...
For 7.6 Billion you can get...
-SEPTA Restored Service to Allentown Electric
-SEPTA Restored Service to Reading Electric
-SEPTA Restored Service to West Chester & Oxford
-SEPTA Restored Service to Newtown
-SEPTA Restored Service to New Hope
-SEPTA Restored Ivy Ridge & Stony Branches
-SEPTA Restored 23 , 56 , 60 Trolleys
-Cross County Metro
-SEPTA NHSL extension to Valley Forge

Last edited by DarkWolf; 12-11-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That Route wouldn't cost 7.6 billion...
OOPS . I meant $760 million.

Correction everybody, Its $760 million.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
if you gave me $7.6 bn to spend on one big project in Pa it wuold be a new high speed segment between harrisburg and pittsburgh. realistically, I'd restore LV-Philly service via SEPTA's own tracks, allentown-NY service, and Reading-Philly service all before I worried about Allentown-Harrisburg.
Sorry, I stand corrected . The cost is supposed to be $ 760 million for this project. For some wierd reason, I thought that was equal to $7.6 billion. I am planning a well developed Harrisburg-Pgh rail system as well. Yet to post it though. That one will also be given priority.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:17 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
There is already a station in Hershey awaiting the return of rail service. Derry Township Industrial and Commercial Development Authority

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected . The cost is supposed to be $ 760 million for this project. For some wierd reason, I thought that was equal to $7.6 billion. I am planning a well developed Harrisburg-Pgh rail system as well. Yet to post it though. That one will also be given priority.
well, that is much more reasonable but I still don't see a parallel route to harrisburg instead of a connection to philly. more investment in the current route could get trip times down to 75 minutes to philly from harrisburg. 2.5 to NYP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania