Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 02:12 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

I am a huge fan of PRR trains, and would like to know what you think about Penn Central's GG1 electric locomotives. Here is a long video to showcase these long lost classics. Hope you rail fans out there enjoy it:

GG1 An American Classic 1of4 - YouTube

Please feel free to share any interesting memories about trains during their era as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I grew up around the "PRR" -- the Wilkes-Barre Branch between Sunbury and its namesake city -- saw the last day of steam operation on a fall Sunday in 1953, but at just past my fourth birthday, was too young to appreciate most of it. Later on, I spenat a lot of time in Harrisburg, where the GG1's came off and the Diesel power went on -- visited HARRIS tower on many occasions when it was still in operation.

For me, five classes of power will symbolize the important component in the development of America's productive infrastucture that was the "Pennsy" -- the K-4 passenger Pacific, the GG-1, the ubiquitous M-1 Mountain, the many varieties of H-class Consolidations, and my personal favorite, the J-1 Texas -- a tool of tremendous productivity engineered in response to the demands of global conflict.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
^^^^

Those steam horns have character. I have never seen a true steam locomotive in action all my life. My interest started out with diesels, especially the classic ALCO (American Locomotives) Diesel DL560C (Called WDM 2 in India) with my favorite shrill pitched horn.

Classic WDM2 Horn - Saurashtra Mail (July 1992) - YouTube

I am going to visit Strasburg, PA during my Christmas break to enjoy my first train ride powered by a steam locomotive . I love loud steam horns followed by chugging action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania