Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 PM

213 posts, read 1,084,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Even though PA for the most part tends to vote democrat, PA democrats are more "old school" democrats....blue collar, working class, union democrats, rather than the new wave of wine-and-cheese elitists.
I don't know any wine and cheese elitists who call themselves Democrats. Must be east coast Democrats!

Anyway, I appreciate your candid reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 PM

40 posts, read 225,176 times
I think you should visit the areas before you decide if you're still unsure... Millersville certainly I think is a no brainer (it takes about 3.5-4 hours by car to travel between the two universities)...

Millersville University has earned its place among US News & World Report's top public universities in the North and is recognized for its academic excellence in Martin Nemko's book, "How to Get an Ivy League Education at a State University."
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...as_n_brief.php

They also have a lot more $$ than Lock Haven... Lock Haven's campus was falling apart literally when I attended in 03' and 04' not to mention its isolation and being noted as a school for rich stupid kids from Jersey to go get trashed at (their standards for admission are really low). Lock Haven is known for graduating a substantial number of gym teachers... academic rigor is not their speciality.

Also... Lancaster County was rated the 18th safest metro area in the U.S. out of all 344 metros in the U.S.

The City of Lancaster is what I was refering to as being more Liberal. It's probably the only municipality, be it the largest, that has a majority of Democrats on council and a Democratic mayor.

The north western part of the city is really quite nice and is near F&M College and many cool bars and the baseball stadium...

However, I really don't think, unless you're a political zealot, that living in Millersville or any of the burbs around Lancaster would be detrimental.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM

213 posts, read 1,084,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackooboy View Post
However, I really don't think, unless you're a political zealot, that living in Millersville or any of the burbs around Lancaster would be detrimental.
No, no, not a political zealot. Can hardly wait till this election is over and the daily dozen political phone calls stop, the negative ads stop running, and the lawn signs come down.

I think I'll apply for the job and see where it leads. Even if I'm offered the job, I don't have to take it if I don't have good vibes after I visit the place. I just didn't want to spend a great deal of time preparing an application if I knew ahead of time that I wasn't interested in living there.

Thanks for sharing opinions.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,859 times
Default looking for room to let in Lock Haven

Will be in Lock Haven for 6weeks this summer.. Needing housing. Sublet or room to let would be great.
Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM

84 posts, read 418,172 times
My husband and I both graduated from MU (95 & 96) and loved it! It is a very friendly area with pretty scenery. If you love to shop, the Rockvale Outlet Center and Tanger Outlet Center are only about 30 min away (20 if you learn the back way). I can't really tell you about the political climate because I'm pretty clueless in that area.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,705 times
Default Lock Haven University vs Millersville University

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Two universities, two jobs in my area. One in Lock Haven PA and another in Millersville PA. Have never been to either place.

Which university is better (has the better reputation)? Which area/town is better (safer, friendlier, economically healthier, more liberal...)?

Thanks!
Hi,
I'm originally from Lanc. moved to Lock Haven in 86, and then back to Lanc. 10 yrs. later and now I am back to Lock Haven for past 4 years. As far as comparing Universities, I believe they are similar. As far as towns, Lock Haven is much smaller which of course means less crime, less drugs.... that's not to say there isn't any crime or drugs. The crime is so minimal to that of Lancasters. What is the job? As far as the friendliest, small towns have more close-nit circles. I moved here my senior year and to this day I am still considered an "outsider", although there are so many of us "outsiders" we seem to find each other. I do have a lot of friends who are "townies" I know it sounds silly describing it that way.

I do miss living in Lanc., you can drive to a great restaurant in 10 min. or to the mall. But Lock Haven is very limited for both. 45 min. to nearest mall and 30 min. to a nice restaurant. The only big chain restaurant we have here is a Ruby Tuesdays. We do have a big Walmart, Kmart and a Lowes just open the summer.

Hope this helped you somewhat, feel free to email me if you have anymore questions. Good luck!!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:31 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
The op for this thread has only posted on a board regarding North Dakota places since this past summer. Not close to PA.....

Old 07-11-2009, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,521 times
I went to both universities and liked Lock Haven better. I did grow up in Lock Haven and was pretty use to the area before i left. The people that replied earlier did have some fair points but Lock Haven is a much safer school. I got mugged 4 times in the 2 years that I lived in Millersville. Its also really inconvient living in Millersville without a car as most freshmen have to plus the parking for Millersville is attrocious. to get to Lancaster you have to take a minimum of 2 buses from the university and the nearest walmart is on the opposite side of town and it was really confusing to get to. The ecomonic depression is pretty bad in Lock Haven but the crime that occurs in Millersville was amazing to me when I was down there. In Lock Haven theres not much to watch on the news other than like PR crap but when I was in Millersville there was kids that were at risk for AIDS because of needles on the playground, some needles were found in the playland at the Lancaster McDonalds, there are bars on all the buisnesses in downtown Lancaster, we saw street racing my first day and some tranny prostitutes. Also both schools are pretty equal on the partying front but Lock Haven is stricter and more likely to bust anyone for underage or public intoxication. A plus for Millersville was that they had later classes there days end at 9pm whereas Lock Havens day ends at 5 or 6

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 18,930 times
Both Lock Haven and Millersville are conservative areas. Lock Haven is a very small peaceful quiet town, its beautiful place. I would say Lock Haven is very remote, though Millersville is a small area as well but is surrounded by lots of growth and development. I personally wouldn't worry about the political issues, whether your liberal or conservative. I think we all get along pretty well regardless. I myself can be extremely conservative in some things and extremely liberal in others so I get an earful from both sides. The city of Philadelphia and Lancaster both have very liberal people, and being in Millersville you would be close to both. If you lived in millersville you would be about 4 miles from the city of Lancaster and about 80 from Philadelphia.

Lancaster Pennsylvania Dutch Country Travel Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania