Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Ehh. I definitely wouldn't say more vibrant. I've been to Oakland several times, I had a friend that went to Pitt, but I've never lived there, so correct me if I'm wrong. Present day University City is certainly more vibrant than Oakland. There's more than just students living in UCity now and that trend is continuing and there is still UPenn, Drexel and University of the Sciences.
My new favorite picture of Oakland.
http://www.joshuadavidmooney.com/wp-...t-PGH1-029.jpg

I just ran the numbers, and you'll be surprised. They are near dead even. CMU is technically part of Squirrel Hill South, but only by a technicality.

Oakland - 43,968
Pitt Undergrad - 18,427
Pitt Grad/Post - 10,339
CMU Undergrad - 6,223
CMU Grad/Post - 6,685
Carlow Undergrad - 1,411
Carlow Grad/Post - 883

University City - 43,506
UPenn Undergrad - 10,301
UPenn Grad/Post - 11,028
Drexel Undergrad - 15,876 - 1,674(online only) = 14,202
Drexel Grad/Post - 8,126 - 3,452(online only) = 4,674

University of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carnegie Mellon University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carlow University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
University of Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Drexel University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I would consider Oakland having a slightly larger feel though. University City certainly has more highrises but Oakland has more 6-10 story buildings which give the street wall a larger feel.
I'm not 100% that's true. I'm not saying it isn't, but lets make a list. I'll do Oakland's, you do University City's.

Oakland -

Cathedral of Learning - 535 ft [7th tallest in Pittsbugh]
List of tallest buildings in Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Heinz Hall - 253 ft
Heinz Chapel, Pittsburgh | Building 157328 | EMPORIS
UPMC Presby Hospital - 236 ft
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, Pittsburgh | Building 157310 | EMPORIS
Litchfield Tower B - 225 ft
Chevron Science Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Biomedical Tower - 220 ft
Thomas E. Starzl Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh | Building 156999 | EMPORIS
Chevron Hall - 217 ft
Thomas Detre Hall - 214 ft
Thomas Detre Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 157312 | EMPORIS
Biomedical Science Tower 3 - 204 ft
Thomas E. Starzl Biomedical Science Tower, Pittsburgh | Building 156999 | EMPORIS
Litchfield Tower A - 199 ft
UPMC Tower - 195 ft
Eye and Ear Institute, Pittsburgh | Building 240371 | EMPORIS
Benedum Hall - 186 ft
Benedum Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 121969 | EMPORIS
Lothrop Hall - 180 ft
Lothrop Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 121968 | EMPORIS
Litchfield Tower C -175 ft
UPMC Montefiore - 158 ft
UPMC Montefiore Hospital, Pittsburgh | Building 157327 | EMPORIS
Victoria Building - 156 ft
Victoria Building, Pittsburgh | Building 240378 | EMPORIS
Brackenridge Hall - 156 ft
Brackenridge Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 157000 | EMPORIS
Bruce Hall - 144 ft
Bruce Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 157002 | EMPORIS
Amos Hall - 133 ft
Amos Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 240366 | EMPORIS
McCormick Hall - 132 ft
McCormick Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 240369 | EMPORIS
Holland Hall - 132 ft
Holland Hall, Pittsburgh | Building 240367 | EMPORIS
William Pitt Union - 122 ft
William Pitt Union, Pittsburgh | Building 190189 | EMPORIS
Parran Hall - 111 ft
http://www.emporis.com/building/parr...tsburgh-pa-usa

Still more I'm missing, but that's a hefty list of High/Mid rises.

University City -

*Complete this list for me, I don't know building names to find heights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Sounds to me like you're jealous. Very jealous.

This is not "cheerleading."

I live in the heart of University City and what is happening in my neighborhood is extraordinary. In one crummy square mile is a dozen and a half new construction projects totalling over 3.5 Billion dollars. Cranes everywhere. Massive street landscaping projects, new lighting, new restaurants and retail shops. All these jobs are providing employment for thousands of workers in the 'burbs ... not the other way around as you suggest.

I am also happy for Pittsburgh. I am cheering for the entire Keystone state. I can only hope we will get some good news out of Allentown, Erie, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, etc. as well.

This reply reeks of nothing but Blind Homerism....

Let's get this straight... Philadelphia (the City) has a serious job problem all the cranes and Towers going up is not changing that fact... The only serious player I've read about really bring jobs to the city is Comcast... However even Comcast isn't enough to cure Philadelphia unemployment problem.

Philadelphia would be damn near Detroit jobs wise if it wasn't for its Burbs carrying the city on its back...Let's be serious about this.... Even KOP outproduces the city when it comes to Job Density....

I'm sorry but if your city sucks at producing jobs to population, that drags your rankings down significantly in my book. I can't live without a job and shouldn't have to travel over an hr in a reverse commute just to have a decent job, I might as well just live in burbs, which is where most of Philly (outside of the Center City Yuppies) affluence lives anyway.

I like Philly, I do, it has a ton of potential... But you Philly Homers can be a Delusional Bunch, about the current status of Philadelphia and its place in the World....

Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
This reply reeks of nothing but Blind Homerism....

Let's get this straight... Philadelphia (the City) has a serious job problem all the cranes and Towers going up is not changing that fact... The only serious player I've read about really bring jobs to the city is Comcast... However even Comcast isn't enough to cure Philadelphia unemployment problem.

Philadelphia would be damn near Detroit jobs wise if it wasn't for its Burbs carrying the city on its back...Let's be serious about this.... Even KOP outproduces the city when it comes to Job Density....

I'm sorry but if your city sucks at producing jobs to population, that drags your rankings down significantly in my book. I can't live without a job and shouldn't have to travel over an hr in a reverse commute just to have a decent job, I might as well just live in burbs, which is where most of Philly (outside of the Center City Yuppies) affluence lives anyway.

I like Philly, I do, it has a ton of potential... But you Philly Homers can be a Delusional Bunch, about the current status of Philadelphia and its place in the World....
Clark made a very level-headed post. If he mischaracterized your sentiment as "jealous," I'll clarify the record by pointing out that you have a weird chip on your shoulder when it comes to Philadelphia, whatever the motivating factor may be.

University City is taking off. I live close to the Schuylkill, and what was a near-dead zone two years ago has transformed into a lovely stretch of shops, bars, and resraurants, thanks in no small part to Drexel's Revitalization projects. Our recent projects are already seeing strong results, and will only continue to do so in the years to come. For me this isn't a pissing contest between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, as I hold both near and dear to my heart. The only one in this thread who's bashing either city is you.

And really? Philly would be Detroit without its suburbs? Talk about a homer-ish claim. Read the report posted earlier in the thread; Center City Philadelphia has one of the highest job densities in the country. While Oakland is significantly denser than U City, Center City Philadelphia actually exceeds Downtown Pittsburgh by a sizeable margin. Note that I say "exceeds" and not "beats," because I don't see it as a contest. Again, if, for whatever reason, you think those stats are wrong, please post the right data and bring us all up to speed.

Philly job decentralization is no doubt an issue. But it's steadily correcting itself as more and more businesses relocate to the urban core. Yuppies have expanded their sphere of influence well past Center City into Fairmount, NoLibs, Grad Hospital, Bella Vista/Queen Village, even Port Richmond and Fishtown, not to mention the non-student heavy sections of U City and immediately surrounding. That's not even including Chestnut Hill and W. Mt. Airy. Manayunk has been a hot destination since at least the latter half of the '90s.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are both starting to really take off. They each have their pros and cons. Spit back at me ad hominem red herrings at me if you must, but this discussion would be much more beneficial to all if you can provide hard data. Better yet, maybe we all can have a pleasant discussion. It's up to you.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:16 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Summers you've never been to Pittsburgh you know nothing about Pittsburgh other than what you find on Google and what you read here on CD, and judging by your Deep Homerism, I venture to say you've never been west of I-81.

Market/Walnut/Chesnut have the Bustling pulse of the Fifth Forbes corridors. UCity through those corridors gives off a more "Village" vibe than CBD like a Fifth and Forbes does. Both are very Vibrant, but University city seems a slower pace to Oakland.... Fifth Ave through Oakland @ 5pm looks like NYC with the gridlock traffic up and down the 5 lanes of Fifth Ave

Fifth

Fifth 2

Forbes

Forbes 2
Why can't we for once have a civilized conversation. This wasn't a pissing contest, but you're coming in here and turning in to one.

Hmmm... well, I have close friends who went to Penn State and Pitt, and I've been to State College and Pittsburgh multiple tomes. So yes, I've been past I-81 lol.

If you think those pictures look like NYC than I have to LOL because you've never been to NYC.

Philly has more gridlocked streets than that with more pedestrians walking around.

I'll post my own pics of UCity later

Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Why can't we for once have a civilized conversation. This wasn't a pissing contest, but you're coming in here and turning in to one.

Hmmm... well, I have close friends who went to Penn State and Pitt, and I've been to State College and Pittsburgh multiple tomes. So yes, I've been past I-81 lol.

If you think those pictures look like NYC than I have to LOL because you've never been to NYC.

Philly has more gridlocked streets than that with more pedestrians walking around.

I'll post my own pics of UCity later
Please you started this thread as a "Pissing Contest" (as are most of threads you OP are "Philly vs. WhateverCity USA" Pissing contests) because your own inflated insecure Philly Ego can't stand the Fact that Other cities Larger or Smaller may do somethings better than Philadelphia and have better metrics than Philly. I have never read once where you concede that X-City may actually do this Better than Philly, usually you try to caveat the data and skew in a direction that makes Philly look better (which pretty much anyone can do when the data isn't an absolute). Case-In-Point, the whole "When Philadelphia put PA back on the Map" thread.. The title in of itself is incredibly Hubris to the rest of PA .... Seriously love the pissing contest you and the Philly Homers had about Minneapolis, that was classic.

You can't stand that Philly takes a back seat to the Burgh on anything because Philly is bigger therefore it automatically dominates all metrics..LOL...Tell that to LA and SF in CA... Bigger doesn't always equate to better. It was bound to come to this, just based on your OP alone.

BTW those pictures weren't referencing the Rush Hour of Oakland.... They're just merely an indication of the true CBD atmosphere of Oakland.

And if you're going to post pics, I prefer photo's of Market/Chestnut/Walnut/Spruce between 34 and 46 st which are the Core of U city. I dare you to show me something where those street are carries the same Rush-Hour Traffic of Fifth Ave Oakland.

I mean seriously UC main corridor streets are Tree-lined with Single Family Homes and Off-Campus Frat Houses in sections. While Fifth and Forbes through Central Oakland is purely Businesses (Small and Large) and main Institutions.

Anyone who has been in both Oakland and UC and can objectively (this excludes obsessive insecure stat driven Philly homers) look at the two areas will NOT come away with UC being more CBD-like than Oakland.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-05-2014 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Let's get this straight... Philadelphia (the City) has a serious job problem all the cranes and Towers going up is not changing that fact...
Really? Because there are new office buildings being built, bring jobs to Philadelphia. Philadelphia IS in fact growing jobs.

Comcast Innovation and Technology Center- 59 floor office building and hotel
FMC Tower- 47 floor office building
W & Element by Westin0 50 floor hotel
SLS International- 47 floor tower- half hotel
700 Schuylkill Ave- 23 floor medical research tower
Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floor medical research/healthcare tower
3737 Market- 13 floor medical research and office tower

Not to mention the slew of other buildings that aren't highrises that are creating jobs like the Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology, the Neural & Behavioral Sciences Center, and all of the office buildings being built in the Navy Yard.

Quote:
The only serious player I've read about really bring jobs to the city is Comcast... However even Comcast isn't enough to cure Philadelphia unemployment problem.
The Comcast Innovation and Technology Center will house 4,000 employees. That is more employees in one tower than Pittsburgh creates in employment in a year. ONLY 1,000 of those jobs are currently housed in Philly and will be moved to this tower. 1,500 of those jobs will be newly created, and 1,500 employees will be brought in from out of state or from the suburbs.

That is 3,000 new jobs for the city that are not currently in the city:
Comcast Seeks to Redefine Philadelphia and Itself | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Urban Outfitters is adding 2,000 new employees to it's Navy Yard corporate campus in South Philly:
Philly-Based Urban Outfitters Expanding | NBC 10 Philadelphia

600 jobs from Horizon Lines moving from the Port of Newark, NJ to the Port of Philadelphia
http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...-philadelphia/

More companies relocating to or expanding in Philly:
Brazilian pulp and paper company to relocate to Tioga - Philly.com
Axalta Coatings Moving Its Corporate Headquarters to Philadelphia « CBS Philly
Nutter welcomes Brand.com to new HQ in Center City Philadelphia
Australian energy-efficiency firm makes Philadelphia move - Philly.com
https://technical.ly/philly/2013/07/...office-nutter/
Governor Corbett: Commuter Services Company to Relocate Headquarters to Philadelphia, Creating 75 New Jobs | PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED)
Mayor Nutter Welcomes New Technology Company to Philadelphia | City of Philadelphia's News & Alerts
https://technical.ly/philly/2012/08/...-in-september/

Quote:
The total employment currently in King of Prussia is 57,000 employees.
http://www.visitkop.com/wp-content/u..._spread4-5.pdf

Center City Philadelphia has OVER 288,000 employees. Not only is it BY FAR the largest employment center in the state of PA, but it is one of the largest employment centers in the country.

With UCity's roughly 80,000 employees, the Core of Philadelphia has 380,000 employees. Only Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco and DC have more jobs in their central business district. The core of Philadelphia is one of the LARGEST employment centers in the country.

Quote:
I'm sorry but if your city sucks at producing jobs to population, that drags your rankings down significantly in my book.
That is definitely your opinion! Everyone is free to have their own. Philly as a metro is VERY good for resident to job ratio however, and the city has been doing a much much better job recently attracting employers and growing jobs.

Quote:
I can't live without a job and shouldn't have to travel over an hr in a reverse commute just to have a decent job, I might as well just live in burbs, which is where most of Philly (outside of the Center City Yuppies) affluence lives anyway.
If you had experience or a degree, I guarantee you would get a job in Philly. The majority of the people who can't find jobs weren't privileged enough to get a degree. As far as yuppies only being in Center City, so not correct. South Philly? Graduate Hospital, Queen Village, Hawthorne, Packer Park, Marconi Plaza, Girard Estates, and increasingly Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing and Newbold. West Philly? University City- go to Domus and there are Bentley's and Porsche's parked in the parking garage. Spruce Hill, Powelton Village, Clark Park. Lower North? Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden. Northwest? Manayunk, East Falls, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill. Northeast? Fox Chase, Bustleton, Somerton.
^ These neighborhoods have homes in the $800k to $1 million and higher.

You do realize that suburbs all over the country are wealthier on average than their city counterparts correct? Even in NYC, LA and San Francisco this is the case.

Also, why is someone from Pittsburgh of all places lecturing the city of Philly on capturing wealth within the city limits? Pittsburgh is majority middle class, Philly has much more wealth within the city limits than Pittsburgh.

Out of the 100 wealthiest zipcodes in PA, THE ONLY CITY ZIPCODE is Society Hill in Philadelphia:
Highest Income Zip Codes in Pennsylvania State (PA) | Localistica.com

Nine of the top ten wealthiest zipcodes in the state all surround Philadelphia, with ONE being in the Lehigh Valley. The top two, Gladwyne and Villanova, are also among the wealthiest in the country.

Quote:
No one is delusional. It's clear you're just very jealous or clearly very unfamiliar with modern day Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is ranked as an Alpha- city, which is a very high world class ranking. The other U.S. Cities ranked as an Alpha- are Atlanta, Miami, Boston and Dallas.

The only cities ranked above it, are the Alpha's Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington D.C., the Alpha+ Chicago, and the Alpha++ New York City.

Pittsburgh? It's ranked as a Gamma city, including Detroit: which you so hilariously compared Philly to, as well as MANY other cities
Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2013)

Any more questions and ridiculous remarks? Or can we keep this thread civil, something you seem to be incapable of doing.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Really? Because there are new office buildings being built, bring jobs to Philadelphia. Philadelphia IS in fact growing jobs.

Comcast Innovation and Technology Center- 59 floor office building and hotel
FMC Tower- 47 floor office building
W & Element by Westin0 50 floor hotel
SLS International- 47 floor tower- half hotel
700 Schuylkill Ave- 23 floor medical research tower
Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floor medical research/healthcare tower
3737 Market- 13 floor medical research and office tower

Not to mention the slew of other buildings that aren't highrises that are creating jobs like the Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology, the Neural & Behavioral Sciences Center, and all of the office buildings being built in the Navy Yard.

The Comcast Innovation and Technology Center will house 4,000 employees. That is more employees in one tower than Pittsburgh creates in employment in a year. ONLY 1,000 of those jobs are currently housed in Philly and will be moved to this tower. 1,500 of those jobs will be newly created, and 1,500 employees will be brought in from out of state or from the suburbs.

That is 3,000 new jobs for the city that are not currently in the city:
Comcast Seeks to Redefine Philadelphia and Itself | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Urban Outfitters is adding 2,000 new employees to it's Navy Yard corporate campus in South Philly:
Philly-Based Urban Outfitters Expanding | NBC 10 Philadelphia

600 jobs from Horizon Lines moving from the Port of Newark, NJ to the Port of Philadelphia
Governor Corbett Officially Welcomes Horizon Lines to Port of Philadelphia - Business News - redOrbit

More companies relocating to or expanding in Philly:
Brazilian pulp and paper company to relocate to Tioga - Philly.com
Axalta Coatings Moving Its Corporate Headquarters to Philadelphia « CBS Philly
Nutter welcomes Brand.com to new HQ in Center City Philadelphia
Australian energy-efficiency firm makes Philadelphia move - Philly.com
https://technical.ly/philly/2013/07/...office-nutter/
Governor Corbett: Commuter Services Company to Relocate Headquarters to Philadelphia, Creating 75 New Jobs | PA Department of Community & Economic Development (DCED)
Mayor Nutter Welcomes New Technology Company to Philadelphia | City of Philadelphia's News & Alerts
https://technical.ly/philly/2012/08/...-in-september/

The total employment currently in King of Prussia is 57,000 employees.
http://www.visitkop.com/wp-content/u..._spread4-5.pdf

Center City Philadelphia has OVER 288,000 employees. Not only is it BY FAR the largest employment center in the state of PA, but it is one of the largest employment centers in the country.

With UCity's roughly 80,000 employees, the Core of Philadelphia has 380,000 employees. Only Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco and DC have more jobs in their central business district. The core of Philadelphia is one of the LARGEST employment centers in the country.

That is definitely your opinion! Everyone is free to have their own. Philly as a metro is VERY good for resident to job ratio however, and the city has been doing a much much better job recently attracting employers and growing jobs.

If you had experience or a degree, I guarantee you would get a job in Philly. The majority of the people who can't find jobs weren't privileged enough to get a degree. As far as yuppies only being in Center City, so not correct. South Philly? Graduate Hospital, Queen Village, Hawthorne, Packer Park, Marconi Plaza, Girard Estates, and increasingly Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing and Newbold. West Philly? University City- go to Domus and there are Bentley's and Porsche's parked in the parking garage. Spruce Hill, Powelton Village, Clark Park. Lower North? Fairmount, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden. Northwest? Manayunk, East Falls, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill. Northeast? Fox Chase, Bustleton, Somerton.
^ These neighborhoods have homes in the $800k to $1 million and higher.

You do realize that suburbs all over the country are wealthier on average than their city counterparts correct? Even in NYC, LA and San Francisco this is the case.

Also, why is someone from Pittsburgh of all places lecturing the city of Philly on capturing wealth within the city limits? Pittsburgh is majority middle class, Philly has much more wealth within the city limits than Pittsburgh.

Out of the 100 wealthiest zipcodes in PA, THE ONLY CITY ZIPCODE is Society Hill in Philadelphia:
Highest Income Zip Codes in Pennsylvania State (PA) | Localistica.com

Nine of the top ten wealthiest zipcodes in the state all surround Philadelphia, with ONE being in the Lehigh Valley. The top two, Gladwyne and Villanova, are also among the wealthiest in the country.

No one is delusional. It's clear you're just very jealous or clearly very unfamiliar with modern day Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is ranked as an Alpha- city, which is a very high world class ranking. The other U.S. Cities ranked as an Alpha- are Atlanta, Miami, Boston and Dallas.

The only cities ranked above it, are the Alpha's Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington D.C., the Alpha+ Chicago, and the Alpha++ New York City.

Pittsburgh? It's ranked as a Gamma city, including Detroit: which you so hilariously compared Philly to, as well as MANY other cities
Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2013)

Any more questions and ridiculous remarks? Or can we keep this thread civil, something you seem to be incapable of doing.
Dude you wasted you time with all that fluff....This tells the real story....End of Story!

Philadelphia Unemployment = 8.4

Pittsburgh Unemployment = 5.8

Amazing Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are polar opposites in where the Jobs actually are. And Supports just what I've been saying ... City of Philadelphia has a JOBS Problem! The City relies heavily on Jobs produced in its Burbs!

Still waiting on those Bustling CBD UC Pics BTW!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Wealthiest Boroughs/Cities/Townships in Pennsylvania

1. Fox Chapel, PA - $183,750 - Pittsburgh
2. Sewickley Heights, PA $165,968 - Pittsburgh
3. Upper Makefield Township, PA $163,995 - Philadelphia
4. Upper Uwchlan Township, PA $156,482 Philadelphia
5. Rose Valley, PA $156,042 Philadelphia
6. Ben Avon Heights, PA $151,733 Pittsburgh
7. West Pikeland Township, PA $148,438 Philadelphia
8. Charlestown Township, PA $145,556 Philadelphia
9. Pine Township, PA $143,287 Pittsburgh
10. Edgeworth, PA $142,917 Pittsburgh
11. Marshall Township, PA $128,409 Pittsburgh

American FactFinder - Community Facts

So out of the top 11 in the state, 6 are in Pittsburgh and 5 are in Philadelphia, with Fox Chapel single-handedly being the wealthiest municipality in the state. Low blow to go by zip code, everyone from PA knows they aren't indicative of an area.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

I just ran the numbers, and you'll be surprised. They are near dead even. CMU is technically part of Squirrel Hill South, but only by a technicality.
Definitely dead even on student numbers, I didn't deny that. I was saying there are more than just students living in UCity now. Like there are young professionals, doctors, nurses, professors, etc. The population of University City is about 79,000, and the one mile area around University City is 116,000 NOT including Center City.

Quote:
I'm not 100% that's true. I'm not saying it isn't, but lets make a list. I'll do Oakland's, you do University City's.
Still more I'm missing, but that's a hefty list of High/Mid rises.
So Oakland has:

>500 ft: 1
>400 ft: 0
>300 ft: 0
>200 ft: 7
>100 ft: 14

Total buildings over 100 ft: 22

University City -
Emporis' numbers are so off

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South- 47 floors- 656 feet
Under construction- upon completion will be the 7th tallest in Philly
Brandywine to build 47-story FMC Tower in U City

Cira Centre- 27 floors- 437 feet
Evo at Cira Centre South- 33 floors- 430 feet- under construction
3601 Market- 28 floors- 320 feet- under construction
Harrison College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Hamilton College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Harnwell College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Translational Research Center- 14 floors- 295 feet
Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floors- 292 feet- under construction
Lancaster Square- 25 floors- 279 feet- under construction
38Chestnut- 25 floors- 278 feet- under construction
Sansom Place East- 23 floors- 264 feet
Sheraton Hotel University City- 22 floors- 263 feet
3535 Market- 18 floors- 250 feet
Biomedical Research Building- 15 floors- 247 feet
Penn Tower- 20 floors- 241 feet
Abramson Pediatric Research Center- 15 floors- 219 feet
University Square- 19 floors- 218 feet
Blockley Hall- 14 floors- 204 feet
Stellar-Chance Laboratories- 12 floors- 197 feet
Millennium Hall- 17 floors- 195 feet
Sansom Place West- 17 floors- 195 feet
Towers Hall- 15 floors- 172 feet
The Radian- 14 floors- 161 feet
International House- 14 floors- 161 feet
University Crossings- 14 floors- 161 feet
Van Rensselaer Hall- 11 floors- 159 feet
Huntsman Hall- 12 floors- 157 feet
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 12 floors- 153 feet
CHOP Northwest Tower- 12 floors- 153 feet
Colket Translational Research Building- 11 floors- 152 feet
Garden Court Plaza- 13 floros- 149 feet
3001 Walnut- 10 floors- 146 feet
3701 Market- 8 floors- 141 feet
National Board of Medical Examiners Building- 10 floors- 139 feet
Race Street Residence Hall- 13 floors- 138 feet
3711 Market- 10 floors- 138 feet
3600 Market- 9 floors- 131 feet
Clinical Research Building- 8 floors- 131 feet
Kelly Hall- 11 floors- 126 feet
Franklin Building- 8 floors- 116 feet
Chestnut Hall- 10 floors- 115 feet
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia- 9 floors- 115 feet
Philadelphia VA Medical Center- 9 floors- 115 feet
133 S. 36th Street- 7 floors- 102 feet
Nesbitt Hall- 7 floors- 101 feet

University City | Buildings | EMPORIS
Powelton Village | Buildings | EMPORIS
Garden Court | Buildings | EMPORIS

So University City has:

>600 ft: 1
>500 ft: 0
>400 ft: 2
>300 ft: 4
>200 ft: 12
>100 ft: 27

Total buildings over 100ft: 46

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 04-05-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM

[quote=Summersm343;34234179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Definitely dead even on student numbers, I didn't deny that. I was saying there are more than just students living in UCity now. Like there are young professionals, doctors, nurses, professors, etc. The population of University City is about 79,000, and the one mile area around University City is 116,000 NOT including Center City.

So Oakland has:

>500 ft: 1
>400 ft: 0
>300 ft: 0
>200 ft: 7
>100 ft: 14

Total buildings over 100 ft: 22

University City -
Emporis' numbers are so off

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South- 47 floors- 656 feet
Under construction- upon completion will be the 7th tallest in Philly
Brandywine to build 47-story FMC Tower in U City

Cira Centre- 27 floors- 437 feet
Evo at Cira Centre South- 33 floors- 430 feet- under construction
3601 Market- 28 floors- 320 feet- under construction
Harrison College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Hamilton College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Harnwell College House- 26 floors- 301 feet
Translational Research Center- 14 floors- 295 feet
Buerger Center for Advanced Pediatric Care- 14 floors- 292 feet- under construction
Lancaster Square- 25 floors- 279 feet- under construction
38Chestnut- 25 floors- 278 feet- under construction
Sansom Place East- 23 floors- 264 feet
Sheraton Hotel University City- 22 floors- 263 feet
3535 Market- 18 floors- 250 feet
Biomedical Research Building- 15 floors- 247 feet
Penn Tower- 20 floors- 241 feet
Abramson Pediatric Research Center- 15 floors- 219 feet
University Square- 19 floors- 218 feet
Blockley Hall- 14 floors- 204 feet
Stellar-Chance Laboratories- 12 floors- 197 feet
Millennium Hall- 17 floors- 195 feet
Sansom Place West- 17 floors- 195 feet
Towers Hall- 15 floors- 172 feet
The Radian- 14 floors- 161 feet
International House- 14 floors- 161 feet
University Crossings- 14 floors- 161 feet
Van Rensselaer Hall- 11 floors- 159 feet
Huntsman Hall- 12 floors- 157 feet
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania- 12 floors- 153 feet
CHOP Northwest Tower- 12 floors- 153 feet
Colket Translational Research Building- 11 floors- 152 feet
Garden Court Plaza- 13 floros- 149 feet
3001 Walnut- 10 floors- 146 feet
3701 Market- 8 floors- 141 feet
National Board of Medical Examiners Building- 10 floors- 139 feet
Race Street Residence Hall- 13 floors- 138 feet
3711 Market- 10 floors- 138 feet
3600 Market- 9 floors- 131 feet
Clinical Research Building- 8 floors- 131 feet
Kelly Hall- 11 floors- 126 feet
Franklin Building- 8 floors- 116 feet
Chestnut Hall- 10 floors- 115 feet
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia- 9 floors- 115 feet
Philadelphia VA Medical Center- 9 floors- 115 feet
133 S. 36th Street- 7 floors- 102 feet
Nesbitt Hall- 7 floors- 101 feet

University City | Buildings | EMPORIS
Powelton Village | Buildings | EMPORIS
Garden Court | Buildings | EMPORIS

So University City has:

>600 ft: 1
>500 ft: 0
>400 ft: 2
>300 ft: 4
>200 ft: 12
>100 ft: 27

Total buildings over 100ft: 46
Oh I can guarentee there are more than 22. My guess would be near 50. I was just going off the top of my head haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania