Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 02:40 PM

23 posts, read 119,784 times

Advertisements

Hello! My partner and I plan on building our very own tiny house, but on a foundation due to his height. We're trying to find a small piece of land to build, 1-5 acres, in a rural wooded area or mostly wooded area. The only problem is building codes. We plan on using solar panels for our electric and digging a water well for our water so we're able to be completely off grid! Does anyone know of any place outside of townships that has little to no building codes or can at least get away with our little house? I have a friend who lives in the country down a dirt road in a small wooded area and he definitely isn't up to code! No one seems to bother him and I would love a place like that, but I'm having a very hard time finding one and he wouldn't be able to help me. Ideally I'd like to stay in Southeastern Pa. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
There is a state wide building code in PA and a code office or enforcement agent in every county. I might suggest purchasing a primitive (meaning no electricity) hunting cabin or "cabin shell" in northern PA if you really want to live "off the grid." Some cabins in northern Potter County may even have their own private gas well. These cabins would be "grandfathered" in and not subject to code. There is little chance that you could fulfill your dream in southeastern PA.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 119,784 times
We've decided to instead build on a trailer so it would be classified as a trailer/mobile home/ etc. You can get away with building codes that way, but we still want to buy our own land in Southeastern Pa and use solar panels as our electric and water well as our water. We don't want to be in a trailer park. Do you think now it's more possible to find wooded secluded land living in a "trailer" and being completely off grid?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I'm not sure what building codes you think trailers are exempt from but you might want to rethink that. There are still codes to be followed. Some, as wells5 pointed out, are state, some county, and some local.

I think his suggestion of buying a hunting cabin would be your best bet.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm not sure what building codes you think trailers are exempt from but you might want to rethink that. There are still codes to be followed. Some, as wells5 pointed out, are state, some county, and some local.

I think his suggestion of buying a hunting cabin would be your best bet.
And most of those will be north of I80.

OP, the southeastern part of the state will be difficult, if not impossible to find something you want. In addition, that part of PA is some of the most expensive.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Worse than the building code for what you may want to do, may be the septic code. Basically no soil zone in PA passes for an inground trench system common in other states. The drywell still legal (last I knew) in NY is nowhere legal in PA. Most common is a sand mound with a dosing tank, with a pump that could be a drain on the solar panel output. A cheap rural property might not pass for this even so you could be looking at a mini sewage treatment plant (many more $$$ and electrons burned here) or even totally impossible for residential construction.

A holding tank is not allowable for new-build residential, and a legal privy even detached from the main house is basically a holding tank - and a greywater system in PA, has many more approval hoops and even then only gets you a 40% reduction in the footprint of what you would otherwise have to do for an absorption area.

You could new-build a "recreational cabin" (unless the local township declared that not possible, which many did especially in the southeast) without building code, but that carries a deed restriction requirement, and doesn't exempt you from the septic code.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And most of those will be north of I80.

OP, the southeastern part of the state will be difficult, if not impossible to find something you want. In addition, that part of PA is some of the most expensive.
I agree. If you are looking for low cost land without strict land use limits, SE PA is the last place in the state to venture.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Having no building or zoning codes might not be desirable. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that you love your new location and decide to constantly improve your lot and dwelling. Your property, your capitol investment, then might have real worth. However; you could have neighbors that also enjoy the no-regulations zone you live in. Somebody might start a shale pit and a heavy equipment contractor could decide to store all of their outdated/broken equipment on the other side - then nobody wants your property. You could lose all of your investment (if you decided to sell).

I also agree that you probably have to look north for properties like you describe.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-22-2014 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania