Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:30 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,935,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
youre missing the forest for the trees. first of all if you made 500k youd be paying 97k not 75k in taxes. a poor family, one at the poverty level , would pay virtually nothing. the exemption actually makes the flat tax progressive. the fact is buffett was pointing out he paud something like 12% not 35%. flat taxes are fine at the federal level , onstead we have a syatem that pretends to be progressive but can often be regressive (where the proportion decreases as income increases). via the use of deductions, loopholes, amd regressive taxes like so
cial security. and just what is the revenue neded for ? war ?
i wish federal taxes were also simpler but of all my complaints the income tax is low on the list. the franchise tax is pretty annoying and often costs more to calculate than its generating for the state
Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I moved out of state and I have to figure out all kinds of junk about paid moving expenses and part year residency and about when I sold my car I have to do all kinds of complicated calculations to demonstrate that I did not profit from the sale. PA wants its cut of everything except for retirement income.
If you don't like PA taxes move to MD, which does tax retired pay from every source, with progressive income tax rates up to 10%, or higher, when you add in the County income tax.

Sales tax is the same but covers more items, such as all clothing, than PA.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
Quote:
Ah I don't understand whatever language that is. And no, I am not a Marxist. I support a progressive federal income tax with a 35-40% maximum marginal tax rate, just like 95% of American Democrats. I'm a proud Democrat like half of this country's population, and I am no Marxist.
It took a while but you finally showed your colors. Under the guise of complaining about PA tax laws we find out you are a fire breathing Marxist. BTW, that phrase should be very familiar to you. It is music to your ears. Here we go,

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"--Karl Marx

When you say the rich don't "need" this or that, that is what you are saying. You have made yourself the arbiter of what I need. Ok, it goes both ways. How many square footage do you live under? a 1000? You don't NEED all that space. Make it 500. How many kilowatt hours are you using a month? 750? make it 250. Use candles, matches, whatever it takes.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It took a while but you finally showed your colors. Under the guise of complaining about PA tax laws we find out you are a fire breathing Marxist. BTW, that phrase should be very familiar to you. It is music to your ears. Here we go,

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"--Karl Marx

When you say the rich don't "need" this or that, that is what you are saying. You have made yourself the arbiter of what I need. Ok, it goes both ways. How many square footage do you live under? a 1000? You don't NEED all that space. Make it 500. How many kilowatt hours are you using a month? 750? make it 250. Use candles, matches, whatever it takes.
So you want taxes to be collected from the working poor and lower middle class taking food off the table and clothes off their back so that the rich can have more luxuries?

If I take 40% of the rich's income above, say 250,000 that's still hundreds of thousands of dollars more than a poor family has, so that is hardly "to each according to his need". So nice job beating up the straw man, but bad job debating me.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you don't like PA taxes move to MD, which does tax retired pay from every source, with progressive income tax rates up to 10%, or higher, when you add in the County income tax.

Sales tax is the same but covers more items, such as all clothing, than PA.
I moved to Texas where there is no state income tax. But I had to deal with your regulations one more time as a part year resident.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:

If I take 40% of the rich's income above, say 250,000 that's still hundreds of thousands of dollars more than a poor family has, so that is hardly "to each according to his need". So nice job beating up the straw man, but bad job debating me.
When you say they don't need $250,000, only because somebody else is living on $25,000 you are saying to each according to his need. There is no straw man here. It is real.

Oh, after all this you move to Texas with no state income tax? Have you no shame sir?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
When you say they don't need $250,000, only because somebody else is living on $25,000 you are saying to each according to his need. There is no straw man here. It is real.

Oh, after all this you move to Texas with no state income tax? Have you no shame sir?
I told you in the beginning that I have no problem with PA's flat tax, only that the forms and regulations are too complicated.

On the federal level I support a graduated income tax rate.

This does NOT mean I wish to limit the rich's income to 250,000. This means I wish to tax their income above 250,000 at the highest marginal tax rate, which should be 40% or less. This means if they make 1 million over 250,000 they keep at least 600,000 of that plus whatever portion of the first 250,000 wasn't taken.

This is NOT "to each according to his need".

Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM

Fair enough, and I want YOU to live in an apartment no bigger than 500 sq. ft. You know, global warming, natural resources, etc. Gotta problem with that? Why is it always you that issues decrees how others should live? I can play that game too.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Fair enough, and I want YOU to live in an apartment no bigger than 500 sq. ft. You know, global warming, natural resources, etc. Gotta problem with that? Why is it always you that issues decrees how others should live? I can play that game too.
If he lives by himself he really only needs 250 sq. ft. That's the minimum per person in most livability codes for rentals.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Much more suffocating than New York. Have a dinky little kayak, had to register it. Registering and inspecting a vehicle is a lot more onerous and convoluted than New York. Had to pay a heavy bounty to the PA licensed shake down mechanic to get my stickers. After I purchased my puppy, I was warned by the pet store that if I didn't register my pet right away, a Pennsylvania "dog warden" would be knocking on my door. Don't even get my started on the liquor laws.
Let's stick to Pennsylvania issues please and the above ^ OP. If anyone wants to talk about general taxing they can do that in another forum. Also, no name calling please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania