U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

322 posts, read 2,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ci View Post
Nah, I don't buy it. Pennsylvania's not on an upswing. That doesn't mean it's on a downswing either though. Any which way you slice it, Pennsylvania pretty much has maintained itself right where it's been at..forever. This state is a place to live and work. It's scenic beauty is moderate, it's climate is moderate, it's livability is moderate. I would neither use the word downswing, nor upswing to describe this state..ever. There's really nothing that special about it, but in the same sense it doesn't suck completely. It's benign.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever lived in another state in your life? Lets not count college either. College is fun not matter what state your in. Please don't tell me you're one of those everything is so much greater outside of PA type of people, but never actually got out to see that it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM

12,564 posts, read 11,011,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you ever lived in another state in your life? Lets not count college either. College is fun not matter what state your in. Please don't tell me you're one of those everything is so much greater outside of PA type of people, but never actually got out to see that it isn't.

don't know where you live, but PA is growing like anything....have you driven from Allentown down to Montgomeryville on Rt. 309 lately. And how bout the Airport industrial park in allentown...my cousin's wife does nothing but corporate relocations, and she's been so busy for the past 4 years, it's crazy?

I'm sorry but I think your wrong...I grew up here and there are way more people then I really want here.

Now mid to western PA is very slow, as well as Northern PA, Potter County and all of them...they are still wilderness areas...

The poconos is even overrun..sheesh what a change...huge growth...

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 123,088 times
I am going to comment on cremebrulee... You are indeed correct about economic growth in Northwestern Pa, but one amazing thing that you will uncover is that it has huge potential. Northwestern Pennsylvania is a very important to the industrial world. Carbon as well as Powdered Metal are produced there. Powdered Metal is something you probably haven't heard of, but it is in just about everything you use. Automobiles, dishwashers, lawnmowers, blenders, washing machines, and other appliances all use these parts. Northwest Pennsylvania isn't however going to be propped up by this industry alone, tourism is going to be its saving grace. Did you know that Elk, Clearfield, Cameron and McKean Counties comprise an are marketed as the "Pennsylvania Wilds"? This region has the largest expanse of wilderness and scenic beauty in Pennsylvania. Ecotourism is what they call it, and many of us have done it. Does Yellowstone or Smokey Mountian National Park ring a bell? People flock there by the millions to see the animals and mountains. Elk County is the center of the region, and has the only free roaming herd of Elk in this part of the country. They are amazing to see, believe me! With tourism, comes money and job growth, granted the jobs aren't 6 figure ones, but jobs none the less. So don't think things are slow and dead in Northwestern Pa. The area just needs time to adjust to new ideas, which aren't usually embraced that well by the people there!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

12,564 posts, read 11,011,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn2007 View Post
I am going to comment on cremebrulee... You are indeed correct about economic growth in Northwestern Pa, but one amazing thing that you will uncover is that it has huge potential. Northwestern Pennsylvania is a very important to the industrial world. Carbon as well as Powdered Metal are produced there. Powdered Metal is something you probably haven't heard of, but it is in just about everything you use. Automobiles, dishwashers, lawnmowers, blenders, washing machines, and other appliances all use these parts. Northwest Pennsylvania isn't however going to be propped up by this industry alone, tourism is going to be its saving grace. Did you know that Elk, Clearfield, Cameron and McKean Counties comprise an are marketed as the "Pennsylvania Wilds"? This region has the largest expanse of wilderness and scenic beauty in Pennsylvania. Ecotourism is what they call it, and many of us have done it. Does Yellowstone or Smokey Mountian National Park ring a bell? People flock there by the millions to see the animals and mountains. Elk County is the center of the region, and has the only free roaming herd of Elk in this part of the country. They are amazing to see, believe me! With tourism, comes money and job growth, granted the jobs aren't 6 figure ones, but jobs none the less. So don't think things are slow and dead in Northwestern Pa. The area just needs time to adjust to new ideas, which aren't usually embraced that well by the people there!
God, it is so beautiful up there...I almost bought a farm in McKean County and was just looking at properties the other day. And your correct, I never heard of Powered Metal....and yes, I'd so like to visit Elk County, my cousins have and got great videos of the Elk, magnificant creatures. Thank you so much for elaborating...I'd forgotten how beautiful it is. I was also in Potatoe City. We'd go camping in Worlds End thur Dushore and have some friends from Troy...they love living there.

Hugs
Creme

Old 10-05-2007, 06:00 PM

13,306 posts, read 12,948,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Worst PA towns:

Reading
Philly
Scranton
Wilkes-Barre
Harrisburg
York
Lancaster
Lebanon
Pittsburgh
Williamsport
Allentown
Norristown

Best PA towns:

If anyone knows what good towns there are let me know i must be missing something like a trap door or time rip or something
Just thought I'd add some of the best towns to the worst list.......
Best Towns..........
Doylestown
Newtown
Forks
Lancaster
Lititz
Clarks Summit
Wilkes Barre
Lewisburg
Dickson City
Brodheadsville

Just to name a few..........all for different reasons.
Some might have the cobblestone streets and quaint shops.
Some might have up-town type shopping.
Others are quaint and charming.
One or two are smothered in mountain ranges, hugged by them....and yet have Arenas, stores, lakes, rivers etc.
Some have musical shows, night life, crafts and homemade foods.
Some better schools, better sports, and less crime.
Theres many reasons to love a town.......its hard to choose one. ....we have so many nice towns here in Pa.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:12 PM

491 posts, read 972,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
You should really consider moving, and I mean that postively. Why live in a place you hate, and spend your life complaining about where you live online? You could also try to find things you like to do also. I lived in Philly and hated it when I first moved there. After 3 months I found all sorts of things I loved doing there, and ended up loving it before moving. Unfortunatley, I was doing what I first suggested there when I hated it, and was looking for a job. I got an offer and left when I started to love it. Point of this long and horribly written post: Take time to look at the positives of things instead of the negatives. Maybe you will have a better look on things.
I am only living here right now because I have to save up enough money to get the heck out. As soon as I do, I am gone.

Sorry, I just haven't found much of a positive about living in Pittsburgh. The job is about it. Other than that, I haven't found much. I love other areas of PA, just not pittsburgh. By the way, I kind of liked it here when i visited and first moved. Its just that it appears my first impression was wrong.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 PM

322 posts, read 2,012 times
While as I wished you in another thread. Good luck in life. We all wish you well in your happy maybury of N.W. N.Y. It really sounds like heaven up there. Free Peach pie on every block, endless grape farms, wine flows like water, and so on.

I heard you work for 12 hours a day. Wow that must give you a lot of time to get out to all the things to do in Pittsburgh. You must have so much time that I bet you been riding the inclines, going to the museums, visiting the Mattress Factory (now not the place they make things you sleep on), been down to Falling Water, checked out all of our architecture, saw some music at the Benedum center, went to Heinz Hall, walked around Shadyside, went to the arts festivals that were here, went to PNC when the Pirates were playing, been nice to all the people you seen, maybe canoed or kyacked down one of the rivers, went hiking around some of the parks just outside of Pittsburgh, saw a play at the many many theaters here, drank some coffee and met some new people at some coffee shops like the lions storm or the beehive, had dinner in Bloomfield or Mt. Washington, People watched down on Carson St. and went into all the unique stores, Saw some independent films at some of the movie theaters, went on a historic walking tour they give, went to the science center (the body works is coming up. That was in Denver and is a must see), the Warhol, went shopping for some great food down in the strip from uniqe shops, took a walk around Chatham university on a nice Saturday day, went to the Carnegie Library (one of the best library systems in the country may I add) and filled your mind, went to Ide's books between downtown and the stip, went to the avery, had a picnic with your girlfriend up on Shenley park or the other many beautiful park, took a fishing trip up to Moraine or one of the other smaller lakes right outside or inside Pittsburgh, went bicking down the Eliza furnace trail that will soon go the whole way down to the laural highlands to washington, and there is so much more.

So if you like music, reading, learning, science, art, nature, excersing, or just enjoying the day and being lazy there are all things I asked you if you did up in that paragraph. Maybe you just work to much?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 28,915 times
My husband has a new job at Keystone Helicopter on a contract basis. He will be there full time, I will be there part time. We plan to keep our home in North Carolina and rent a very small place in the Downingtown area. Any idea where a good place to look would be? No pets, no smoking, mature adults, no children.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 AM

641 posts, read 1,544,857 times
I was gonna move from PA because I hate it so much, but I guess I'll go back to school and finish out my education here. I'll give them that, they do have good colleges here.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM

77 posts, read 531 times
THE WORST - Pittsburgh or anything on the far eastern side of the state
Best - You can find great places in Central PA (from the NY border to Maryland/WV border) and Northwestern PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania