U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM

41 posts, read 118,575 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I am wondering what it's like in York, PA? I have looked on realtor.com, etc., and see homes ranging from zilch to high. The zilch homes (cheapies) seem to look like very old yet charming if restored row houses much like Hagerstown, MD which is run-down and gross.

Any signs of revitilization in York in the areas where I've seen homes as cheap as $50K? Hard to tell by looking at the little picture they offer on home sites what the entire block/town is like.

For a while I've wanted to live in PA. I'm from the D.C. area and lived there before. I'm actually oscillating between NC & PA. (I know to some that may be a no-brainer, but...) I want to live in a brownstone type home (after fix-up, of course!) and PA has so many that are so affordable.

What is York like? Lancaster area?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 01:24 PM

1,853 posts, read 3,838,294 times
I went to college in York and graduated in May. The homes that are going for really cheap are in 'not very nice' neighborhoods. The up and coming areas in York would be east side of town (near arch street) where a minor league baseball stadium is being built, Doctor's Row in West Market Street have very nice older brownstones, and the area near the Northwest Triangle redevolpment area should be appreating in the next few years. If you have kids, or are going to have kids, I strongly oppose buying anything in the York City school district. The school taxes are VERY VERY high and the schools are very bad and hardly offer any programs. The district even asked college atheltes, myself included, to come in and teach gym because it cost cut!

York city does have a fair amount of crime, and almost none in the surrounding townships. There's not very much to do in York. There arew a few nightclubs near the square (George Street @ Market street)and a few nice restaurants in the area you are looking in. If you want to live near the college (the southern part of the city), we do get pretty roudy about 3 nights a week.

As for real estate, most of the options in the city as attached, semi-detached or brownstones so you are in luck there. A good realtor will help you find the brownstone that needs some work. The larger ones that need work, but in the nice areas, would sell for about $68,000 or so.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 41,161 times
Default York, PA

I lived in York for ten years, actually two blocks from the main entance to the fair ground.. I enjoyed York but it is like all towns it has it's good part and then it has it's bad part.. The outskirts are very nice one is a small community Dover, Pa it is right on 74..

Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 AM

41 posts, read 118,575 times
Thanks!

I can't imagine a brownstone (even a dilapidated one) for anything below $100K! I'll have to drive up there one of these weekends before it starts throwing snow down.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,837 times
Smile York City taxes are high - homes reasonable - lots of history - schools not so good

late to the thread, but I'm buying a house in York and have worked in the city for 9 years..

Above poster is right - the school district has a 50% graduation rate - up from 47% before. There are some programs, but not many. The city has been consistantly 'red lined' and many of us are trying to change that.

There are some terrific restauraunts, a couple of clubs, and some excellent shopping as well as historic districts.

If you have school-age kids, you may not want to live in the city.

If you like city life, it is a good town. School taxes are very high, but the great value on historic houses (and some contemporary houses) mitigates that. There is crime, but it's not like Camden NJ.

Talk to your realtor for information on where to live. "Fireside" is the first planned neighborhgood in the city, and is a real neighborhood. Sidewalks, nice lawns, and an older population.

[moderator cut]

to give you an idea of what mid 80's home goes for in the city, here's mine

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99636925hvfgxl

It may be a Sears House

http://synapthein.info/dashaus/media/fullertonad.jpg (broken link)

there are a lot of American Foursquares and other early 20th century homes, as well as some absolutely lovely Victorian Era houses.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-13-2006 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: no realtor contact data allowed, thank you

Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,134,850 times
I lived in York for a few years, outside of the city that is. First off, I would avoid downtown, it's full of crime and poverty with the exception of The Yorktown Hotel and it's decent restaurant there isn't much in downtown anymore.

There are some nice homes off of I-83 near East Market street that area and east is nice as is the area near Heritage Hills and the north side of York (Manchester Twp) outside of the city it's pretty safe.

Traffic is much nicer since they updated Route 30 a while ago and I heard they also fixed up some of the vacant and dumpy shopping centers adding new stores and restaurants.

I had a rough time dealing with the mentality of the area though, people are very different there. Close-minded and set in their ways. Also the type of people who frequent Old Country Buffet and Wal-Mart if you know what I mean? I also found the job market to be very poor along with the salaries, it's all relative. Yes PA is cheaper but the salaries are not so great often. York is a big factory type job environment, a lot of plants there ie Harley, United Defense and etc. Caterpillar is long gone as are the big paying jobs.

Pollution is bad in York, along with the Inky Stinky (Codorus Creek) which often reaks of rotten cabbage, this fine aroma can found in the air around the York area. I got sick in York more often then anywhere else I have lived.

The city also thought it was necessary to bring baseball back to York, so they invested tons of $ into a new stadium and team, mind you adjacent to the Inky Stinky. Were not talking the Major League not even the minors but the $$$ flowed to do it over bringing in high tech jobs.

You will find York to be stuck in the past, the local newspaper often focuses on the 1969 Race Riots and etc., get's a little old after a while.

I'm not saying York is a total right off to avoid, but if you want amenities and culture, you may find it difficult to find there.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM

203 posts, read 865,911 times
A buddy of mine had some bad experiences in York. he was sorta a trainwreck himself. Based on his experience, I personlly would not buy there.

like many town- trouble is just a lounge away.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM

1,853 posts, read 3,838,294 times
The only good thing about York is the College

Old 12-24-2006, 10:26 AM

56 posts, read 153,383 times
My husband and I moved to York from Ellicott City, MD almost 3 years ago. A HUGE mistake on our part. Avoid York city like the plague. We can't wait to get out.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 9,968 times
My husband and I live in Landisville - which is just west of Lancaster city.
Landisville is a very small little town (1 stop light) in the burbs of Lancaster city. There are a lot of really nice *burbs* on the outskurts of both YOrk & Lancaster. York is very similar to Lancaster.

I think you're better off living in a suburb where you can enjoy peace and quiet but still be only a 10 minute drive into the city.

We love Landisville....in a nice developement and less than 10 minute drive to Lancaster, 30 minute drive to York, and 60 minute (or so) ride to PHilly.
We've got it all ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania