Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

114 posts, read 713,474 times

Advertisements

Mount Carmel is a better bet. Move there. (really)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,207 times
Trevorton is a horrible place to live! I don't understand why so many people love it here, because I think that it is just another skumbag, dirty town. Maybe it's nice for those out-of-towners coming by on the weekends to ride the coal mountain, or for those who were raised here and know no better. The only reason we moved here was because of how cheap it is, but soon realized why!!! Dirty!! Noisy!! I can't even spend a pleasant Saturday afternoon with my windows open because people think it is so "cool" to ride their "suped up" cars up and down the street. No respect!!!! If you are thinking of moving here from anywhere other than Shamokin or Sunbury, I advise you to RETHINK YOUR DECISION!!! This is NOT a lovely country town!! This is a hole in between some mountains, that's all!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM

42 posts, read 177,484 times
Ok, hater first off I resent greatly the way you describe the town that my family lived in and helped to found since the turn of the last century. I am talking aunts, uncles, cousins, etc composed most of the population. I lived there from 1964 until I moved away in 1980. I moved because there were no jobs in the area that payed a decent wage ( a hint as to why things are really so cheap there) and I was going to college as well as the aforementioned family composing so much of the town (even though I was adopted into the family). As a matter of fact the street I grew up on (Mountain Street) has been renamed (a portion of it) to my family surname of Schwartz Rd. My parents and grandparents are buried in St. Patrick's cemetery on Coal Street. Coal street was also composed of much of my family. My SIL taught at the middle school (english) for grades 6 thru 8. So yes, I take GREAT OFFENSE of your description of my home town. Talk about a lack of respect!!

I would like to know 2 things though; how long ago did you move to Trevorton and if you hate it so much why are you still there?

When I grew up there what you described about the noise wasn't an issue, but we also were raised to be respectful too. It's not the town it's the people and their lack of respect for anyone. That, my dear hater is everywhere you go. I am very curious as to why you moved to a coal town to begin with. Of course it's going to be a tad dirtier than some small towns would be. But I am telling you having had lived there and now living in Carlisle PA (30 minutes south of Harrisburg) what you describe is EVERYWHERE.

It's obvious to me that who ever in your family decided to move Trevorton certainly didn't do a lot of research into the area. They saw it was cheap to live there and stopped at that. That dear hater is a foolish way of doing things so now you blame the town instead of the person(s) who should be held accountable for the choice. Shame on you!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Default princess of trevorton

Well MS. trevorton royalty i must appoligize for offending you with my comments but as you've stated you havent lived here for quite awhile and the only swartz rd in town that i can find has an old dryer and refrigerator rotting away right on the corner of the road. it's not the coal mountains that make the town dirty it would be the people leaving trash and broken down cars lying all over. On your previous statement, how exactly can you do research on a town when there are people like yourself talking about how great it is but have'nt lived here since there were horse and buggies riding up and down the streets? these issues don't happen evey where you go as you said, i come from an actual city and the people are cleaner and more respectful. i may be a hater and thats ok but atleast i'm not a liar!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Actually MS (or Mr) hater get the spelling of the name correct; it's SCHWARTZ not Swartz. I am not a liar and as far as research goes, ever hear of the library? And yes it is the coal mountains that cause the problem. I may not live in Trevorton anymore but I visit regularly. I have an aunt that still lives on Mountain street that I see once a month so I am there a good bit. And yes these issues do happen everywhere. And a new question I would like ask (maybe you'll actually answer this one: what city do you actually come from? BTW how come you didn't answer my previous two?

When did you move to Trevorton and
If you hate it so much why are you still there?

Waiting…...

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Dear MS Trevorton, I have actually heard of that before, but what exactly is a library? I must have coal mountain dust in my brain clogging the "smart parts", pardon my ignorance. I am very happy for you that you have home town pride, truly, but why is it so hard for to accept my difference of opinion?? I came here to give my advice, not to be harrangued by trevorton patrons. You are right, there are issues no matter where you go that you may or may not like, however we are not talking about everywhere right now, we are talking about Trevorton. As for your questions you would so adamantly like me to answer, I choose to answer only one given it's relevance. I have not yet left Trevorton because I am a "hater" of many places in this area, and just haven't found anything better. I like to think of it as being stuck between a hard place, and a giant coal mountain. If you understand what I am saying about the people in this town being the problem and not the town, as you have previously stated, then what is it you are still trying to prove? Would you like me to retract my previous "hate"ments about Trevorton, because I am afraid I cannot do that. Is it not the people that make up a town, afterall?
It may not be at any fault of your family members that Trevorton has become what it has become, so rest easy, Ms. Trevorton, and continue to have that pride. I'm sure it was once a beautiful place to live, with it's anthracite heritage and unique location.
I just ask that you stop pushing it on to me. This is not where I come from, and I don't have to like it here, no matter what interesting facts or family trees you express.

I'm sure that is still not good enough for you, so I expect to be hearing from you soon.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM

To begin with I am not a MS but a Mrs and as my handle "Deb from Trevorton" indicates my name is Deb not Trevorton, and something else, my family worked VERY hard for a living so please don't insult me by calling me royalty thank you.

Did you ever stop to think that the reason I defended Trevorton in my reply is to give others who may read this board a more balanced look at the town and that it wasn't necessarily directed toward you personally? You made it personal by calling me a liar and being so damn condescending in your first reply to me.

It sounds like you like the city better, and I can understand that especially if you are 20 something. Trevorton doesn't offer a lot of entertainment options. I couldn't wait to leave when I was 18. Being 50 now I can see the charm of the town. The coal mines do however, give Trevorton and in particular, Shamokin a dusty type of feel. No place is perfect though, not any more. Also, realize that my childhood memories are tied to the town. I had a good childhood and this town represents that for me. And because of those memories I will come to the towns defense. Where ever you hail from originally probably holds a soft spot in your heart too.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM

To begin with I am not a MS but a Mrs and as my handle "Deb from Trevorton" indicates my name is Deb not Trevorton, and something else, my family worked VERY hard for a living so please don't insult me by calling me royalty thank you.

Did you ever stop to think that the reason I defended Trevorton in my reply is to give others who may read this board a more balanced look at the town and that it wasn't necessarily directed toward you personally? You made it personal by calling me a liar and being so damn condescending in your first reply to me.

It sounds like you like the city better, and I can understand that especially if you are 20 something. Trevorton doesn't offer a lot of entertainment options. I couldn't wait to leave when I was 18. Being 50 now I can see the charm of the town. The coal mines do however, give Trevorton and in particular, Shamokin a dusty type of feel. No place is perfect though, not any more. Also, realize that my childhood memories are tied to the town. I had a good childhood and this town represents that for me. And because of those memories I will come to the towns defense. Where ever you hail from originally probably holds a soft spot in your heart too.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

Mrs. Deb,
It doesn't seem like you want people to see a more "balanced" look at the town, it seems more like you just want them to see YOUR look at the town. You may visit here frequently, but you don't live here anymore, therefore, I don't think that is a very balanced view at all.
I am a Mrs. as well, and I have a family, as I'm sure you do, and I do not need anything to "do". In fact, I do not like the city, I prefer the country. I prefer the peace and quiet that a lower population provides. I just personally feel that this is not the "country" I originally thought it would be or that other posters have proclaimed. The dust I can deal with, I grew up in farm country, and this is just another kind of dust. It's the fourwheelers riding around on the streets... the teenagers reving up their "hot rods" day and night... the trash that so conveniently seems to collect in my yard on a windy day... these are the reasons I do not like Trevorton. These are the reasons I called it dirty and noisy. These reasons may be at the fault of the people that live here, or at least the people that live in my section of town, but nonetheless, it has forever in my mind given Trevorton a bad name. I'm not criticizing you personally for defending your town, as I said, I think that home town pride is great, and I am happy for you to have somewhere you can be proud of. All I'm saying is that it's not all charming all over all the time here, and people that are thinking of moving here should know that.

I am also saying that we will agree to disagree. We have both said what we liked and didn't like about the town and that's what the whole point of this forum was, so we have both succeeded in that sense. Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts, and I'm sorry that I have offended you so personally. I hope your family living in Trevorton doesn't experience the same things that I do, and that it continues to be a great place for them to live in.

Fairwell Mrs. Deb
Sincerely
Hater

Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM

Hater,
Very good, we can agree to disagree. I hope you find your perfect spot. Have you considered areas like Dorensife, Herdon and that area? That is truly country in that area. I wish you the best in your search for your perfect patch. God bless you and yours.

DEB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania