Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,011 times

Advertisements

I would lop the Lehigh Valley and Berks with the Philadelphia area in map 2. It feels like it's more southeast then Northeast. plus When you are heading north from Philadelphia, it doesn't really get rural until you pass Blue Mountain. don't get me wrong there are rural parts of Montgomery and Bucks between LV and Philadelphia but in general, the mountains and rural farms and small towns being the biggest town for miles isn't there until you pass blue mountain. The LV still imo is too urban to be lopped into the Northeast mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorjacks View Post
I would lop the Lehigh Valley and Berks with the Philadelphia area in map 2. It feels like it's more southeast then Northeast. plus When you are heading north from Philadelphia, it doesn't really get rural until you pass Blue Mountain. don't get me wrong there are rural parts of Montgomery and Bucks between LV and Philadelphia but in general, the mountains and rural farms and small towns being the biggest town for miles isn't there until you pass blue mountain. The LV still imo is too urban to be lopped into the Northeast mountains.
I agree that if you are driving on Rt. 309, it may well seem that Lehigh County is a continuation of the Philly suburban area, but just go five miles to the West and you'll be in farmland. Anyway, I was talking more abstractly about the non-city feel of Lehigh and Berks county. I spent a few hours yesterday at the Kutztown Folk Festival (Berks county) and had several conversations with strangers, something that happens pretty often in my town in Lehigh county, but not so much when we were living in Chester or Delaware county. I guess I just don't want to be lumped in with the city folk!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Fair point. I'd make some minor alterations to the first map (e.g., toss Berks in with the greater Philly cluster), but it's a decent general approximation.
Yeah, Berks should go with Greater Philly. Otherwise, I think the first map is spot on, although I'm not qualified to comment on whether the NW corner, the "Great Lakes Region," should be separate from the rest of the rural snowbelt.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree that if you are driving on Rt. 309, it may well seem that Lehigh County is a continuation of the Philly suburban area, but just go five miles to the West and you'll be in farmland. Anyway, I was talking more abstractly about the non-city feel of Lehigh and Berks county. I spent a few hours yesterday at the Kutztown Folk Festival (Berks county) and had several conversations with strangers, something that happens pretty often in my town in Lehigh county, but not so much when we were living in Chester or Delaware county. I guess I just don't want to be lumped in with the city folk!
yes conversations with strangers never happen in philadelphia area

Old 07-07-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
And on that note, I'll just go back to my first comment on what a lovely state we have!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Yes -- I honestly don't know where this "rude" perception of Philadelphians comes from. My experience has been that natives are some of the most down-to-earth and affable people you'll ever meet.

At any rate, I think it's also important to recognize that, in this day and age with mobility being so common -- people are generally people. Many current Philadelphians (or residents of the metro area), in fact, grew up in small towns all over the state and, vice versa, many Philadelphians have left the city behind for a piece of small town life. In sum, we such are a fluid society that people cannot be defined based on where they live/came from.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes -- I honestly don't know where this "rude" perception of Philadelphians comes from. My experience has been that natives are some of the most down-to-earth and affable people you'll ever meet.

At any rate, I think it's also important to recognize that, in this day and age with mobility being so common -- people are generally people. Many current Philadelphians (or residents of the metro area), in fact, grew up in small towns all over the state and, vice versa, many Philadelphians have left the city behind for a piece of small town life. In sum, we such are a fluid society that people cannot be defined based on where they live/came from.
You'll notice that I said nothing about Philadelphia people being unfriendly. I mentioned that people in my area seemed to be more friendly than when we lived in Delaware and Chester counties. I generally agree that if you are nice to people (wherever you are) they will treat you in kind.

Realtors, See This.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You'll notice that I said nothing about Philadelphia people being unfriendly. I mentioned that people in my area seemed to be more friendly than when we lived in Delaware and Chester counties. I generally agree that if you are nice to people (wherever you are) they will treat you in kind.
Understood, and I didn't mean to single you out by any means. Just addressing what I've perceived as a common sentiment on city-data (and hear in real life).

Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,968 times
There are definite sociological, economic and geographical differences between western and eastern PA, and history has played a great part. Crossing the Appalachians was not as easy in 1776 as it is today. Because of this, there was almost a 14th colony - Westsylvania, composed of Pittsburgh and the corner, WV and VA - look it up. Pittsburgh was West in the real sense, just like Michigan called itself West in 1838. (Champions of the West!)
I lived in both sides - Johnstown and Reading - people in the west are much more friendly, less harsh, maybe less sophisticated, as the east takes it's cue from Philly and the NY conurbation. People in PA have a specific accent that is recognized as either east or west. People change domiciles much less frequently in wPA than eastern PA. There are many other things that make a clear difference between east and west, but those are the main things I have noticed, and these are MY opinions, only.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,865 times
I grew up in Eastern PA and loved it (Chester and Lancaster County areas), but I must say the western part of the state has some fantastic country. PA is a huge state and has a lot to offer, you can not compare the west to the east (it is apples to oranges).

Conculsion: PA is a beautiful state and I could live in the east or west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania