Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2006, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,988 times

Advertisements

Although this may not be the appropriate forum for this, I thought I might increase my exposure a little and see what I came up with.

My wife and I are relocating to Scranton as soon as possible. The only thing that is slowing us down is the difficulty of finding jobs from 1600 miles away. We are currently in Texas and we are interested in escaping(thats right, escaping). I have a solid construction background, and my wife has good office skills. So, if there are any hiring managers or small business owners out there looking for a good, hardworking carpetbagger for their company drop us a line. The best way to contact us is via email.
my address is rageofangels21@msn.com
My wife's is karolyn_j@gmail.com

Hope to hear from someone real soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,356,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofTx View Post
Although this may not be the appropriate forum for this, I thought I might increase my exposure a little and see what I came up with.

My wife and I are relocating to Scranton as soon as possible. The only thing that is slowing us down is the difficulty of finding jobs from 1600 miles away. We are currently in Texas and we are interested in escaping(thats right, escaping). I have a solid construction background, and my wife has good office skills. So, if there are any hiring managers or small business owners out there looking for a good, hardworking carpetbagger for their company drop us a line. The best way to contact us is via email.
my address is rageofangels21@msn.com
My wife's is karolyn_j@gmail.com

Hope to hear from someone real soon.
As a Scranton-area resident, I'd be more than happy to give you a few employers to check out based upon the information you've provided. First of all, I immediately thought of Mericle, a major local commercial construction firm, when you mentioned your construction background. Check out their website (I can't post it on this forum, so just google "Mericle"), and consider submitting your resume on there. Mericle is based out of the East Mountain Corporate Center in Wilkes-Barre, about a 25-minute drive from Scranton, depending on traffic. As far as others are concerned, I'm not very knowledgeable. You may want to try Perih Construction or Sordoni Construction as well; other than that you're probably best off just name-dropping with lone contractors and engineers in hopes that someone will want to buddy up with you.

Your wife has MUCH broader opportunities. Just off the top of my head, within a thirty-minute drive of Scranton are major installations for companies such as MetLife, Prudential Financial, CIGNA HealthCare, Bank of America, Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, Sallie Mae, Lord & Taylor, Parente-Randolph Accountants, PNC Bank, M&T Bank, as well as a variety of smaller office settings in private medical, legal, and financial practices, as well as many local colleges, universities, and medical centers.

Hope this helps just a bit, and welcome to Scranton, home of the hit NBC sitcom "The Office!"

Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 PM

41 posts, read 244,712 times
I'm curious about "escaping Texas" too. I've read a lot of good things about Austin and Texas in general. Just wondering what the negatives are aside from being home to W.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Why I am escaping

Ya'll are right about Austin. It's a pretty decent place to live, although by most standards in Texas it is exorbitantly expensive. I have lived in Austin, and if I had to stay here, thats where I would go. But I dont want to stay here. My reasons are many, but the ones I think apply to everyone interested in moving here are these: For starters, it is unbearably hot here. 100+ for nearly 3 months, and low to mid 90s for 2 months before and a month after. Then there is the humidity. Baseline is 70% or so, pushing mid 90 when it is NOT raining. So, suffice to say, the weather is miserable. I have had to run my air conditioner on Christmas Day for petes sake. Then, to top things off, are the illegals. There presence, along with the fact that due to their living conditions they can afford to work for less than half of what normal taxpaying citizens can afford to work for, means that workers in Texas have absolutely no rights whatsoever. They dont even have to pay if they dont want to. Because the Texas dpt of labor recieves almost no funding, they do not investigate claims of workers being defrauded. It isnt really the illegals fault, they just want a better life. Its the companies. They pumped millions of dollars getting Right to Work legislation passed, which means that with absolutely no justification, a company can fire you. Whats worse is that everyone in this state thinks thats right. I have heard that in the North workers still have some rights. I mean, I dont want anything crazy like the UAW had in Detroit, just some basic protections. To put the topper on it all, whites are put at the bottom of social services lists, because in Texas it is still legal to group people by race concerning eligibility for state assistance. They circumvent the law by making it a "administrative expedience" somesuch or another. And it was white politicians who made it that way!Plus, just the general ignorance of the people here makes anyone who's parents arent cousins infuriated at every turn

If you have made it this far, then thanks for reading my rant. And if you ever want to experience the South, then go to Fort Sumter for the weekend, but for your own good, dont cross the Red River

Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,356,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofTx View Post
Ya'll are right about Austin. It's a pretty decent place to live, although by most standards in Texas it is exorbitantly expensive. I have lived in Austin, and if I had to stay here, thats where I would go. But I dont want to stay here. My reasons are many, but the ones I think apply to everyone interested in moving here are these: For starters, it is unbearably hot here. 100+ for nearly 3 months, and low to mid 90s for 2 months before and a month after. Then there is the humidity. Baseline is 70% or so, pushing mid 90 when it is NOT raining. So, suffice to say, the weather is miserable. I have had to run my air conditioner on Christmas Day for petes sake. Then, to top things off, are the illegals. There presence, along with the fact that due to their living conditions they can afford to work for less than half of what normal taxpaying citizens can afford to work for, means that workers in Texas have absolutely no rights whatsoever. They dont even have to pay if they dont want to. Because the Texas dpt of labor recieves almost no funding, they do not investigate claims of workers being defrauded. It isnt really the illegals fault, they just want a better life. Its the companies. They pumped millions of dollars getting Right to Work legislation passed, which means that with absolutely no justification, a company can fire you. Whats worse is that everyone in this state thinks thats right. I have heard that in the North workers still have some rights. I mean, I dont want anything crazy like the UAW had in Detroit, just some basic protections. To put the topper on it all, whites are put at the bottom of social services lists, because in Texas it is still legal to group people by race concerning eligibility for state assistance. They circumvent the law by making it a "administrative expedience" somesuch or another. And it was white politicians who made it that way!Plus, just the general ignorance of the people here makes anyone who's parents arent cousins infuriated at every turn

If you have made it this far, then thanks for reading my rant. And if you ever want to experience the South, then go to Fort Sumter for the weekend, but for your own good, dont cross the Red River
Well, I suppose you did your homework when you considered Scranton for relocation, as problems with illegal immigrants are practically unheard of here! About 50 minutes south of Scranton, the city of Hazleton was recently in the media spotlight for its sudden aggressive, anti-illegal immigrant crackdown, but the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area remains relatively untainted by the issues that you mentioned in Texas.

Conversely, while you may not be sweating your undies off of up here for month after month, you better enjoy bleak winters! While we don't frequently receive crippling snowfalls or long stretches of intolerably cold weather, the forboding gray winter skies around here can make anyone depressed by February! I personally enjoy shoveling snow, but the incessant cloud-cover that lingers over Scranton during the winter really affects my mood as well after a while!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:07 PM

I'll take any winter over none. And if it snows just one good snow every winter, it will be worth the while. I didnt even see snow until I was 19, and that was when I went to Missourri for basic training. Never have really tried to work in the snow, but it has got to be better than getting heat exhaustion every other week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania