Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,735,384 times

Advertisements

Are they're any still functioning (but not fake and/or gentrifying) small, throw-back to the old days, "Mayberry" towns existing in Pa. (or bordering states)? Think Richard Russo novel towns: Main St, diner, factories, maybe a train depot, old-timey gas stations, seen-better-times-but-not-down-for-the-count, etc...

I'm just curious. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,243,600 times
I sincerely wish that I could be more positive, but whenever I hear the phrase "Mayberry town", I get a mental picture of someone who is simply expecting too much, or "dancing around" prejudices and other polarizing issues.

"Mayberry", or something like it never existed, and never will. The links below offer some painful examples of what's often concealed or overlooked when the term "Mayberry town" is used.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...rry-towns.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ike-towns.html

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-29-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
Wellsboro (except for the old-timey gas station, can't think of one there). I wouldn't go so far as to call it gentrifying but it does have some tourist orientation. The train depot in the borough isn't functioning, the tourist train stops a couple of miles out of town.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
Every town I'm familiar with in Eastern PA that has a train station is a fairly urban town. I can think of some very small towns, including my own that are nice but Mayberry to me reminds me of kind of backward and sleepy. I'd rather have a small vital, active town. I'm guessing that a Mayberry type town isn't going to have a very good website either!

Here's a local town that I go to and get bird food at the feed store. http://www.richlandtownborough.org/wordpress/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,713,370 times
If a functioning train station is a need maybe Elizabethtown, Mount Joy, (debatably) Middletown. These towns are to me more exurban/suburban, but from each at certain points you can at least see ag fields from the borough limits.

Huntingdon has 1 train per day. It's pretty far out from anywhere to be gentrified. With a small college, 2 prisons, and Raystown Lake it's more economically stable than some towns.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,807,314 times
Coudersport

Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,735,384 times
I'm just asking about about towns that are throw-back or stuck-in-time aesthetically for reasons I'm not going to state. I'm not interested in moving to any of these places, so for those of you who want to toss around the assumptions and negatives, then you'll just have to be bothered by the term I used to ask this question.

Thank you to those who just simply gave an answer!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,807,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I'm just asking about about towns that are throw-back or stuck-in-time aesthetically for reasons I'm not going to state. I'm not interested in moving to any of these places, so for those of you who want to toss around the assumptions and negatives, then you'll just have to be bothered by the term I used to ask this question.

Thank you to those who just simply gave an answer!
You should check out Renovo. Seems to fit your criteria.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM

30,227 posts, read 15,988,536 times
Emporium?

don't know about the train depot but it's pretty and isolated.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,243,600 times
Other than a daily train from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and the semi-high-speed (maximum 110 MPH) service between Philadelphia, Lancaster and Harrisburg, there s no conventional rail passenger service left in Pennsylvania, only Philadelphia's commuter trains and a connection to the Boston-New York-Washington corridor. Ere, come to think of it, also has a daily train, but only if you're going to Cleveland, Buffalo, or beyond -- no service within Pennsylvania,

Renovo and Emporium (and Lock Haven, Williamsport and Sunbury, for that matter), lost their passenger service when Amtrak was started, now over forty years ago. The market simply dried up as more people could afford automobiles, and most of the few who couldn't drive due to age or infirmity had bus service to fall back upon.

A sentimental wallow in the past can turn out to be pretty expensive -- especially for the taxpayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania