U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 62,090 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like some suggestions on some nice areas to live in Pennsylvania. I have no specific area I would like to be in but I would like the area to meet the following criteria:

1. Good schools
2. Affordable housing
3. Decent IT job sector with a commute of about 1 hour
4. Fairly close to NYC (About 3 hours or less)

I am not really interested in commuting to NYC for work, but if the need arises then I am willing to do it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,429,646 times
A three-hour or less drive to NYC would narrow your search to the Eastern 1/3 of the state, and essentially from I-81 eastward. Out of this you have Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (with no booming IT sector to speak of but with very affordable housing), Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (with more IT opportunities but a rapidly rising cost-of-living), Harrisburg (which has some IT opportunities but is the furthest from NYC), and Greater Philadelphia (which has plenty of IT opportunities but very little affordable housing).

You might be out of luck, I'm sorry to say. Harrisburg might be the one area to fit your bill, but even then I believe it's just over three hours to NYC. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 62,090 times
Hi SWB,

Thanks for your reply. The 3 hours or less rule really pertains to visiting family and friends. I know that NYC is extremely expensive and NJ is not far behind. I figured Pennsylvania was the only state in the area that offered some measure of affordability.

If you have any other suggestions of towns that fit the first 3 criteria (1. Good schools, 2. Affordable housing, 3. Decent IT job sector with a commute of about 1 hour) then that is definitely more important than being 3 hours or less from NYC.

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:45 PM

755 posts, read 2,165,370 times
Milford/Shohola/Dingman Twsp/Matamoras/Westfall fit 2 of the 3 criteria that you listed. Milford/Shohola belong to the Delaware Valley School District which is very good and both have affordable homes. I'm not sure if Matamoras & Westfall belong to that school district. They very well might. BUT you are looking at, I think, about a 2 hr commute to NYC. There may be good IT jobs in NJ between here & NYC...that's something else to think about. From what others have been saying, there is a train you can catch in Port Jervis to take to NYC.

I'm sure some of our other's with more NE PA experience will jump in with their info.... :-)

Old 12-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxleyb View Post
Hi SWB,

Thanks for your reply. The 3 hours or less rule really pertains to visiting family and friends. I know that NYC is extremely expensive and NJ is not far behind. I figured Pennsylvania was the only state in the area that offered some measure of affordability.

If you have any other suggestions of towns that fit the first 3 criteria (1. Good schools, 2. Affordable housing, 3. Decent IT job sector with a commute of about 1 hour) then that is definitely more important than being 3 hours or less from NYC.

Thanks.
You're quite welcome. If the 3-hour rule isn't absolutely essential, then you might want to consider the Greater Harrisburg area then, which is our state capital. The IT sector isn't "booming," but there seems to be more opportunity there for that line of work due to the city being the center of state government than there are for other cities in PA with a population of 50,000 or so. My guess would be that it is just over three-and-a-half hours to NYC (although I'm sure others can correct me if I'm mistaken). The suburbs of Harrisburg offer great schools and reasonable housing prices, and you can definitely have both of those within a 20-minute commute of the city proper, where schools and crime become a bit more "iffy." Member danwxman lives in Harrisburg, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to clear up any holes I have with my description of Harrisburg (I live about two hours north).

The Lehigh Valley fits most of your criteria, but as I said housing prices are soaring. I just read somewhere that the median home price in Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton is now about $275,000, a HUGE increase since the 1990s, while salaries and wages haven't risen by nearly as much. IT work here and within an hour's drive into Central NJ is much more plentiful though.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,285,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
You're quite welcome. If the 3-hour rule isn't absolutely essential, then you might want to consider the Greater Harrisburg area then, which is our state capital. The IT sector isn't "booming," but there seems to be more opportunity there for that line of work due to the city being the center of state government than there are for other cities in PA with a population of 50,000 or so. My guess would be that it is just over three-and-a-half hours to NYC (although I'm sure others can correct me if I'm mistaken). The suburbs of Harrisburg offer great schools and reasonable housing prices, and you can definitely have both of those within a 20-minute commute of the city proper, where schools and crime become a bit more "iffy." Member danwxman lives in Harrisburg, and I'm sure he'll be along shortly to clear up any holes I have with my description of Harrisburg (I live about two hours north).

The Lehigh Valley fits most of your criteria, but as I said housing prices are soaring. I just read somewhere that the median home price in Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton is now about $275,000, a HUGE increase since the 1990s, while salaries and wages haven't risen by nearly as much. IT work here and within an hour's drive into Central NJ is much more plentiful though.
I think you covered it well. According to the Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania, at any one time there is a demand for about 300 high tech jobs in the Harrisburg area.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:09 PM

75 posts, read 324,723 times
Have you checked around Bucks County? Good schools in most areas, close to philadelphia and NYC.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braylee View Post
Have you checked around Bucks County? Good schools in most areas, close to philadelphia and NYC.
I agree that Bucks County is very nice as well, but I always thought housing prices there were quite expensive.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:31 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,996,060 times
We lived in Royersford - which is in Montgomery county - and thought it was a great area! There are many excellent schools.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM

222 posts, read 1,321,126 times
regarding Harrisburg ... you just go up i-81 and then i-78 you can reach the Outerbridge in Staten Island in abount 2 and a half hours without any tie ups. manhatten and long island are about 3+ hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania