Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 AM

21 posts, read 56,587 times

Advertisements

I know very little about Wolf. He seems like a reasonable enough guy. But then you see his adds hammering Corbett for "slashing education funding". Well, that's an out and out lie. Corbett didn't slash the state's funding of education. It has gone up every year he has been in office if you exclude the horribly mismanaged federal "stimulus" money that school districts largely wasted and mis-spent. Holding Corbett responsible for the fact that federal funding was cut is ridiculous. Teachers and others in the government school industry must obviously think the state should have stepped in and increased funding. But at whose expense? Taxpayers, of course. The money could only have come from PA residents who pay taxes in one form or another. I say "good job" to Corbett for not rushing in to increase education funding to make up for the horribly misguided federal "stimulus" money.

I have little reason to think that Wolf will be good for the state, but I'm still glad that he was chosen by Democrats, as I think he is better than McCord, McGinty or especially Schwartz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:34 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I'm just shocked at the number of people who genuinely think a wealthy businessman will unfairly favor the interests of working people over big business.

I mean, I expect some shift in tone on economic issues from Corbett (who hasn't been incredibly right wing as Republicans go), but I'm not expecting that Wolf will be an ally of mine in any significant manner.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm just shocked at the number of people who genuinely think a wealthy businessman will unfairly favor the interests of working people over big business.

I mean, I expect some shift in tone on economic issues from Corbett (who hasn't been incredibly right wing as Republicans go), but I'm not expecting that Wolf will be an ally of mine in any significant manner.
If Tom Wolf is shrewd, he'll cut corporate taxes if he's elected. That way he can say, "See? Democrats can be business-friendly too!"

Each political party has a way that they can win majority approval for the next 20 to 30 years. It depends on which happens first: Democrats promoting candidates who have an iota of economic sense, or Republicans promoting candidates who don't use the Bible as a weapon.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

21 posts, read 56,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Each political party has a way that they can win majority approval for the next 20 to 30 years. It depends on which happens first: Democrats promoting candidates who have an iota of economic sense, or Republicans promoting candidates who don't use the Bible as a weapon.
Wow. Excellent comment. And one sure to be ignored by the true believers in both parties.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:41 AM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
One thing that's going to happen when Wolf becomes governor - the left handed shoulder-pat will become part of the official Pennsylvania handshake.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Economic issues are the Democrats' strongest suit, free phones, free medical, free lunches at school, free birth control. People vote for the free stuff- especially if they or someone they know is receiving, and it makes economic sense for the Democrats to push it forward.

Social issues are the Republican Party's strongest suit. Not all of the voters understand laffer curves and fiscal stimuli. But they do understand abortion and guns and marriage, its something to motivate the people and get them jazzed up to go to the polls.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
I just hope he does not try to undo the transportation funding package, it's high time PA highways evolve into the 1990's!!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
The education lobby is pretty high on wolf's list of donors...not to be confused with actual education, clearly the teachers and others think wolf if the best bet for their compensation
Who are the top donors to Tom Corbett, Tom Wolf campaigns?: An AP analysis | PennLive.com

Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I just hope he does not try to undo the transportation funding package, it's high time PA highways evolve into the 1990's!!
Even the 1970's would be an improvement...

Old 09-14-2014, 10:11 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
The education lobby is pretty high on wolf's list of donors...not to be confused with actual education, clearly the teachers and others think wolf if the best bet for their compensation
Who are the top donors to Tom Corbett, Tom Wolf campaigns?: An AP analysis | PennLive.com
Why is the energy sector paying Wolfe anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania