Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
My point was that Philadelphia is put on a 10 most dangerous PA City list using 2012 numbers published in 2014 when the Philadelphia of last year has very similar crimes rates than Pittsburgh and the Philadelphia of this year has BETTER crime rates than Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh doesn't make the list.

And then we wonder why PA natives outside of the Philadelphia area consistently bash Philly for crime while praising Pittsburgh for safety. Just a little strange, don't ya think?
no, the reason was pointed out (FBI stats). it's fair to point out that it's 2012 stats but I don't think there are ulterior motives nor do I think starting a pissing war with pittsburgh is going to solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,610,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no, the reason was pointed out (FBI stats). it's fair to point out that it's 2012 stats but I don't think there are ulterior motives nor do I think starting a pissing war with pittsburgh is going to solve anything.
I did not start a pissing match with Pittsburgh at all. Again, go back and read the posts. I stated that Philadelphia, as of 2014 (when the article is being posted) is on track to have a lower crime rate than Pittsburgh.... PS - that turned out to be correct. Yet Philadelphia is listed as being a most dangerous PA city and Pittsburgh is not. I believe it was Pittsburgher forumers who started a pissing match with me please and thank you.

I was simply pointing out that the numbers were old.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:36 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times
Quote:
Why did they use 2012 numbers and not 2013?

Philly's crime rates continue to drop, and actually has a lower crime and murder rate than Pittsburgh this year.

Oh but Philly is so bad right?!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,610,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Where did I say anything bad or negative or unture towards Pittsburgh? I said that Philadelphia has a lower crime rate so far this year than Pittsburgh: true. I said "Oh but Philly is bad": referencing how most of the state of PA looks at Philadelphia negatively for crime, yet Pittsburgh is almost identical to Philly in crime rates (either slightly lower or slightly higher depending on the year).

Is it really that difficult for you to understand this? Or do you still think I'm bashing Pittsburgh?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,083 times
As usual, thread about Pennsylvania's other cities devolves into basic Philly VS. Pittsburgh argument.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,792,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Selinsgrove?
That's what I'm talking about with these stats, that's about the closest place to me and I didn't realize it was a hotbed of criminal activity. The population of the town is listed just over 5K and I'm not sure how many are full time, the population of Susquehanna University is listed at just over 2K. It's probably a bunch of petty crime that drove them into this list.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:15 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,664,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
As usual, thread about Pennsylvania's other cities devolves into basic Philly VS. Pittsburgh argument.
Yes, I wonder what the common denominator is.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,885,061 times
Quote:
I did not start a pissing match with Pittsburgh at all. Again, go back and read the posts. I stated that Philadelphia, as of 2014 (when the article is being posted) is on track to have a lower crime rate than Pittsburgh.... PS - that turned out to be correct. Yet Philadelphia is listed as being a most dangerous PA city and Pittsburgh is not. I believe it was Pittsburgher forumers who started a pissing match with me please and thank you.

I was simply pointing out that the numbers were old.
Homicide rate is only a sliver of a crime rate summers. it's by far the least likely violent crime to happen to you.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,832,903 times
Quote:
Hold up. Speagles numbers are in fact wrong for Pittsburgh.

I knew I wasn't crazy. I knew I saw this somewhere.

From CBS Pittsburgh
Article date Aug 4th, 2014

Public Safety Director Links Uptick In Homicides To Drug Trade « CBS Pittsburgh

If there are 41 homicides in Pittsburgh as of August 4th, how are there now only 39 as of October 7th? Were three people revived and zero homicides occurred for two months? I think that map has not been updated since July.

Pittsburgh (as of August 4): 41 homicides - 305,841 pop. - 13.4 per 100K
Philadelphia
(as of October 7th): 199 homicides - 1,553,165 pop. - 12.8 per 100K

So no, lol, I was not wrong at all. I was in fact 50% correct. I was wrong on the 2013 numbers but absolutely correct on the 2014 numbers since Pittsburgh in August has a higher murder rate than Philadelphia as of October 7th.

I think apologies are in order
No apologies are in order and you still wrong. As Speagles posted, homicide rates are a mere sliver of crime rates for a city and you have not provided a comparison of 2014 crime rates between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but instead a news article citation of homicide rates with different dates between the two cities. I am not sure why you would spend so much time trying to prove yourself only marginally wrong rather than just admitting you were wrong and moving on with your life. Also, to answer your question about the changing homicide counts, there are areas of Pittsburgh that are not actually parts of the city, but sometimes the news media reports them in the murder counts or violent crime rates. For example, Mount Oliver is not part of the city of Pittsburgh, but it is surrounded by the city and usually adds to the murder rate and violent crime rate if it is counted. The final numbers are usually tallied correctly by the FBI, but that takes time and comparing current homicide numbers is not an exact science.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,918,392 times
Oh shocking... another thread that's turned into Philly vs. Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania