U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,231,285 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else seen incorrect signs like this? It US Route 202, not PA Route 202.
Attached Thumbnails
Blatantly wrong road signs.  Come on, PennDot.-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM

13,310 posts, read 18,318,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Has anyone else seen incorrect signs like this? It US Route 202, not PA Route 202.
That's a common mistake in many states, actually. The perimeter highway around Athens, GA carries a segment of U.S. 78, but was signed as GA 78 for several months. I also remember Business I-75 in Adel, GA being signed as "regular" I-75 with a red and blue shield about six years ago, and this was on a brand-new big green highway guide sign to boot. And just a week or two ago, there was a news story out of Massachusetts where a state route was signed using Alabama route shields.

And those are just three examples off the top of my head.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:37 AM

12,671 posts, read 7,778,916 times
The signs likely are correct. Older Federal (US route) highways are sometimes "decommissioned' and removed from the US highway network.

Decommissioned highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US Numbered Hiighway Ssystem did not evlve until some time in the mid-1920's prior to that time, many states, Pennsylvania among them, had their own numberiing system. What became US Route 1 (Lincoln Highway) was at one time Pennsylvnia Route 1. Pnnsylvania Route 8 (Pittsburgh-Erie was never incorporated into te Fwderal system, so it retains its low number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...bered_Highways

This has happened before. Penna route 61 from Sunbury to Reading was once US route 122. and routes 309 and 222, while they retain their old numbers, are now designated as Pennsylvana State highways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl...es_120_and_122

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-19-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM

13,310 posts, read 18,318,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The signs likely are correct. Older Federal (US route) highways are sometimes "decommissioned' and removed from the US highway network.

Decommissioned highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US Numbered Hiighway Ssystem did not evlve until some time in the mid-1920's prior to that time, many states, Pennsylvania among them, had their own numberiing system. What became US Route 1 (Lincoln Highway) was at one time Pennsylvnia Route 1. Pnnsylvania Route 8 (Pittsburgh-Erie was never incorporated into te Fwderal system, so it retains its low number.

United States Numbered Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has happened before. Penna route 61 from Sunbury to Reading was once US route 122. and routes 309 and 222, while they retain their old numbers, are now designated as Pennsylvana State highways.

Pennsylvania Route 61 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've heard nothing of U.S. 202 being decomissioned, though, so the signs above are incorrect.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM

4,259 posts, read 9,881,562 times
NY is very careful to make a distinction between US 15 and NY 15 (former US 15) when they intersect at Painted Post. Kind of amusing, actually.

I have seen Keystone signs for US 22 in Huntingdon County, and I think a few other traffic routes that should have US shields sometimes have Keystones instead. I don't think I've seen the reverse (a shield for a Keystone route).

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM

331 posts, read 258,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
NY is very careful to make a distinction between US 15 and NY 15 (former US 15) when they intersect at Painted Post. Kind of amusing, actually.

I have seen Keystone signs for US 22 in Huntingdon County, and I think a few other traffic routes that should have US shields sometimes have Keystones instead. I don't think I've seen the reverse (a shield for a Keystone route).
At Lehigh Valley International Airport, there's a US shield for PA Route 987. It looks horrendous!

In Allentown, when US 222 ends and continues into downtown Allentown, it becomes PA 222 and the signs change accordingly.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:31 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post

We have wrong signs at a local mall too.

The people who made the signs actually used shields instead of state routes. They say "EZ exit to....US 100 and US 295. Those routes never have been US routes at all. They've always been state routes. I don't think I've ever seen an instance where MDOT has put up the wrong signs though, these are on a private road owned by the mall.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,231,285 times
I'm ok with the fact that mistakes like this sometimes happen. In the Collegeville area, I've seen green PennDot signs indicating "Graterford" as well as "Gratersford." What surprises me, though, is how the blatantly incorrect ones, such as the US 202 sign on the PA shield, don't get fixed. I think I've also seen a PA 309 sign on a NJ/NY-style circular shield, which also baffles me.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:51 PM

32,836 posts, read 60,943,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
There's another one - eastbound Germantown Pike in East Norriton Township; I noticed it the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
In Allentown, when US 222 ends and continues into downtown Allentown, it becomes PA 222 and the signs change accordingly.
I'm surprised that Pa. 222 wasn't changed to avoid confusion.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 AM

15,008 posts, read 12,207,482 times
I just miss the days when our DOT's had river/creek/stream signs. It was nice to know our waterways as we traveled our highways. I also know that the cost has skyrocketed and that waterways are not highways. So it is logical that we no longer place signs on everything. Perhaps those old river signs were just a sign of better times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania