Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of a Statewide Public Smoking Ban?
Yes 83 62.41%
No 46 34.59%
I'm Not Sure 3 2.26%
I Don't Care 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

MrKrabs wrote:
Its sad that these people place more importance on their addiction than on the health of their children.
AGREED!

IMO, this could be better resolved with EDUCATION rather than passing yet another law. Every law that gets passed creates more criminals. Without education, these idiots will continue their current behaviour, law or not. With education there's a better chance that at least some of these idiots will see the destructivenees of their behaviour and change their ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Some people make me sick, some of you people act like smokers are disgusting creatures. They're not, they are human just like you and deserve the same amount of respect. See this is what is wrong with America today, too many people are divided. Who the hell are you to judge a person just because they smoke? If I wanna light one up, I should in peace without big brother telling me to put it out. I heard some places wanna ban smoking outdoors....OUTDOORS? Are you effing kidding me? The designated smoking areas weren't enough for you? You had to push the envelope more?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
rooster, as long as I or my family don't have to breathe in your smoke I could care less if you smoke 5 packs a day. I just hope you have good health insurance for the chemotherapy....

All this uproar about smoking wouldn't be such an issue if more smokers used common sense and a little courtesy. Keep your smoke to yourselves....don't think you automatically have the right to spew your fumes into other people's breathing space...you may not value your lungs, but others do....don't subject babies and children to your smoke....and another big pet peeve of mine with smokers: STOP THROWING YOUR BUTTS ON THE GROUND!!! Why do smokers think it is their right to just chuck their cigarette butts on the ground? Who do you think will pick them up? Its especially annoying when they throw the butts out their car window on the highway and it hits my car, especially dangerous if my window is open. Use a little common sense, and smokers wouldn't be so despised.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
MrKrabs wrote:
as long as I or my family don't have to breathe in your smoke I could care less if you smoke 5 packs a day. I just hope you have good health insurance for the chemotherapy....
I'm also in favor of allowing people to smoke...in private....away from children, but I'd like to see smokers disqualified from any kind of health insurance. Smokers obviously place little value on good health. They file more claims and drive up the premiums for those of us who do take care of our health. I resent paying for their stupidity and ignorance.

Also, I'm in favor of adding a $1 tax to each pack sold to help defray the cost of cleaning up all of those butts, carelesssly and thoughtlessly tossed out the car window along every city street and highway in the country.

That being said, I'm still strongly against a law that would completely ban smoking.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
rooster, as long as I or my family don't have to breathe in your smoke I could care less if you smoke 5 packs a day. I just hope you have good health insurance for the chemotherapy....

All this uproar about smoking wouldn't be such an issue if more smokers used common sense and a little courtesy. Keep your smoke to yourselves....don't think you automatically have the right to spew your fumes into other people's breathing space...you may not value your lungs, but others do....don't subject babies and children to your smoke....and another big pet peeve of mine with smokers: STOP THROWING YOUR BUTTS ON THE GROUND!!! Why do smokers think it is their right to just chuck their cigarette butts on the ground? Who do you think will pick them up? Its especially annoying when they throw the butts out their car window on the highway and it hits my car, especially dangerous if my window is open. Use a little common sense, and smokers wouldn't be so despised.
My smoke? What smoke? I don't even smoke.

It's just sad to see more freedoms vanish. America used to be a free country.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post

You did kind of insinuate that you're a smoker with your post.. Especially when you used the words "I" and "me":
Quote:
If I wanna light one up, I should in peace without big brother telling me to put it out.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:

It's just sad to see more freedoms vanish. America used to be a free country.

How about the freedom of people to breathe clean air? Why does that matter less than the rights of smokers? How about the freedom to walk outside my house and not find cigarette butts littered on the curb? Like I said, if smokers were more considerate of others, I don't think we'd be seeing this anti-smoker backlash.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
You did kind of insinuate that you're a smoker with your post.. Especially when you used the words "I" and "me":

Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for stereotyping me just because I take the side of smokers.

I've been around people that smoke, it's not that bad. A few exposures of secondhand smoke ain't gonna hurt.

And just because a few careless smokers like to flick their butts all over the place, you categorize all of them as litterbugs?

It's typical how Pennsylvanians want to debate everything.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:45 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
People tend to go overboard with this issue, business owners should be able to make their own rules, most resturants here are already smokeless.

Most of the population has quit smoking, can we get off the smokers backs and pay attention to more HUGE important issues like Iraq, how about what goes into our food supply? do you really think you are not getting sick from the beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, shot up with hormones, wasn't the film on that processing plant enough for everyone, why not look into that, some of that beef made it to the public schools here in PA, I'd think that would be a priority, sure so far no one has got sick, but who has in the past? Would you even know it, of course not, its a govt statistic now. Maybe you were told it was just the flu!!
Gee do you think it could be the imported tainted e-coli foods we are getting from other countries making people sick, has anyone of you who have so much time to press on rules and regulations on where people should smoke or whatever, have you ever wrote to your senator or rep or congressman the dept of justice, the USDA regarding our food supply and inspections, did you know that frozen dinners or canned dinners may say made in the USA but no that ain't the truth, once that food gets imported and then is processed here into other foods it is labeled USA. Why aren't you calling and complaining to govt officials about the China Imports, other country imports, all of these events are coming out now after what happened to the pet foods, why do you think so many pets are getting cushings disease and diabetes, of course!! they have been eating pets foods for years now, processed yuk from who knows where, long ago they ate tablescraps and were way better off.

Did you call or write a letter to anyone in Congress about our jobs here in American getting shipped to overseas? How'd you like calling Microsoft and talking to someone you can't understand plus the time you were on hold and this is everywhere anymore, even local utility companies now. Take a good look at the items in your house and see where they were made, yes it was made in China or Thailand or wherever. It was not made here. Have you called any of the corporations and asked them why they are importing cheap goods to fatten their pockets at the expense of the American people?

Did you read or even know about the soldiers in Iraq who were electrocuted in the showers because of an electrical pump made in another country, I'm not positive I don't have my newspaper but I'm sure it was China, and who would of made that decision? Why the people in government did that.

We have more important HUGE issues in this country and we better get off our A's , so start your complaining to Governors, Senators, Congressmen, the USDA and the corporations, and please don't tell me you are against gun control, if you think China isn't a threat to us you are in another world, we have already borrowed money from them, import their tainted food.
With our troops in Iraq, when they should not of been there in the first place, and another disaster would hit us again do we have enough military to protect all of us? Our Govt couldn't even get off there A's to help the Katrina victims or make a damn decision there, I think those mobile homes are still sitting somewhere aren't they? do you know?
What if we were to go at war, had to defend our homes, we have the right to bear arms, thats why the rule was made. Its not the good citizen who is going to abuse a gun. We are never going to stop killings from drug deals, robbers, gang killings etc. Any person in his right mind who is leary and has a gun has it locked up. Any person with knowledge of guns has it unloaded and in a secure place. Any persons with children who has a gun it is your responsibilty to keep that weapon out of reach of your child if you can't do this you should not have a gun!! You cannot blame the gun makers for your own stupid actions. If you don't like guns, fine ,don't buy one, but don't tell other citizens what to do or start your protesting, that responsible gun owner may someday save your life.

Its time to wake up people, we got bigger problems in this country than the smoking bans, start focusing on the big issues, do I need to mention it again? Smoking bans.............Wise up, use your efforts on more important issues.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Rural Lady

That is a great post. My compliments to you.

All the anti-smoking hysteria is nothing more than a smoke screen, a propagandized diversion to distract the populace from the important issues written into your post. The anti-smoking hysteria is a perfect example of the 'Hagelian Dialectic' in action. (I will also include man-made global warming)

I agree 110% with all your points. It's great to see that not everyone is walking around with blinders because of the mass mind control that the media and government assaults us with on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania