Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of a Statewide Public Smoking Ban?
Yes 83 62.41%
No 46 34.59%
I'm Not Sure 3 2.26%
I Don't Care 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,706 times

Advertisements

SMOKING BANS - FACT SHEET

Of the 123 second hand smoke studies (64 spousal, 25 work, 9 social, 25 children), only 16 showed a measurable positive risk. That’s 13% of the studies.

The ACS touts that 53,000 people die each year from second hand smoke. But they cannot produce their names…because they don’t have them.
Smoking bans were started by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) in 1992, through their “SmokeLess States” later called “RWJF Tobacco Control Policies”.

The RWJF has funded, to date, $446,000,000 for smoking bans
$99,000,000 was paid “in grants” to the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the American Medical Association to BUY smoking bans nationwide.

The RWJF created and funded Tobacco-Free Kids @ $70,000,000 since 1996, which they use to lobby for tobacco control policies nationwide through “grants”.

The RWJF created and funded American Non-Smokers Rights to the tune of $5,196,802 so far through “grants”.

The RWJF paid the ACS just under $1,000,000 to push nicotine replacement therapies, smoking cessation products and programs through a “grant”.
The RWJF paid the ACS $71,000 to lobby Medicaid to pay for NRT through a “grant”.

The RWJF IS Johnson and Johnson (who owns at 260 pharmaceutical companys).

The RWJF owns 60,000,000 shares (after sell off) of J&J stock which was at $64 per share worth $4,096,000,000.

J&J uses their political wing, the RWJF to fund the smoking ban movement in order to implement a government mandated use of their product
J&J Company’s subsidiaries' Nicoderm, Nicoderm CQ and Nicorette sales have SOARED while our businesses are closing.

One Million Boxes of Over-the-Counter Smoking Cessation Products Sold in January 2008.

J&J Co, who bought Pfizer OTC in 2006 @ $16.6 million dollars to get Nicorette promised a per share gain by 2009.

J&J has paid $24,980,000 in lobbying expenses from 2003-2007.
In fact, the pharmaceutical industry as a whole has paid $1,051,183,170 to lobby for their drugs and products since 2003.

This nation is a nation of drug takers at the beckoning of the drug companies.

Since 2003, the pharmaceutical companies have made PAC donations” of $20,802,279 to the House of Representatives and $31,416,269 to the Senate.

This is just step one to the RWJF’s plan for total Prohibition. They are using the same footprint for alcohol bans and have already spent half a billion dollars on obesity (guess who owns “Splenda”?).

US Surgeon General Report 2006 was the springboard for all the “hype” with Dr. Carmona’s “no safe exposure” rhetoric. The editor of this report was none other than Stanton Glantz, who has made it his life long goal to eradicate tobacco. He is the Professor of Medicine with the University of California (which has received over $6,000,000 in grants from RWJF). Dr. Glantz is, and was at the time of editing the SG Report, the Director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. Seems like the odds were stacked against SHS in this report. It didn’t stand a fighting chance.
The RWJF even studied and “groomed” Legislators. The grants go on and on, as does the money the RWJF spent on our government.

State Legislators Vary in Their Attitude Toward Tobacco Control:
This project described the processes by which state legislators form their opinions about tobacco use and tobacco control legislation. www.rwjf.org/programareas/resources/product.jsp?id=17860&pid=1141&gsa=1 (http://www.rwjf.org/programareas/resources/product.jsp?id=17860&pid=1141&gsa=1 - broken link) Cached 05/31/2000

Legislators Groomed to Become Strong Policy-Makers in Critical Health Issues:
From 1991 to 1996, staff at the Intergovernmental Health Policy Project (IHPP) continued and expanded the services provided by the organization: [URL="http://www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp?id=17834&gsa=1"]www.rwjf.org/pr/product.jsp?id=17834&gsa=1[/URL] Cached 12/01/2001

Bars nationwide are dying at an alarming rate. Ohio is no exception either. In Ohio, Anheuser Busch sales to bars/restaurants is DOWN 7.8%, draft beer DOWN 8.1% while sales to carryouts and drive thrus are UP 1.7%. FACT.
Loss of revenue from bars doesn’t just hurt bars. Sales and Use Taxes are hit hard. The Ohio Bureau of Workers Comp is funded by premiums paid by employers based on their payrolls. When places close their doors, there are less payrolls and less money to fund compensation and worker safety. The unemployment rate in Ohio is at 6%. We’re one of 7 states nationwide at 6% or higher. According to ODJFS News Release dated January 18, 2008, the hospitality industry has lost 2,700 jobs in the last 12 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,706 times
[FONT=Verdana]If I may make a suggestion to those that are for the ban, I suggest you look at the state financials for states that do now have the bans.

The state financials usually run at six months behind and are on line. You are in for a shock with loss if you know how to read them. FURTHER, check with various government agencies for businesses that have gone bankrupt or closed after a ban was put into place. ... I assume you will believe the state governments own figures for those states.

The bans KILL business, put people on food stamps, causes lost homes and a lot more as the decline in sales filters down to other businesses (example: band members, supply houses, distributors) and takes away from state revenues other than for just sales tax.

Those that want bans for their own 'likes' or 'dislikes' need to research where bans come from - that is WHO pays for them! Do you think they just happen magically out of no where and for free? Doesn't it seem odd that they are all the same with the legal language?

Bans are bought thru grants by big business with an agenda and they are not spending that amount of money to go broke! The industry that BUYS smoking bans also sells all the no-smoke products. ... You will ALSO find that all the negative research concerning smoking for the last 30+ years has been paid for by the same foundation that 'buys' smoking bans. And, politicians LOVE bonus checks too!

Further: This country was built on Freedom. Each ban for anything is a step to kill it. For those that like to control others, may I suggest they move back to their ancestral homeland/s.

It has already been announced by the 'same' foundation that the 'Official Alcohol Ban' will begin now that many smoking venues are closed. What will be after that? Read thru what is known and you'll also be very worried about your medical records.

What & who is behind the bans, along with WHY.
Follow the page links.
[URL="http://cleanairquality.blogspot.com/"]http://cleanairquality.blogspot.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.forces.org/"]http://www.forces.org[/URL] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]
Free Choice, Free Enterprise and signs is a wonderful invention.
It is one thing still PARTLY left that was built in the [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]USA[/FONT][FONT=Verdana].[/FONT]

Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Another example of big brother watching you.

If you don't like someone elses smoke, then MOVE!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
If I had the time, I could dig up stats on how much money tobacco companies spend trying to influence legislators, gain new customers (to replace those who have quit and/or died), to raise doubt about whether tobacco usage, esp. cigarette smoking, actually causes disease, and to line their and their sharholders pockets, much as History_Buff has done for the RWJ Foundation.

I have a hard time believing this "gloom and doom" about bars. Have people quit drinking, in public, b/c they can't smoke at the bar anymore? I doubt it.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 AM

158 posts, read 527,119 times
Smoke kills people. As a casual smoker, I'm all for ending it. As someone who does not have an opinion based on their love of/addiction to smoking, I'm glad I don't have an opinion based on a love of/addition to smoking. In short, I don't care; smoking destroys life, and we need to end it.

Free choice? REally?...when did YOU start? I bet your individual psychology suggests it's not very free at all.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM

53 posts, read 197,818 times
I hate cigaretts they are nasty and I hate when someone blows their smoke near me. If you want to smoke do it in your own house or your own car. I don't want to be killed my your 2nd hand smoke.!!!!!!

I think it is totally unfair for non smokers to have to smell that CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM

53 posts, read 197,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Another example of big brother watching you.

If you don't like someone elses smoke, then MOVE!

Why should I HAVE TO MOVE
The smoker should should not be their killing my lungs

Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanniGirl View Post
I hate cigaretts they are nasty and I hate when someone blows their smoke near me. If you want to smoke do it in your own house or your own car. I don't want to be killed my your 2nd hand smoke.!!!!!!

I think it is totally unfair for non smokers to have to smell that CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. And I also think its pathetic when smokers expose their children to their smoke. I get so mad every time I see some jackass in a car smoking and car seats with small children in the backseat. How dumb and ignorant can these people be? Or pregnant women smoking? I want to just walk up to them and snap their cancer stick in half. If someone wants to smoke...fine....but do not force it on your children! They should go outside away from their kids if they want to feed their cancer stick addiction! At least I as an adult have the freedom to walk away from a smoker if I don't want to breathe it in....children of smokers don't have that freedom. Its sad that these people place more importance on their addiction than on the health of their children.

That's why I say nevermind to banning smoking in bars....ban smoking around kids first!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanniGirl View Post
Why should I HAVE TO MOVE
The smoker should should not be their killing my lungs
It's a free country and that's the cost of freedom.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
It's a free country and that's the cost of freedom.
You're right, it is a free country, and I have a right to BREATHE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania