Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
what does that map indicate, exactly? Tax burden doesn't make too much sense because then why would New Jersey be in the lower third?
I am fairly certain this is total gas taxes (Fed and state) in each state, given that this thread is about PA's gas prices and taxes.

NJ has one of the lowest state gas taxes in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanling View Post
what does that map indicate, exactly? Tax burden doesn't make too much sense because then why would New Jersey be in the lower third?
It's the combined federal and state tax on a gallon of gas. When you buy a gallon of gas there is 60 cents tax on it included in the price. The federal tax is about 18 cents and has been since the early 90's. The states set their own tax so that's why you have such differences. This is where the primary funding for road construction and maintenance comes from.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
NJ has one of the lowest state gas taxes in the nation.
True but the rest of them are through the roof and you bet they are shifting funds from the general fund(e.g income tax revenue) to make up the difference.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
True but the rest of them are through the roof and you bet they are shifting funds from the general fund(e.g income tax revenue) to make up the difference.
I'm surprised that there isn't more pressure in NJ to raise their gas tax since now they are literally surrounded by states with high gas taxes.

The fact that states are transferring $ from other funds makes it pretty obvious that there are more infrastructure needs in this country than some would care to admit.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM

300 posts, read 441,325 times
In northern PA it is still in the $2.90s. I hope it gets down to $2 so it is the same as natural gas(we have a decent amount of natural gas stations in my county), just to see if it goes down or if everyone who spent a bunch on a NG car/conversion gets screwed.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It might be ... if you'd bothered to post what exactly this map is comparing.
This map tells you not to wait for gas prices in PA to come down much more. There are 60 cents of taxes to make sure of that. The lowest around here is the Wawa in Audobon for $2.75. 25 cents more and I’d be happy.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Hey you all, get ready for the next installment of Corbett's gas tax increase of 9.5¢ on Jan. 1. I hope you rich Philly suburbanites who ride SEPTA into work and buy your gas in Delaware or New Jersey are happy.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The fact that states are transferring $ from other funds makes it pretty obvious that there are more infrastructure needs in this country than some would care to admit.
This stuff is hard to pin down. Nationally about 40% of the 18 cent gas tax goes to things other than roads like mas transit. Here in PA there is percentage going to mass transit but I'm not sure how much. Half the tolls on the Turnpike are given to PennDOT which is really ridiculous because it's like being charged triple. You have the toll, you have the toll going to PennDOT and the gas tax on top of that.

What percentage of the state fuel tax is being siphoned off to mass transit I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if there is any money coming from other resources going back to roads other than the Turnpike.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
In northern PA it is still in the $2.90s. I hope it gets down to $2 so it is the same as natural gas(we have a decent amount of natural gas stations in my county), just to see if it goes down or if everyone who spent a bunch on a NG car/conversion gets screwed.
These low gas prices are only temporary, OPEC is trying to put pressure on the domestic producers here and put them out of business.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Hey you all, get ready for the next installment of Corbett's gas tax increase of 9.5¢ on Jan. 1. I hope you rich Philly suburbanites who ride SEPTA into work and buy your gas in Delaware or New Jersey are happy.
I posted something on another thread about what counties generate which gas taxes in PA. I will let you look for it - which I'm sure you won't. Regardless, if SE PA generates 30% of the $2.5 billion that this tax is expected to generate, that's $750M. SEPTA's funding increased by about $300m. I don't have the projections - not sure anyone does - but if SE PA gets less than $400m then once again we are subsidizing the rest of the state.

Instead of spewing anti-urban crap, do some research first. Remember where your bread is buttered (to quote Corbett).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania