Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 63,269 times

Advertisements

So i've lived in Pa almost my whole life, except for a short time where i escaped to Arizona. I now live back in the same small town in the northeast/center of the state where 90% of the people who live here are drunk, racist, meth-heads. Most are on welfare for no other reason than because they can be. This town is killing my soul.

I've never been a big fan of Philly or Pittsburgh. I want to move to another small-ish town. I'm looking for a place that is close to mountains and has some somewhat interesting stuff to do. My forte is outdoor life; mountain bike, rock climbing, kayak, snowboarding, hiking, dirt biking.

So i'm really looking for places people would recommend? Somewhere without pricks who drive around with confederate flags on their cars, somewhere with nice wilderness around, somewhere not to big, somwhere where people are friendly. I was thinking more north-west towards Allegheny State Forest.

Does anyone have ANY recommendations for nice towns? Even if it is not exactly what i described. Tell me what town you love in PA and what its good qualities are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 01:34 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Your thread might get more positive responses if you have a different thread title. I do not consider my area of Pennsylvania "Pennsyl-tucky" and find that phrase offensive. Care to change it?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Your thread might get more positive responses if you have a different thread title. I do not consider my area of Pennsylvania "Pennsyl-tucky" and find that phrase offensive. Care to change it?
Who cares what people choose to call it? We all have differing views of the state and not everybody is going to think like you. If you don't like it, ignore it?

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 06-06-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Who cares what people choose to call it? We all have differing views of the state and not everybody is going to think like you. If you don't like it, ignore it?
Many people care...not to mention that toobusytoday is a moderator.

I have a suspicion that there are few usernames here who are the same person trolling.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Many people care...not to mention that toobusytoday is a moderator.

I have a suspicion that there are few usernames here who are the same person trolling.
I just find it funny that people on the PA forum can't take it when people have differing opinions of the state (AKA a negative opinion). It's rather silly to call somebody out on it just like it would be silly to call out everybody who has a positive opinion of PA. Not everybody likes this state and that's fine. Not really sure what your point is that a mod making the statement unless you feel we can't question any comment a mod makes here? Once again, not everybody is going to hold the same opinion about PA which is acceptable.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
What's awesome is how the people who don't like Pennsylvania pretend that all 12.6 million people in the state are exactly alike.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
So i've lived in Pa almost my whole life, except for a short time where i escaped to Arizona. I now live back in the same small town in the northeast/center of the state where 90% of the people who live here are drunk, racist, meth-heads. Most are on welfare for no other reason than because they can be. This town is killing my soul.

I've never been a big fan of Philly or Pittsburgh. I want to move to another small-ish town. I'm looking for a place that is close to mountains and has some somewhat interesting stuff to do. My forte is outdoor life; mountain bike, rock climbing, kayak, snowboarding, hiking, dirt biking.

So i'm really looking for places people would recommend? Somewhere without pricks who drive around with confederate flags on their cars, somewhere with nice wilderness around, somewhere not to big, somwhere where people are friendly. I was thinking more north-west towards Allegheny State Forest.

Does anyone have ANY recommendations for nice towns? Even if it is not exactly what i described. Tell me what town you love in PA and what its good qualities are.
I forgot to say that State College and it's surrounding areas might be a good place. Lots to do in SC and people are very friendly. Tons of entertainment from Penn state and loads of great restaurants/shopping. Also have skiing nearby in the winter time. It's quite different than most of the other rural areas of the state. You have nice little communities close by that might fit your small town wants.....Bellefonte, Pleasant Gap, Centre Hall, and Rebersburg are all nice places to live.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 20,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

Try West Virginia. I know people in PA snicker at the people of WV, but I've had the good fortune of working with some and they seem to be better grounded than anyone I ever met in Pittsburgh.

If you like AZ, why not try Flaggstaff? Or one of the bordering towns of Denver? Pretty much any small neighboring town right outside a large metro area will give you what you seek. The trick is, trying to find the metro area that is the most friendly. I'd check PA right my list. No offense, but it's not known to be a very friendly state. I'd stay away from VA, LA, AL, Mississippi, and North FL.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 20,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
I just find it funny that people on the PA forum can't take it when people have differing opinions of the state (AKA a negative opinion). It's rather silly to call somebody out on it just like it would be silly to call out everybody who has a positive opinion of PA. Not everybody likes this state and that's fine. Not really sure what your point is that a mod making the statement unless you feel we can't question any comment a mod makes here? Once again, not everybody is going to hold the same opinion about PA which is acceptable.
The funny thing is that people who actually LIVE in PA seem to be much nicer than most of those who post on this particular forum! Go figure!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayTuesdayWTF View Post
Try West Virginia. I know people in PA snicker at the people of WV, but I've had the good fortune of working with some and they seem to be better grounded than anyone I ever met in Pittsburgh.Good luck!
I agree that most of what he wants won't be found in PA...more or less it sounds like he wants a liberal/progressive mindset along with rural settings. State College is as close as you'll get in PA...however, Morgantown WV is 100% perfect for what the OP wants. All of the nature activities will be easily accessed, and the university presense keeps things up to date and more modern.

And about Pennsyltucky...I used that term in passing before and got chewed out on here as well. I don't see what the big deal is, the term even has its own wikipedia page and factual boundaries. It's not just a slang term, I think it's actually become legit as a nickname for the rural parts of the state that are not a part of the Pitts/Philly metros. It's only negative if you choose to make it negative, so have a sense of humor...every state has kooky rural areas that look like something out of deliverance, PA is no different(don't make me create a photo essay...) and there's no hiding from it. Just lighten up and have fun with it, Pennsyltucky is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania