U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM

18 posts, read 56,542 times
Default Sharon/Hermitage area?

Would you recommend the Sharon/Hermitage area as a nice place to live?
What's the racial makeup and crime rate?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

2,938 posts, read 958,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean3009 View Post
Would you recommend the Sharon/Hermitage area as a nice place to live?
What's the racial makeup and crime rate?
Thanks!

I know nothing about Sharon other than the fact that its awful close to Youngstown, Ohio, which is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the country.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM

59 posts, read 220,028 times
Default sharon

Sharon is a nice city of about 16,000, it is close to youngstown, but is surely better. Hermitage ditto, nice town of again about 15-16,000. Also in the area are the boroughs of Farrell and Sharpsville. All fine towns with generally low crime rates. Ethnic makeups are largely Italian,German,Irish with a Slovak population present as well. I've been there, not a bad city at all, at least I think it is fine...

Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 13,337 times
Thanks for the compliments, PAman! The Shenango Valley has gotten a bad rap in recent years due to its deindustrialization and its proximity to the Youngstown metro area (although it is certainly NOT anything like Youngstown!), but it still manages to be a very nice place to live with decent, highly affordable housing and plenty of good people. Sharon is by far the densest of the communities in the Valley (about 4,000 people/square mile), is about 10% minorities, and is generally very urban in appearance; however, it lives up to its nickname as "the Friendly City" and boasts a neighborhood tightness that just can't be found anywhere else in the Valley, as well as a full-service hospital, a 50,000 volume public library, and a downtown business district which has seen better days but which is poised on the brink of an exciting rebirth thanks to the efforts of new businesses locating there and the development plans of the City of Sharon, Penn State Shenango, Shenango River Watchers, and the Vocal Group Hall of Fame foundation. Hermitage is highly suburbanized, with the majority of the big box retail and, consequently, the majority of the traffic. It's a nice place to live as well, with the newest housing in the Valley and the most cul-de-sacs by far, but it is also somewhat lacking in character (it looks just like any other suburban sprawl). Sharpsville is somewhat similar to Sharon, but much smaller and somewhat disjunct from the rest of the Valley (it borders the Shenango Dam and the much more sparsely populated areas of South Pymatuming Township and the borough of Clark). Farrell has the highest minority population of the Valley and is not looked upon favorably as a result of that, but again, it has many nice areas as well as its own shopping plaza (beats the traffic of Hermitage!). And finally there's Wheatland...let's just say, that's some small-town mentality at its finest.

Anyway, if you're considering relocating to the area, I'd suggest checking www.realtor.com (broken link) and using these zipcodes to look up houses:

Sharon: 16146
Hermitage: 16148
Farrell: 16121
Sharpsville: 16150 (includes South Pym. Twp.)
Wheatland: 16161

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,733 times
Default Comments

I think it's horrible that you pre-judge and area because of the minority's. I am from Farrell and damn proud of it. Atleast from the school I graduated I can say that I can pass an entry level college exam. My daughter went to Sharpsville and had to have 6 months of tutoring when we moved to another state to catch up. EVERY area in Mercer County has it's good and bad areas. It's how you choose to open your eyes that will determine your thoughts. Oh, and by the way open your mind. To answer any of your issues that you seem to live your life by, I am White, of Italian, Irish and German decent. And if you can't figure it out, I AM WHITE! There are many beautiful places in the Shenango Valley to visit. There are visitors centers to get any information you may like, and websites for mercercounty.
To the people asking about the area. PLEASE do not base Mercer County on this one judgemental person. And Youngstown, OH is 20 minutes away. If you don't want to go there DON'T. Everything you need is in Mercer County.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,577,340 times
Yeah, just because the city of Youngstown is bad in "some" areas, it doesn't mean that the entire metro is bad. Most areas around Youngstown are actually very nice.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM

16 posts, read 26,861 times
youngstown is high in crime and poverty like cleveland and pittsburgh they are steal/ industry town in an economy that doesnt buy .... i still drive to youngstown for couple small restraunt there i like .... but around youngstown ... boardman is very nice and has money ... austintown again nice ..... sharon PA and hermatiage PA both are nice low crime communitys i think that sharon is really pretty..... the people that commit crime in youngstown and pittsburgh cant afford to live in any of the places mentioned there is no poverty housing so check out boardman,austintown,sharon pa, hermatiage, and i like salem ohio its got very very low crime and nice little town atomsphere

Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times
I am in hermitage, PA.....I am searching for an apartments in Sharon, PA for 3 to 6 months but could not find anyone......if any one has an idea or if someone needs a room mate or want to have paying guest please reply me or suggest me.....my email is [email]parmesword@gmail.com......than[/email]ks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania