Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 PM

712 posts, read 1,362,714 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and 3 small kids are moving from Seattle, WA to Reading, PA in the summer of 2008. We have some questions for you out there with the knowledge, some may be pretty tough to answer, but whatever you can answer would be most helpful and appreciated.

Just want to compare

In your opinion, where are the best, safest elementary schools in the Reading area? (In Seattle it's in the area East of Lake Washington)

What is the current price of Gas for the cheap stuff, the 87 grade?
(In Seattle its $3.50 a gallon)

What are the average weekly daycare costs for a 5 & 3 year old, both "potty trained"? (In Seattle its like $700-$800)

Are there certain items in the grocery store that seem over-priced or too expensive? (In Seattle area, Milk is about $3.89 a gallon, 12-pack of Sam Adams is $16.99)

What would be the most dangerous areas to stay away from in the Reading area, Philadephia area etc? (In Seattle it's Everett, Columbia & White Center)

Thanks for your help! Please feel free to add anything else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 AM

342 posts, read 1,789,527 times
Hi,
I live in the Reading area and will try and answer at least some of your questions. We are actually being relocated from the area to central New Jersey. In my honest opinion, most of the schools around Reading are terrific. We have a Reading mailing address, but live in Exeter Township, which in actuality is about 6 miles to the west of the city itself.(And a world apart!) Exeter township schools are ranked 3rd in Berks county I believe. A great and SAFE school system. My son is in 2nd grade at Jacksonwald elementary. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff there. I know that Wyomissing schools are good too. Reading city center, is ok during the day. It seems as if there is a small pocket of crime that happens at night(7th and Spruce streets). The majority of the crime is Hispanic on Hispanic crime. Sad but true. We live in an upscale development that is almost rural. And that is what you find outside the city. Beautiful countryside, with little to non-existent crime.

As far as cost of living goes. I think you will find that the Reading area will be much cheaper than Seattle. For example, when I purchased gas this week I believed I paid $3.09/gallon. A gallon of milk runs about $3.29, housing prices should be significantly less than where you are now. I cannot give you the rundown on daycare. My son was in preschool when we moved here. Hopefully someone else has those numbers. If you go to a cost of living calculator site such as: bankrate.com or cityrating.com they will give you a good idea of your savings.

I hope I have helped you somewhat. Please disregard what you read about Reading being unsafe. The city is having a rebirth of sorts with places like the Goggleworks, and now there is going to be a Children's musuem built. And outside of the "pocket of crime" in the city itself, the outlying areas are totally safe. DM me if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help. Good luck with your move!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM

54 posts, read 223,995 times
I live in Lower Alsace. It takes me 10 minutes to get to downtown Reading where I work.
The cost of living here is much cheaper than the Seattle area.

My house is within a half mile from the daycare, primary school, elementary school and high school. Extremely convenient no matter what age your kids are.
All the schools dismiss within 10 minutes of each other so no kid has to stand around waiting to be picked up.

Coincidentally I will be selling my 3 bedroom 2.5 bath home this summer.

Interested?

(I'm moving out of state)

Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM

I wanted to ammend the above gas price I quoted earlier. I filled up this morning and I paid $3.15 a gallon.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,919,405 times
This is certainly NOT typical for the Reading outlying areas, but unfortunately there was a school stabbing incident today:
Newsvine - 3 Students Stabbed; Pa. School Evacuated

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
This is certainly NOT typical for the Reading outlying areas, but unfortunately there was a school stabbing incident today:
Newsvine - 3 Students Stabbed; Pa. School Evacuated

Yes, this happened in Lower Alsace Township. I am unfamiliar with that School District, however, it is rare for anything like that to happen. Unfortunately, we are seeing incidents like this at Junior High and High Schools across the country. It is a shame.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
Hi,
I live in the Reading area and will try and answer at least some of your questions. We are actually being relocated from the area to central New Jersey. In my honest opinion, most of the schools around Reading are terrific. We have a Reading mailing address, but live in Exeter Township, which in actuality is about 6 miles to the west of the city itself.(And a world apart!) Exeter township schools are ranked 3rd in Berks county I believe. A great and SAFE school system. My son is in 2nd grade at Jacksonwald elementary. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff there. I know that Wyomissing schools are good too. Reading city center, is ok during the day. It seems as if there is a small pocket of crime that happens at night(7th and Spruce streets). The majority of the crime is Hispanic on Hispanic crime. Sad but true. We live in an upscale development that is almost rural. And that is what you find outside the city. Beautiful countryside, with little to non-existent crime.

As far as cost of living goes. I think you will find that the Reading area will be much cheaper than Seattle. For example, when I purchased gas this week I believed I paid $3.09/gallon. A gallon of milk runs about $3.29, housing prices should be significantly less than where you are now. I cannot give you the rundown on daycare. My son was in preschool when we moved here. Hopefully someone else has those numbers. If you go to a cost of living calculator site such as: bankrate.com or cityrating.com they will give you a good idea of your savings.

I hope I have helped you somewhat. Please disregard what you read about Reading being unsafe. The city is having a rebirth of sorts with places like the Goggleworks, and now there is going to be a Children's musuem built. And outside of the "pocket of crime" in the city itself, the outlying areas are totally safe. DM me if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help. Good luck with your move!
Thanks for the great post. This is very helpful!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Your Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Thanks for the great post. This is very helpful!
Please continue to ask questions as they come up. I will try my best to answer. Good luck on your quest.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
Please continue to ask questions as they come up. I will try my best to answer. Good luck on your quest.

Thanks for that. I asked this in one of the other posts too, but here is a more specific question. Douglassville seems to be a nice find in regards to cheap homes, nice schools, safe living.

I am wondering what other cities can be compared to Douglassville that are in a 30 mile radius to Reading?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM

A lot of the towns around Reading are affordable and safe. Obviously, I push Exeter Township, because it is what I know. But there are other small towns like Birdsboro. Morgantown is another one that springs to mind. It is at the end of the 176, which is only about 12 miles to Reading and a pretty straight shot. Oley and Fleetwood are other smallish communites that are nice. I think that you will find that there is quite of bit reasonably priced housing in nice, safe areas. Besides the City of Reading itself, I believe all of the surrounding schools are good. I hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania