Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,776 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I posted this once under Lehigh Valley, but perhaps this is a more appropriate forum...

A little about myself: I'm originally from western PA, but I move frequently for work. Recently, I've lived in Texas, D.C., and Florida (where I spend the offseason). I actually spent about 8 months in Allentown in 2013, though I'm unfamiliar with the area between there and Reading - which is where I'd like to live this time around.

I'm not necessarily looking for a specific apartment recommendation; rather, I'm mainly concerned with finding an affordable, livable town with convenient access to both Reading and Coplay as I'll be spending equal time in both places for work. Just looking @ a map, Kutztown and Hamburg seem like viable options, but I would definitely welcome any recommendations you might have.

I don't have a big preference between urban and rural life, but I'd like to live in a safe area with at least reasonably convenient access to grocery stores, restaurants, and the like. I also don't have kids, so school district isn't a concern.

Thanks for the help, and please let me know if I've left out any useful information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:49 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
There are several of them, but you'll do better if you follow the older roads (not numbered, but usually within sight of the railroad), rather than US 222 via Kutztown.

Blandon, Fleetwood, Topton and Alburtis immediately come to mind.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
I'm fond of Boyertown, though that's with the caveat that I don't know anything about the school district, and it's about 10 minutes further from Allentown than, say, Kutztown would be. (Though it is 20-30 minutes closer to Philadelphia than the towns paralleling 220, for whatever that might be worth to you).

Old 02-05-2015, 03:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Boyertown is a nice town but it would be a hike to Coplay. I would probably put it on the list.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 PM

429 posts, read 719,425 times
I'm partial to Kutztown myself. Cute as can be. Nice library. Nice University bringing cultural events to town. Cute movie theater. Lots of independently owned shops. Lots of farm-fresh produce 2 minutes outside town. Located pretty much midway between your commutes to Coplay and Reading. You've got to see for yourself, though. See if it hits your hot button.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 8,776 times
Hey All,

After one year in the area, I'm moving again. This time down to Florida for work.

I know it's late, but I wanted to thank you guys for the insight. It was incredibly helpful!

I ended up in Kutztown, which was perfect for my commute (Pricetown Rd. to Reading; never 222!). Lived right on main street and loved the shops, movie theater, and definitely the stuffed pretzels!

Thanks again!

Old 03-06-2016, 12:31 PM

635 posts, read 1,165,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelipps22 View Post
Hey All,

After one year in the area, I'm moving again. This time down to Florida for work.

I know it's late, but I wanted to thank you guys for the insight. It was incredibly helpful!

I ended up in Kutztown, which was perfect for my commute (Pricetown Rd. to Reading; never 222!). Lived right on main street and loved the shops, movie theater, and definitely the stuffed pretzels!

Thanks again!

You lasted a year in Kutztown?! How did you manage to stave off the boredom?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
You lasted a year in Kutztown?! How did you manage to stave off the boredom?
having a car helps.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 PM

429 posts, read 719,425 times
Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks again!
I'm happy to hear that you had a good year in Kutztown. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I had a hunch you'd like it. Best of luck with your time in Florida

Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Hey All,

Thanks again!
Thanks for sharing! Far too often a newbie posts questions and then just disappears, leaving us to wonder/worry if they're doing okay. I'm glad you enjoyed your brief stint in Kutztown, and best of luck in the Sunshine State!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania