U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 12:52 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,386,174 times

Advertisements

I'll be passing though Erie on Memorial Day weekend, will be spending a Saturday night there.

3 questions:

1. I plan on getting into Erie while its still light out, so would like maybe a good driving tour of things to see. Particulary interested in older neighborhoods, downtown, etc...

2. Are there any good downtown nightlife areas (like live music, coffeeshops, etc)?

3. Is there a 24 hour or early-hours diner or short order place in town where I can get an early breakfast on Sunday morning when I head out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:36 PM

2,578 posts, read 3,263,683 times
1. Here are a few things I recommend to see:

Presque Isle- Awesome state park and the ice dunes are currently pretty amazing. Also, check out the lighthouse it looks awesome in the winter and look for snowy owls.

Millionaire's Row- This is sixth street near downtown and there are many mansions here to see that are amazing. Also, the Watson Curtze mansion is very nice to visit and you can tour it, but I think it is currently under renovation/restoration. Here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/eriehistory

Dobbins Landing/Erie Maritime Museum- This is a really cool area at the foot of State St. and this is where the Bicentennial Tower is located as well as the Sheraton. The museum is pretty nice and here is a link to their website: Flagship Niagara League

The Erie Art Museum- This is a really nice building downtown and is worth the trip: http://erieartmuseum.org/

Erie Insurance Arena- This is a newly renovated minor league sports venue and it is definitely worth checking out and going to an Otters or Bayhawks game is a good time: Erie Events | Erie Insurance Arena | Facilities
Erie Otters Hockey
Erie BayHawks

Warner Theatre- This is an awesome facility and located right downtown: Erie Events | Warner Theatre

The BrewErie- This is a brewery located in the old train station. The building is absolutely stunning and worth the trip: THE BREWERIE | Erie PA | Home Page

I also recommend other places like the Tap House, Lavery Brewery, etc.
UPick6
Lavery Brewing Company - Erie, PA - Home

Asbury Woods- This place is amazing and the snowshoeing/cross country ski trails are awesome and they have rentals: Welcome to Asbury Woods Website

Neighborhoods: If you are looking for some interesting and historic neighborhoods to drive around, check out Frontier Park and Glenwood Hills. These neighborhoods are pretty nice and they are some neat houses, especially on South Shore Drive. Here is a map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S+...bc3f88e093129f

2. In terms of downtown nightlife, there are many options from cigar/jazz bars to dive bars and college student hangouts. It really depends on what you are looking for, but I recommend the Plymouth, Calamaris, Jekyll and Hydes, Cloud 9 Wine Bar, and Lavery Brewery. These are all pretty easy to find and here are some links to the music venues:
https://www.facebook.com/sherlocksparkplace
Basement Transmissions

The coffee shops are a bit of a disappointment and I think the best is the Brick House, but it is a little far from downtown. Here is the link: BRICK HOUSE

There are many places on State St. for nightlife, it just depends on what your looking for and I have been to many of them so feel free to ask questions.
This place seems to have changed a little bit, but still has the club atmosphere also: https://www.facebook.com/coconutjoeserie

3. Dominick's is the only 24 hour place I know in the area and it is decent for a 24 hour diner. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/Dominicks24Eatery
There are also places that open very early like the Breakfast Place. Here is the link for that: The Breakfast Place

Panos is also open 24 hours and it is a little ways away from downtown, but not far. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/PanosErie

My favorite breakfast places are the Summer House Cafe and the Breakfast Place. Here is the link for the Summer House: Erie PA Restaurant and Catering. Home of Make It Fabulous Catering — The most exquisite food in the Erie area!*|* Summer House Cafe

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about anything let me know.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,010,485 times
Quote:
Is there a 24 hour or early-hours diner or short order place in town where I can get an early breakfast on Sunday morning when I head out.
Perkins on Peach St. is open 24/7 but it is not near the interstate.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM

35,330 posts, read 64,630,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
3. Is there a 24 hour or early-hours diner or short order place in town where I can get an early breakfast on Sunday morning when I head out.
Dominick's is awesome. Lots of local color.

I like the Zodiac Dinor, but it doesn't open super early.

Local Diner, Retro Diner | Erie, PA

Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dominick's is awesome. Lots of local color.

I like the Zodiac Dinor, but it doesn't open super early.

Local Diner, Retro Diner | Erie, PA
Zodiac has very good pancakes
The meatball omelette at Dominicks was quite unusual to me when I first came to Erie because I had never heard of such a thing, but it is quite good and definitely one of the comfort foods I like late at night.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,386,174 times
Yes, thanks you all. Looks like plenty of spots for breakfast...leanding toward Panos or Dominicks due to my early start on Sunday. But otherwise seems like a good town for eats!

I do have a follow-up question on Presque Isle. It looks pretty neat out there in the Lake and was wondering about hours...how late it stays open. If the weather is clear I'd like to drive out there to see the sun set over the lake!

Also, this Millionaires Row on 6th..is this west or east of downtown?

Otherwise, this is a good start. Thanks a bunch. Muscially I tend toward the local live music/orginal music scene, with also a tendancy to acoustic or folk-rock "Americana". Pretty sure I can find that if I surf around those venue sites. Good to see these are on State as I will be staying off of Perry Hwy and the interstate, and Perry turns into state as you head into town (been looking at some of this on google maps).

Erie actually seems a lot bigger and more spread out than I thought. Interestingly enough,: what I see on streetview reminds me of some of the towns I recall from my days out west!

Looking forward to exploring the place a bit, and deffo will hump it to get there for enough late afternoon/early evening daylight....my favorite time of day! Erie in golden hour light!

Anyway...thanks for the recommendations and looking forward to my stopover!

Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Presque Isle I believe is open until 8 or 9 PM in the winter. Millionaire's Row is west of downtown and starts near Gannon University and goes to the Frontier Park area. Erie is definitely spread out and there are different areas of the metro where things are concentrated. For instance, Upper Peach St. in Millcreek/Summit Townships have alot of the chain shopping and of course the Millcreek Mall with a new Primantis and Mad Mex. Downtown Erie has many of the better bars and locally owned restaurants. The two best coffee shops in the area (The Brick House and Out of the Grey) are both in Fairview. The architecture and interesting sites are also a little spread out and I like the Erie Land Lighthouse and the Presque Isle Lighthouse, but they are not really that close to one another. Here is the website for the Erie Land Lighthouse: Erie Land Lighthouse, Pennsylvania at Lighthousefriends.com

The best spot for viewing the city of Erie is actually by looking across Presque Isle Bay from Presque Isle State Park. The Tom Ridge Environmental Center is also a pretty cool place and I like some of the movies they show on the Big Green Screen. Here is their website: Home: Tom Ridge Environmental Center at Presque Isle -- TRECpi

The winery scene is getting a little better near Erie and my new favorite is 6 Mile Cellars in Harborcreek and all of the chocolatiers are amazing (Romolos, Pulakos, and Steffanellis).
https://www.pulakoschocolates.com/
Romolo Chocolates, Erie PA: Artisan chocolates, barista drinks and decadent treats, featuring Grandpa Romolo's Famous Sponge Candy.
https://www.stefanelliscandies.com/

One place I also forgot to mention in the last post is JR's Comedy Club, this place gets some pretty good acts and I definitely like the atmosphere. Here is the link: Jr.'s Last Laugh - You'll Laugh Your Head Off!

Enjoy your time in Erie and I hope the weather cooperates for your visit to Presque Isle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania