Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM

13 posts, read 19,971 times

Advertisements

Okay so I am a bisexual african american female college student and i was just wondering how liberal are Lancaster, PA and Gettysburg, PA. Franklin and Marshall and Gettysburg College are both options for school for me and i was wondering what the nightlife is like there and the liberal open minded community is like there. is it fairly open and accepting or really strict and conservative?
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
You might do better asking in the Pennsylvania forum. I have only visited both places and can't give you much detail, but Lancaster is a much bigger town than Gettysburg, and as such, probably has more to do in the community. A big part of Gettysburg revolves around visitors to the battlefield, while Lancaster seems to have more of local community feel to it, art galleries, bars, etc.

I'm a hetero middle-aged white male, so chances are my experiences would be different than yours regarding judging how open minded people may be in these communities, so I can't help you there.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:19 PM

thanks for your honesty and advice

Old 03-13-2015, 07:56 PM

225 posts, read 394,923 times
Straight AA female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriGernell View Post
Okay so I am a bisexual african american female college student and i was just wondering how liberal are Lancaster, PA and Gettysburg, PA.

Short answer. Not at all.

Franklin and Marshall and Gettysburg College are both options for school for me and i was wondering what the nightlife is like there

Short answer. Non-existent.

and the liberal open minded community is like there. is it fairly open and accepting or really strict and conservative?

Short answer: Strict and conservative.
Thanks for your time.
It is a beautiful part of Pa and my husband and I (an BW/WM IRR couple) have spent a lot of time there with no problem but these are rural communities so the bi deal may be a bit of a challenge for you.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks! That's pretty much what i figured

Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 84,094 times
The Strait A Female ladies answers in red are 100% correct.

Im a Lanc. native. and unfortunately still live here. Lanc is not liberal at all. in fact its the polar opposite. we have no night life to speak of, most things to do are family oriented and most places close by 10:00 except a cpl of 24 hr grocery stores. wouldnt want to upset the locals..lol. there are small corner bar type places and veterans clubs where ppl go to drink but they're not places you would go out of your way to visit. plus, if you're not from there you wont see a lot of mingling. ppl here tend to keep to their own little groups and cliques. it may be different on campus but I doubt it. F & M is a top school but make sure you're coming here just for the education b/c you won't find much of a life outside of that. I dont mean that in a doom and gloom way it's just the way things are here.

Also, there are 2 bars in town (lanc city) that are 'known' to be gay bars (not openly identified as such tho). one is mostly gay men the other gay women and thats about all I know about that scene. You're more than likely to find like minded and more liberal ppl in the city than anywhere else but even that is hard to find b/c most that are are not open about it. We're not all super religious or conservative but Id say most are.

I have no clue about Getty tho, I know it's a nice place to visit.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,592 times
Omg. I really hope I'm not too late!

The lanc native obviously lives in the outskirts because Lancaster City is smaller but DENSE and vibrant!!! No night life? Yeah right! It is thriving with bars/clubs/concert venues catering to both straight and gay crowds! The Belvedere is a hopping spot for the gay/lesbian community. Do yourself a favor and check out Lancaster city.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 AM

121 posts, read 259,870 times
The OP is asking for college right? If so, you wouldn't have any problem at F&M or Gettysburg I would think. The answers above are dead on if you were looking to settle down and live there, but being in college and around college students 95% of the time, you wouldn't have any problems with the "strict, conservative" lifestyles of the general public over 40 years of age. You'd find more of what you are looking for at F&M though.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Harrisburg is going to be the most open minded but the region is very conservative in general. The best choice is to get as close to Philly as possible.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 37,845 times
Totally agree on Lancaster City...check it out! I am in a same-sex marriage and own a home in Lancaster city...and we haven't faced any issues. We've actually met a LOT of gay people here - mostly guys, interestingly enough.

I get the impression while the "county" of Lancaster is very conservative, the city of Lancaster is just the opposite. F&M is located in the west end (as is where I live), and while I can't speak to the University, the community itself seems pretty open to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania