Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM

353 posts, read 825,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Those are all considered the "Harrisburg Area"
Are you, by chance, the same danwxman from the U.S. Elections Atlas Forum... of Dave Liep fame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
Are you, by chance, the same danwxman from the U.S. Elections Atlas Forum... of Dave Liep fame?
Yes indeed. How are you?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:28 PM

353 posts, read 825,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Yes indeed. How are you?
I'm doing very well. Ha... I think this is, like, the fourth internet forum we have encounter one another on.

How have you been these days?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Guys, in this thread you should try and help the original poster. You can chat using DMs
Yac.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 10,349 times
Hello-

I am interested in moving to PA too.

At this time, I'm not sure where.

I plan to keep my job in Baltimore, but plan to move to a less stressful place. Since I know nothing about this area, I have no idea where to go. Moreover, from just reading the posts on this board, some of the writers make it seem like PA is crime infested.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Please send me a DM.

Thanks!

~baal

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baal View Post
Hello-

I am interested in moving to PA too.

At this time, I'm not sure where.

I plan to keep my job in Baltimore, but plan to move to a less stressful place. Since I know nothing about this area, I have no idea where to go. Moreover, from just reading the posts on this board, some of the writers make it seem like PA is crime infested.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Please send me a DM.

Thanks!

~baal
As a starting point, i'd recommend check out either York, Hanover or Lancaster. All 3 places have baltimore commuter populations.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 19,670 times
Thanks for the input so far.. I'm learning alot of what harrisburg really is through this forum. I'm thinking I like Hershey, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Carlisle which is part of Harrisburg but not in the town of it from what I've been searching. When the time comes that we do move finally out of Brooklyn, we will always have ties to it with family living here and no where else. However, Brooklyn is way too populated for anyone to consider moving here and the houses are way too expensive to buy anything. I just read that the Park Slope Area of Brooklyn, those brownstones are going for anywhere between 1.5 and 1.7 million dollars for each. Now, unless you own a fortune 500 company, I can't see how realistic that is to buy something like that with no property and attached on either side... We will definitely have to rent when the time comes that much I am sure of.. Rents are the same here as I've seen them listed on the net in central PA so I won't have to shell out much more for anything we end up renting which is good. I'll have to purchase another vehicle though because we only own one right now and that won't work in PA as I've already been told. So there are things we have to sort out first before going anywhere. In the meantime we are going to keep our eyes and ears open and when we visit the area keep looking around to get a feel for what is appealing and not appealing as to what is posted here.

So thanks again. I value any information that is posted here as always...

Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
I forgot to mention there are a couple of other nice parts of Harrisburg. Shipoke is a neighborhood right along the river just southwest of downtown. It has revitalized significantly over the last 10 years or so. The big negative is it is in the Susquehanna River floodplain. The other place I didn't mention previously is a small neighborhood just south of Forster Street in the 2nd Street/3rd Street area, within easy walking distance of the State Capitol Complex. That's a very artsy-feeling area. Neither of these areas really make sense for a family IMO, but I did want to mention them; Harrisburg definitely has some crime issues but it also has nice to very nice sections too.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
As a starting point, i'd recommend check out either York, Hanover or Lancaster. All 3 places have baltimore commuter populations.
Thanks for the post. I was kind of skeptical about York. I thought York was a great starting point, but from I read here, some people made it seem like Baltimore.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baal View Post
Thanks for the post. I was kind of skeptical about York. I thought York was a great starting point, but from I read here, some people made it seem like Baltimore.
Well, as long as you stay outside of the city proper you'll be fine.

Hanover is a nice area though (if you wanted to you could most likely leave your house unlocked without much risk, but still not recommended). It's not the most 'Evolved' town/small city in the world (It's getting it's first store with an escalator) but it's got a decent selection of strip mall stores. Anything else you need is 30 min in York or 45 min in Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania