U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

I have a home in Washington County, Pennsylvania that I want to sell. My questions...

What is the sales commission that I will be charged?
Is it a flat rate in Pennsylvania?
Is it a flat rate in Washington County?
Is it all paid by the seller?

Thank you.
RaleighSchwinn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 4,557,953 times
It depends on your realtor and your agreement with him/her.

My experience here in Snyder County is that it runs about 6%, sometimes paid by the seller, sometimes by the buyer and sometimes split between the two. If there are two identical homes for sale and the buyer is paying the entire commission on the one, it'll sell first.

I don't think there's any flat rate anywhere. Do you have a realtor yet? You can also try to sell your home yourself and not pay anyone a commission.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 17,155 times
I am a Realtor and all commissions in the state are negotiable and traditionally paid by the seller. Anything paid by a buyer to his/her agent would above and beyond the commission a seller offers. Depending where you are there are averages. In the lehigh valley the average is between 5-6%. Some realtors will tell you they need more to cover costs of marketing your home. Truth is over 90% of buyers are on the internet. The vast majority of internet advertising is free (to the realtor that is - there are fees associated with the MLS but that...in the LV anyway...is paid in the form of a dues and it would be the same amount if the agent had 120 or 2 listings) so don't let someone talk you into more than you have to pay.

On the other hand though, you want a buyers agent to have incentive to show your home so be aware of what other homes are offering to a buyers agent (you also want your listing agent to have incentive to work for you). For example if you live in a neighborhood where there are 5 homes for sale and they are all offer 2.5% to a buyers agent (and presumably another 2.5 to the listing agent for a total of 5%)...it would be wise to also offer at least 2.5% to buyers agent.

To answer your flat rate question...yes there are compaines that will charge you one flat fee. Is there one in your area, that I don't know. I happen to work for one and the way our program works is if one of the agents in our office sells the property you pay a flat fee. Not every company is designed to do this.

I sounded like a realtor in this reply and I hate that...but I hope it helps you!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,426 times
All negotiable. Many realtors may say that it is a "policy" that they charge 6 or 7%. Don't fall for it. I know it can be frustrating, especially when the same amount of work is being done for a 200,000 home or a 500,000 home. The commission to work load ratio is a joke. Another option is to sell your home on your own. Most homes are sold over the internet. You can get a real estate attorney to draw up the contract, represent you, and make sure that you are not getting hosed. They do this for a set fee (usually around 3000). It takes a little work on your part but can save you thousands.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: