Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 25,960 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Pennsylvania area. My job is in Allentown and wife would be at Upenn. What are some of the best areas to live in? Looking at areas, we feel King of Prussia and Norristown are reasonable commutes to both of us. How are the apt rents around this area for a 2bdrm apt? Our budget is around 1100pm. No children, so school district is not a concern.

Would like to live in a slightly younger crowd. Also nearby to Indian communities.

Last edited by piggy84; 04-21-2015 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,845 times
The King of Prussia/ Norristown area would fit you needs very well. Although this area is a lot closer to Philadelphia than it is to Allentown. An area you may want to look at is Lansdale or Hatfield. This area is pretty much in between both cities and you could use either route 309 or the turnpike route 476 to get to both. There is also a regional rail line from that area to the city.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
If I were you, I would look into Richard256's suggestions. Well, Lansdale anyway. I'm not real keen on Hatfield. Whatever you choose, the commutes are not going to be that great. Although it doesn't look like that far of a distance between the two places, there are many places for massive delays due to construction (Route 476 North of Plymouth Meeting is going to be under construction for literally another couple of years) weather, traffic lights and just volume of traffic. Any chance your wife can work/go to college at Lehigh instead of Penn?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM

I thought the traffic going to Philly might be more (compared to Allentown), so we were looking to stay a little nearer to her office than mine.

There is a chance she might end up taking an offer in West Chester. But for now it is either Philly or West Chester cant be Lehigh Univ

Also what are approximate rentals for a nice 2bdrm in Norristown and Landsdale area?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

You'll have different traffic problems going both ways. Going towards Philly there is the volume of traffic and higher chance of accidents. Coming up my way (the Lehigh Valley/Allentown) you'll have construction, weather and if you take the back roads, general slowness due to traffic lights and one lane each way traffic. West Chester would be equally bad. But a great place to live.

There are some links to rentals in this sticky: http://www.city-data.com/forum/12543173-post2.html One really nice advantage to Lansdale is the ability to take the train into the city and living in a very nice small, vibrant town. It's a one hour train ride, but direct to the city and better than driving.

King of Prussia is not a town - it's a sprawling area with houses and stores and high speed (when they're not clogged with traffic) roads. Norristown is a larger city with good and bad areas. Much more urban than Lansdale.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
When we were in the same boat, we looked around Landsdale. I'd just suggest that you live near a train station so your wife can go right in to Philly. When I worked in Philly, a guy in my office lived in Chalfont and his commute was something like 1.5 hours each way, but he did it every day and I guess housing is relatively cheap there and the schools are good.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 AM

My wife wants to drive as of now (she enjoys driving)... and I would have to drive to Allentown. Also, as of now, she has an offer in Philly (Upenn) and she is expecting one in West Chester. Our idea is Norristown or Collegeville (more on the east of collegeville, harleysville?) is kind off central to Allentown and Philly/West Chester.

Apart from commute, how is Norristown, Collegeville? Is it more of a laid back place? We both are coming from big cities and like a bit of hustle..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 AM

Norristown is fairly urban and gritty IMHO. We lived just outside of it several years ago, but just for a year. Collegeville is a college town where Ursinus College is located. Really nice small town with shops and a great Rail-trail. Both of these places are very different from each other. I'm afraid neither of you will enjoy driving after commuting where you are planning to move. I just re-read your post and your preference for younger people and an Indian community. In that regard, you would be better off close to Philly which (given the choice between Norristown and Collegeville) means Norristown.

Realtors, See This.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Lansdale is the only thing that I'd remotely consider. It's roughly an hour's drive for each of you, but at least your wife would be able to utilize the train to get to work if the traffic started grating on her nerves too much.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy84 View Post
My wife wants to drive as of now (she enjoys driving)... and I would have to drive to Allentown. Also, as of now, she has an offer in Philly (Upenn) and she is expecting one in West Chester. Our idea is Norristown or Collegeville (more on the east of collegeville, harleysville?) is kind off central to Allentown and Philly/West Chester.

Apart from commute, how is Norristown, Collegeville? Is it more of a laid back place? We both are coming from big cities and like a bit of hustle..
Check traffic every day during the times both of you would go to work and come home on Google Maps or waze (regular or mobile sites). This will give you a good idea of traveling to upenn and Allentown from the places people suggested. I was going into philly on 76 from the Lehigh valley on Saturday at 10am and it was about an hour from 476 to the 30th street station exit. Maybe 15 miles. Again, this was a Saturday at 10am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania