U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:42 PM

65 posts, read 144,213 times

Advertisements

Wow!
My wife wonders why the big smile I cannot erase.

You can't imagine how nice that is seeing these sights after all these years.

Yes, I think that white duplex behind your antenna was grandmother's house.
The other houses up the street look new - not as I remember.

I think I even remember that old brick building in first photo which is angled (cut) off due to the north-heading track.

I wish I could take such meaningful photos for you.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Thank you so much, Sherri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 163,032 times
Default More pictures of Lewistown

Here are some of the Victory Park taken from the property that used to be the Visco, on the other side of the Juniata River, off Rt 103. It goes west under the River Bridge, to the driveway behind the old Royal Dairy. Then east under the River Bridge to the railroad tracks coming from Water St,
Attached Thumbnails
Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000947.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000948.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000949.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000953.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000952.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 01:51 PM

Default More Pictures of Lewistown, Victory Park

Here are more of Victory Park. Not sure which I have already added.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000956.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000957.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000958.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000960.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Homes in Lewistown

Here are some homes I was able to take as we buzzed by (my hubby was driving)
Attached Thumbnails
Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000886.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000907.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000917.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000920.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000926.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 02:09 PM

Default More Items in Lewistown

Most of the Churches are on 3rd St. as are some of the homes. The Last picture is one of the Funeral Homes and is next to the Library.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000911.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000912.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000913.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000916.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000919.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Pictures of Lewistown

I have included some of the new highways around the area. They are amazing and look like they have been here forever. I have not included the Veteran's Highway, the newest, my camera started acting up so we will go there later.
1. An old home off 3rd St that was for rent.
2. The center home, large odd shape at the 4 point to Market St, Rt 103, 22/522 east and west, Was used in the old days as an apartment for the women who were employed at the Visco, within walking distance, just across the river bridge on Rt103.
3. Entrance to the bypass from Milroy, showing west bound lanes going toward the Seven Mountains. I was on the overpassing going getting ready to enter the east bound lanes to Lewistown.
4. New Waterfront Restaurant on the other side of the river bridge off Rt103. has patio's to sit and watch the river. Is across the street from in Industrial Buildings, many businesses in there. Also the Career Link is up the road a short distance, make 2 rights and you are in the parking lot. Will get picture of that area later.
Not sure what other picture I put on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000925.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000946.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000934.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000859.jpg   Lewistown, PA  anyone?-im000951.jpg  

Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gift View Post
Wow!
My wife wonders why the big smile I cannot erase.

You can't imagine how nice that is seeing these sights after all these years.

Yes, I think that white duplex behind your antenna was grandmother's house.
The other houses up the street look new - not as I remember.

I think I even remember that old brick building in first photo which is angled (cut) off due to the north-heading track.

I wish I could take such meaningful photos for you.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Thank you so much, Sherri
I didn't think you would see these already. I wish my camera had been working better. I couldn't see the photo to tell if they were even taking right, my batteries were low.
By the way, sherrijean981 is a name my daughter and I used when she had lived with us and we needed something to remember our sites by. Sherri is her name, I am Jeannie Hoover.
Check all the other pictures out, too.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:38 PM

Thank you so much, Jeannie.

Are some of those photos your home and parent's house/shop?

You have made my face have a permanent smile.

How wonderful to see sights I last saw as a little boy exploring the area, probably feeling guilty because I was knowingly (willingly) straying too far from home.

I remember that one church with the jagged spires.
The funeral home also looks familiar. I think we always drove by it when leaving Lewistown heading back to Pittsburgh.

Water street looks abandoned. I recall much hustle and bustle in the 50's

Imagine the excitement of looking out the back window of my father's 1950s-something car and seeing a steam engine coming from the east, and wondering if we could be hit by it if we could not proceed in traffic?

Somewhere along Water Street(?) or slightly east, I discovered a railroad crossing signal which had squarish red lens protruding out from the signal lamps.
I believe I mentioned I turned them on, then returned to the scene of the crime and discovered them still on, and turned them off.
I do not see in the photos where that could have been.

Maybe further west of your wonderful photo (looking west) which shows a siding track on the left of the main track ending before the crossing where you were stanting.

My grandfather, Ross Gift, worked at the Viscos plant. He contracted
emphysema from breathing dust at that plant and died from it while I was still small. 8?

I appreciate all the work you have done in putting your photos here.
If it is easier for you, you are welcome to send them to medstatdenver@aol.com
But then other visitors may not see them.

Thank you,

Robert
Not knowing what better to do, for now I have saved all of your photos in Favorite Places - unless I have exceeded it's capacity.

Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-24-2006 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: learned Jeannie after posting

Old 11-24-2006, 03:02 PM

Tonight I play the bells in the Denver City and County Building Clocktower for their Light the Lights event. They turn on the Denver City Hall Christmas lights for the Holiday Season tonight. I'll send a link when the Denver Post publishes a photo.

if you wish,try this:
http://www.9news.com/life/seasonal/hsg/lightthelights.aspx (broken link)

I'll try to send you our photos if we can figure out how to do it.

I did not become interested in classical music until family moved to Denver.
Otherwise, I would no doubt have wanted to see the organs in those churches.

I don't recall that I ever went to church (presumably Presbyterian) while visiting Lewistown. Then again, maybe I simply don't remember.

After becoming a classical organist, I studied carillon (bells) at the U of Michigan.
Returned to Denver and in 1979 discovered a set of 10 bells in the City Hall clocktower which had not been played since the late 50s.
Now I play them for 10 eveings before Christmas.

The bells total 18,000 lbs. The lowest bell, C-natural, weighs 2-1/2 tons.
My friends were shocked to learn that I play Heavy Metal!

Thank you, Jeannie

Robert

Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM

HI, No none of the photo's are of my families home. I found my battery charger and will go around this coming week and take more for you. I was in the car and couldn't really get angles and things.

Lewistown is one of the little towns who suffered from the BIG "Mart" stores and malls. The downtown is mostly restaurants, Glicks' Shoe Store (remember that one), one working movie theater, and Paul Fagley and company are working on restoring the Embassy. Glick's and a Subway are in the old GC Murphy, Wilson's has a corner jewlrey store on the other side of the street. A bank beside him. The Trolley Car (is actually one of the old trolley cars) is a restaurant. A Church Thrift Shop, there used to be a chinese restaurant but not sure what is in there now. There is a video store and one of the corner banks was empty, don't know if anyone bought it or not. On another corner there had been a Beauty School but it is now a bank/credit place. BonTon takes up a good section of the street, and a small courtyard between them and Capparelles Furniture Store and a couple other businesses beyond them. On the other side, part of the court house is in the old Danks building downstairs and a rehabilitation unit upstairs. There is a South Hills Business School Annex in there somewhere, a jewelry store, a CVS, a gym. Might be other stores but not sure what they are. There is still a bank on the opposite corner of the other bank, other side of Market St. The little candy shop is gone. There had been a second hand shop in there but she closed and ended up having it condemned because she took cats in and wasn't able to take care of them. They closed it off, arrested her and found over 50 cats. It was supposed to have stunk to high heaven and the people who had businesses around her didn't like that, so they had reported her for it. there is also an Original Italian Pizza Restaurant there. And Kirk Stevens has an auctioneer center where McCrory's used to be. I don't know what is on the corner, that one seems to change a lot. So that was the 2 blocks of Market St on the east. The west has the old court house, now the Historical Society. You might be able to get a lot of info from their site. Check under Mifflin County or even their name. Under GenWeb they are found because I used to work on our family info. The old Montgomery Wards building now houses Doctors in the mental health field, and I'm not sure what all is on the bottom floor. At one time there was even a beauty shop in there. On up the street is a artist shop, a flower shop, appliance store and I am not sure what is in the end shop where I remember Super Shoes. I used to love going there, could get a pair of loafers for $.99. Can't do that now, not even 2nd hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania