Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 AM

65 posts, read 226,479 times

Advertisements

Joined 11-10-2006
Love to read from anyone in Lewistown.

As a child, 1955 to 1965, we visited my father's parents, Ross Gift, in their narrow two-story townhouse on Pennybaker Avenue.

I recall the evening curfew horn which was also the fire call for volunteer firefighters.
It used to scare me.
Anyone know anything about it?
Does it still operate?

Also, do any trains still run down the middle of the street?
North end of town I used to watch one cross near Pennybaker Ave, under the overpass, and cross a long trestle over the river heading north. My sister and I crossed that trestle being frightened looking down at the river through the ties.

I used to roam the area picking up soft drink bottles to return for 2 cents each!

Thank you,

Robert Gift

Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-10-2006 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: recalled Grandfather's name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM

203 posts, read 1,252,075 times
Lewistown is a lovely place.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 AM

393 posts, read 1,523,656 times
Lewistown has a huge heroin problem now. It's a darn shame.

I was only there a few times in the early '80s when my band had a few gigs there and I remember it being a nice town with friendly locals.

I used to roam the area picking up soft drink bottles to return for 2 cents each!

I also remember collecting them for the 2 cents. Now, my eye glasses are made from them.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Lewistown always did have its party crowd. I did not think it was out of control... it does seem folks from there are very controlling.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
Lewistown has a huge heroin problem now. It's a darn shame.
LEWISTOWN, PA???!
I am shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I was only there a few times in the early '80s when my band had a few gigs there and I remember it being a nice town with friendly locals.

I also remember collecting them for the 2 cents. Now, my eye glasses are made from them.
What?, the deposit hasn't been raised in all these years?

Does anyone know if they still use their curfew horn for either curfew or for calls?
Though I can't imagine their still having a curfew in this day and age.

(But a small town in Mexico sounded their siren every morning at 7 a.m.
What a shocking wake up call! It was near our hotel window. I loved it.)

Does a train still travel down the middle of the street and head north?

In the 50's I remember my father driving down that street and a huge (to me) steam locomotive coming up behind us! So exciting for a little boy.

It was on the local track coming from the east of downtown, which now crosses (crossed?) the 322 overpass. (I am surprised they have a grade crossing on the 322. Is it not a limited-access highway?)

Thank you,

Robert

Last edited by Robert Gift; 11-12-2006 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-12-2006, 10:25 AM

393 posts, read 1,523,656 times
Quote:
=Robert Gift;162408]LEWISTOWN, PA???!
I am shocked.
Sad but true.

http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs0/670/heroin.htm

Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,251 times
I think it's sad but you can say that a lot of towns in this area are becoming over run with drugs and crime. Mifflinburg that someone was talking about had a guy who moved here to harrisburg. he tried to run for borough president in a local town, middletown. his platform was to lay off 50% of the police department. he lost obviously. but next he was a suspect in 1 bank robbery, then was finally caught robbing another one. then he escaped from county prison and robbed a 2nd bank and then bout tons of heroin and went back to mifflinburg and party. the police just went to his house, found him and arrested him. our local rag newspaper The Patriot-News had a field day over it. We have had about 10 teenagers overdose and havbe about 75 - 100 people in rehab. these are people from 'nice' neighborhoods who's parents are judges, teachers, local officials, bank presidents... it is very sad. The biggest problem is that most kids have no idea that once you do the hard stuff once your automatically hooked.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 PM

I dont think Lewistown is a drug mecca. I will say anyone I knew from there was very manipulative. Lets face it drugs are everywhere.

One town actually does background checks on people when they 1st buy a home in their town.

My impression of lewsitown is a good one. I would live there.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM

Yes, drugs are spreading to many places.
Next will be graffitti.

But I would never expect charming Lewistown.

So, do any trains still run down the middle of the street?

Has anyone heard the diaphone curfew horn?
Now that is controlling - telling us when to get off the streets.

Thank you,

Robert

Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,070,626 times
I had an Aunt and Uncle that owned quite a bit of mountainess land there. I loved visiting them. My father told me of a train robbery there in the forties or earlier where the money ended up in the river never to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania