Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times

Advertisements

My wife, our 8 month old daughter, and myself just moved to PA to be closer to family. We are currently living just east of Reading and are looking for information on the surrounding areas.

I just got a job near Wyomissing and my wife got a job near Kutztown. We are hopefully looking for an area that splits the difference. We are looking at house between $150k and 200k and want over a 1/2 acre (the more the merrier). The Oley area seems to be a choice that keep popping up.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:45 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,887,601 times
If you want to be in the exact geographical midpoint between Kutztown and Reading, you should look in the area bordered by Berkley in the west, Pricetown in the east, Blandon in the north, and Alsace Manor in the south.

A suggestion: do NOT move to Reading.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM

429 posts, read 715,888 times
The mid-point would have you both taking Route 222 to work. That stretch of roadway is due to have a major upgrade in the next couple years... My advice: rather than splitting the distance, one of you should get to be primary caregiver if your child gets sick and gets to have the shorter commute. Rather than both of you having a half-hour commute from work to home, someone gets the lucky straw and gets a 10-minute commute, but also has to pick up the baby from daycare or whatever, in emergencies.

During non-rush hour times we are not talking about long commutes. (BTW, I think Kutztown is awesome).

Old 07-21-2015, 10:13 PM

24,364 posts, read 22,950,229 times
Oley Pa is the garden spot of Pa. About the only negative would be the school is too small for a football program. That's trivial. Kutztown and Wyomissing are both short commutes so you seem to have it nailed. You should be able to afford an older modest home with a big yard for that price.
You could look in Exeter which has excellent grade schools, shopping and is closer to Wyomissing. Wyomissing has one of the best school systems in the state. so consider that. Exeter goes from very suburban to very rural on its edges. You'll find many choices in that price range.
Just a reminder, Reading crime drops dramatically at the city's edge so don't be scared off if you find something not that far away from the city.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
There are a number of smaller communities slightly to the south of Route 222, such as Lyons, Blandon, and Fleetwood, which are worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania