Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:29 PM

42 posts, read 187,357 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to the Lebanon, PA area. My husband will be working in Lebanon, but we could live anywhere within 20-30 min. of there. We have 3 kids, and are interested in a family-friendly area, (not too rural) with good schools. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
Stay away from Leb. City. It is quite depressing and has crime. There are lots of nice little towns around there,such as Annville, Elizabethtown, Lititz,and Ephrata.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 AM

42 posts, read 187,357 times
Thanks, that helps. I was looking online at some newer developments in Annville. Do you know anything about the schools? From what I've found, they seem decent.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
They are ok. I went to college with people from around there and they never had a problem with grades or whatnot in school.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:45 PM

222 posts, read 1,410,716 times
there is a beautiful town called hershey about 20 minutes west of lebanon. it is very espensive, however it's suburbs of anville and palmyra are cheaper and are close to shopping and stores. the schools are all pretty good, the city of lebanon proper is out of control. there are gangs there from new york and every few months there is a homicide. sounds funny, but they advertised in the nyc area in the 1980's to have people move down there and fill up all the vacated houses. bad idea. the rest of the area is rural and laidback. lots of fams and such. fredricksburg, jonestown and frystown are all pretty nice, but if you live there you better be prepared to travel. most of the jobs are either in the city or between lebanon and hershey along rts 322 and 422. Swatara state park is nice to check out, as is memorial lake. cornwall is cool and so is ephrata cloister.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 19,574 times
Openless is on target. I was born and raised in Lebanon and it was a very lovely quaint place in the 50s and 60s. It is very sad to see what has happened to the city which is now riddled with crime. Had the county had leadership with vision they could have saved downtown but it was allowed to simply deteriorate. I would never return to Lebanon per se, but there are other areas which have retained their beauty. Hershey is one but taxes are high. Annville is also nice. On the other side of Lebanon, lies Myerstown which is a quaint PA Dutch village. Lancaster is also nice but becoming overly developed...what isn't?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
MLG

25 posts, read 93,264 times
Cornwall is a nice little town where I grew up. I agree with everyone else that is saying that Lebanon city has been going downhill. There is too much crime there now, and I dont even like returning to the city. But Cornwall is a nice area outside out the city. Hershey, Annville, and Palmyra are nice as well.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
Another reason to stay out of Lebanon City...TAXES! I am also looking for a property in either Lebanon or Berks County. In my search, I noticed the school taxes for Lebanon School District are VERY HIGH in comparison to neighboring school districts. They are going up another 5%!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,859 times
lebanon city isnt very pleasent. but the lebanon suburbs are great. i live there and its the perfect small town community for growing up. its very orginal.

hope i helped!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,567 times
I myself live in Lebanon. I live in the area which is surrounded by the "Ghetto". Yes there is crime in the city if you are looking at it compared to the surrounding towns but Compared to other cities of this size Lebanon is extremely safe. There are "gangs" but they really have no criminal activities and usually breakup and become nothing. If you afraid of walking down the street and getting caught in a drive by between bloods and crips you are afraid of nothing. There are no real gangs in Lebanon.

A lot of ex-gang members come to Lebanon to lead a life without crime. They look threating but that is just history. I live in Lebanon and walk to places all the time and feel safe. The media makes Lebanon look bad. You will read about how the city is out of money but you will never see the community garden we opened in the city or anything else positive. Currently the city is undergoing major construction. Don't let it scare you. I go to the high school here and think it is fine. For awhile the school had lost some funding. This resulted in the grades at the schools to drop. The scores at our schools are getting better and better. We have the best music program in the state. We also have many brilliant students.

Another reason to pick Lebanon is that other schools in the area have drug and abuse problems. Schools such as Cedar Crest have major drug problems. At our school since it is as large as it is they bring in drug dogs to check the building and the never have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania