Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times

Advertisements

I am actually looking to build a tiny house but i am having a very difficult time finding land that i can lease or that i can build on without a hassle. My boyfriend and i are currently homeless but i have a job working at the Home Depot. I just cant afford to live on grid anymore. building and living in a tiny house away from the city and out in nature has always been a dream of mine, If u can help me, it will be very very much appreciated.

thank you and selah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.miawilson123 View Post
I am actually looking to build a tiny house but i am having a very difficult time finding land that i can lease or that i can build on without a hassle. My boyfriend and i are currently homeless but i have a job working at the Home Depot. I just cant afford to live on grid anymore. building and living in a tiny house away from the city and out in nature has always been a dream of mine, If u can help me, it will be very very much appreciated.

thank you and selah
Chances are if you're homeless, you are living off of someone else's grid. That said, initial investment to set up an off-grid lifestyle is more than you think. There are permit fees for setting up wind turbines, the cost of the land and materials to build, the cost of solar panels. If you are thinking of doing this in Pennsylvania, you will need heat for at least six months of the year, maybe more. You'll want to have some sort of generator or battery bank to store power.

And don't forget state and local regulations for water usage. Links follow for a whole lot of information to get an idea of what's involved.

Just a quick story: Here in Pa., some Amish moved in locally and were required to spend thousands to put in a complete septic system even though they don't use it. They burn their waste in a stove on the porch.

How To Find Land For Living Off The Grid

Reality Check / East Brady couple is living off the grid on Sportsman Channel | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

living off the grid in Central PA...is this possible?

MODULAR HOME BUILDER: PA TO TAX HOMEOWNERS LIVING "OFF THE GRID"

Also, there's these:

www.off-grid.net

www.off-grid-living.com

www.offgridsurvival.com

Old 09-12-2015, 05:24 PM

54 posts, read 81,668 times
Might have been a good idea to put Tiny House in your thread title, might get more responses from people who know what an actual tiny house is.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 PM

54 posts, read 81,668 times
I myself couldn't imagine living in such a small space but I'm sure it beats being homeless.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
Might have been a good idea to put Tiny House in your thread title, might get more responses from people who know what an actual tiny house is.
Good idea, I changed the thread title for the OP.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
The biggest expense you cannot avoid is the sewage no matter where you put your tiny house. Without an existing and functioning septic system... $$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
septic, driveway, well ( or some souce of water) and building permit are all unavoidable but one-time expenses.

on-going: taxes every year-usually real estate taxes and school taxes. May be others depending on locality.

If you're in PA you will need heat of some kind, every year. Probably at least 4 months, maybe 6 again depending on where you live. The southern part of the state is usually a bit warmer.

The house itself will not be the major expense.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Instead of building a house you might look at hunting camps for sale in the northern tier of Counties.

The problem there is work. How will you support yourself?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:23 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I just read locally of two homeless people who were living in a storage facility. Unfortunately, they became the targets of some men who shot them and a bystander for unknown reasons.
Those Tiny Houses are worth looking into but there are some pitfalls. One, the builders seem to tout their low cost and efficiency and environmental benefits but still manage to charge VERY high prices for them. And some don't have actual running water, you're looking at composting toilets and toting water. Ordinary travel trailers might be far more cost effective. I know of many trailer parks that offer low housing prices or rents. And some of those are out in the country or the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania