Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 AM

50 posts, read 46,578 times

Advertisements

Not to strike some reality into this good news but there are serious questions many might want to ask...

One, how can the redeveloped Independence Hill / Federal Hill be a good thing when you have stores and businesses buy and selling illegal equipment for a substance that is illegal, to begin with within the city proper? If that substance is illegal to begin with should we ban those glass pipes we see stores and businesses selling up and down State Street and at the section of town to curb that illegal substance? Currently, the Commonwealth of PA considers that substance illegal and you sale that type of equipment.

Two, Forever ago I remember when NYC cleaned up the streets and town with kicking out sex shops and stores to make room for businesses that want to thrive and give a good image of the city. I would love to see the two sex shops kicked out of the city proper or closed down because who would want to put a business next to a sex shop and sex store that sales poppers and possibly have illegal activity happening in the back rooms? Who would want to live in a downtown where those types of stores are ok? Just a thought. I know it is not the 1950's but come on now. Let's get real here.

Three, I know the business owners of the new Speakeasy. I know exactly what they are trying to do. I think they are doing it for political reasons. I am not trying to be a party pooper but it seems that when you have individuals who know nothing about an industry and who ran for public office (plus lost). I smell something and I also smell the look and image which is good. I know people are raving about it but watch who comes and goes. What deals happen there and they want to keep it a "secret" place. I hope and wish them the best of luck!

Four, Before we put the cart before the horse. Let's seriously have more to add to the list because yes it might look very pleasing but the list doesn't have any companies or industries building factories to hire our citizens. When are we going to wake up with all the empty warehouses, empty lots and empty promises? When are we going to wake up to understand we have plenty of room for industries, factories to be open and such or is that a thing of the past? How many companies left Erie and how many are expanding within Erie proper for our tax base to be greater? I know as much as any but we need to be patient and hope by 2020 HUGE AND EPIC things will occur.

Five, Has anyone stepped up to build or open on Erie's Bayfront Place beside Upick? NO ONE! Has anyone built on Union Square yet? There are still so many empty spots Downtown like the BOSTON STORE and MASONIC TEMPLE? Has anyone seen any businesses or word of anyone opening up businesses in those empty storefront? The one storefront from the Mercantile Building still has not been filled. So are you sure good things are happening in Downtown Erie? I have been Downtown lately and I hope for the best!

Last edited by IHeartErie; 01-06-2018 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:36 AM

486 posts, read 601,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartErie View Post
Not to strike some reality into this good news but there are serious questions many might want to ask...

One, how can the redeveloped Independence Hill / Federal Hill be a good thing when you have stores and businesses buy and selling illegal equipment for a substance that is illegal, to begin with within the city proper? If that substance is illegal to begin with should we ban those glass pipes we see stores and businesses selling up and down State Street and at the section of town to curb that illegal substance? Currently, the Commonwealth of PA considers that substance illegal and you sale that type of equipment.

Two, Forever ago I remember when NYC cleaned up the streets and town with kicking out sex shops and stores to make room for businesses that want to thrive and give a good image of the city. I would love to see the two sex shops kicked out of the city proper or closed down because who would want to put a business next to a sex shop and sex store that sales poppers and possibly have illegal activity happening in the back rooms? Who would want to live in a downtown where those types of stores are ok? Just a thought. I know it is not the 1950's but come on now. Let's get real here.

Three, I know the business owners of the new Speakeasy. I know exactly what they are trying to do. I think they are doing it for political reasons. I am not trying to be a party pooper but it seems that when you have individuals who know nothing about an industry and who ran for public office (plus lost). I smell something and I also smell the look and image which is good. I know people are raving about it but watch who comes and goes. What deals happen there and they want to keep it a "secret" place. I hope and wish them the best of luck!

Four, Before we put the cart before the horse. Let's seriously have more to add to the list because yes it might look very pleasing but the list doesn't have any companies or industries building factories to hire our citizens. When are we going to wake up with all the empty warehouses, empty lots and empty promises? When are we going to wake up to understand we have plenty of room for industries, factories to be open and such or is that a thing of the past? How many companies left Erie and how many are expanding within Erie proper for our tax base to be greater? I know as much as any but we need to be patient and hope by 2020 HUGE AND EPIC things will occur.

Five, Has anyone stepped up to build or open on Erie's Bayfront Place beside Upick? NO ONE! Has anyone built on Union Square yet? There are still so many empty spots Downtown like the BOSTON STORE and MASONIC TEMPLE? Has anyone seen any businesses or word of anyone opening up businesses in those empty storefront? The one storefront from the Mercantile Building still has not been filled. So are you sure good things are happening in Downtown Erie? I have been Downtown lately and I hope for the best!
I'll address your points in the order that you listed them:

1. I'm not exactly sure what "illegal substances" you are referring to that are sold on Independence Hill. Hippie and the Hound sells vape juice and equipment, which is much better than cigarettes and Interglasstic sells glass pipes, and other smoking equipment, which is not illegal. The city is currently decriminalizing pot and the equipment sold at these type of shops can be used for a lot of different substances. Plus, that's only one shop out of several others that sell clothes, antiques, ice cream, souvenirs, etc.

2. While you can argue about whether you want sex shops on State St or not, the fact of the matter is, they have done well, they pay property taxes and they aren't causing a nuisance in the neighborhood. Not once have I driven past one of those shops and seen something offensive in their windows. As well, Calamari's and the Plymouth are right next to both of the sex shops downtown and are both thriving bars/restaurants.

3. I, as well, know the owner of the Room 33 Speakeasy as I used to work with her, and I'm not sure the point you are getting at. Yes, she ran for office and lost but I think they decided to open a business downtown because they genuinely care about the city, not for political reason or ulterior motives.

4. Manufacturing is NOT coming back to Erie. It's leaving the Rust Belt all together. We can take those factories and redelop them for other uses, but I don't think some big manufacturer is gonna come and set up shop here...

5. I'm not sure about the status of Bayfront Place and Rick Griffith purchased most of the vacant lots around Union Sq. Honestly, downtown is on the upswing and it's not hard to see. You can cherry-pick the bad things about it and paint it in a negative light all you want, but there's more good happening now than there ever was.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I'll address your points in the order that you listed them:

1. I'm not exactly sure what "illegal substances" you are referring to that are sold on Independence Hill. Hippie and the Hound sells vape juice and equipment, which is much better than cigarettes and Interglasstic sells glass pipes, and other smoking equipment, which is not illegal. The city is currently decriminalizing pot and the equipment sold at these type of shops can be used for a lot of different substances. Plus, that's only one shop out of several others that sell clothes, antiques, ice cream, souvenirs, etc.

2. While you can argue about whether you want sex shops on State St or not, the fact of the matter is, they have done well, they pay property taxes and they aren't causing a nuisance in the neighborhood. Not once have I driven past one of those shops and seen something offensive in their windows. As well, Calamari's and the Plymouth are right next to both of the sex shops downtown and are both thriving bars/restaurants.

3. I, as well, know the owner of the Room 33 Speakeasy as I used to work with her, and I'm not sure the point you are getting at. Yes, she ran for office and lost but I think they decided to open a business downtown because they genuinely care about the city, not for political reason or ulterior motives.

4. Manufacturing is NOT coming back to Erie. It's leaving the Rust Belt all together. We can take those factories and redelop them for other uses, but I don't think some big manufacturer is gonna come and set up shop here...

5. I'm not sure about the status of Bayfront Place and Rick Griffith purchased most of the vacant lots around Union Sq. Honestly, downtown is on the upswing and it's not hard to see. You can cherry-pick the bad things about it and paint it in a negative light all you want, but there's more good happening now than there ever was.
(1) In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania cannabis is illegal period. Only medical cannabis is legal. Those glass pipes 99% use is for cannabis. Vaping is just becoming mainstream and I do think vaping could lead to purchasing illegal narcotics to smoke in those vapes. Another exciting tool for smokers to scream awesome too but in doubt smoking causes cancer. Decriminalizing an illegal substance is going to give the public an excuse to say "Its ok to carry around cannabis but not that much" So it is ok to break the law and get away with it. If you ban the sale of those glass pipes and other facts that could help the health and well being of the citizens would be brilliant.

(2) Can you at least picture a State Street cleaned up for businesses and to create that Downtown we all vision? Are you sure the sale of poppers which has begun a conversation to dictate whether it is illegal or legal? Possibly the Erie Book Store could come back in one of its location. Maybe we can turn one of them into a "VisitErie" store where we can get everything that deals with Erie. Where tourist can go to get things to take back home. The sex industry is a billion dollar industry which is fine. There are places where those types of businesses should be. The Modern Adult Book Store is one block away from Mother Teresa Academy and the other sex store is in front of that charter school in Lovell Place.

(3) The image and presentation of it look all good and very well. That is not the point I am trying to make. I know taking risk is one thing but something is not right about it. I know its all good and great but I don't know if it is my sixth sense kicking in but it sure did. I am trying to pinpoint it.

(4) Not trying to sound like Trump mentality about "America First" or "Make America Great Again" but please understand that valid point of all the land within the proper that is not being taxed. Seriously sit back and think about that. Please take a moment to drive along East Lake Road, East 10th, Pittsburgh Ave, Greengarden, West, and East 12th street to see the value land a business could set up shop to be on the tax role. It doesn't matter what business it is but at least it will employ our citizens with a "Made In Erie" stamp. At one time Erie was known as the plastic capital of the world and now we see the health risk with plastic.

(5) The Union Square Project had a "Feild of Dreams" attitude. Build it and they will come. Its called a good dose of reality because there has to be a balance with it. I know I may not be cherry picking but we need to seriously do a mission altogether. We need to actually fulfill our goals before we dig. We can not afford to be a "mistake" on the lake.

I know it might seem I could be a negative nancy, henry hating, and debbie downer but our hometown is severally slow in catching up to the world. When you go to Buffalo, you say Canal Streets, When you go to Cleveland, you say The Flats, When you go to Pittsburgh, you say South Side Works. Those notable names and areas of those cities have been around for a couple of decades. It's ain't about the size of the city but Allentown beat Erie with a waterside area of the city for commerce, tourism, and residency. Allentown has beat us in population, growth, and thinking. Why are we slow like molasses to get anything done? That is the brain drain and if we had taxes we can afford nice things like Allentown has.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Please don't compare Erie to Allentown. I might throw up. Allentown has no nice things. They had historic downtown blocks that were demolished for urban renewal by eminent domain. They have population growth from an influx of poor Latino immigrants, like Reading. Bethlehem is the superior urban center in that area, not Allentown.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM

I don't really think you can compare Erie and Allentown.

Allentown is part of a multi-city metro and is within an easy commuting distance to large urban areas (NYC and Philly).

Erie is the only true city in it's metro and the closest larger cities are two hours away.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
IHeartErie

I won't address all of your points, but I do want to discuss a few, because you seem to be portraying Erie as an outlier that is the only city with smoke shops, adult stores, and head shops. Whether you like it or not, marijuana is a growth industry that is acceptable by a majority of Pennsylvanians and citizens of this country. You are correct that currently Pennsylvania only has legal medical marijuana, but I wouldn't be surprised if recreational is approved in the near future. With that being said, there are many people who use glass pipes and hookah is increasingly popular in Erie with the recent influx of immigrants. In other words, more people use these pipes and smoke shops for tobacco than you would think.

Secondly, the adult store issue you are mentioning is not unique to Erie and even cities like Pittsburgh have adult stores right downtown in prime areas. You really can't stop these stores and they have just as much right as other businesses to open and operate in various areas. The only possible solution here would be intense gentrification that potentially makes the business not viable in the given area.

Finally, large scale manufacturing jobs are gone from Erie for the foreseeable future and I don't see them coming back anytime soon. Hopefully the small and medium size manufacturing companies can continue to operate in Erie and there is definitely a place for these companies. An affordable technical/community college would help supply these companies with skilled workers and could spur future growth. The recent development in Erie has been exciting and I am looking forward to the completion of some of these major projects. There is a balance between a city being a livable place and companies wanting to relocate to an area or add jobs. Erie definitely needs to continue to improve infrastructure and add amenities downtown and on the bayfront to make the area more livable. Currently, there is too much fragmented development in the Erie area and Peach Street/Summit Township is becoming a miserable place to shop/dine as traffic becomes worse. The infrastructure of this area is not designed to handle the current amount of traffic and I avoid Peach Street whenever possible.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
IHeartErie

I won't address all of your points, but I do want to discuss a few, because you seem to be portraying Erie as an outlier that is the only city with smoke shops, adult stores, and head shops. Whether you like it or not, marijuana is a growth industry that is acceptable by a majority of Pennsylvanians and citizens of this country. You are correct that currently Pennsylvania only has legal medical marijuana, but I wouldn't be surprised if recreational is approved in the near future. With that being said, there are many people who use glass pipes and hookah is increasingly popular in Erie with the recent influx of immigrants. In other words, more people use these pipes and smoke shops for tobacco than you would think.

Secondly, the adult store issue you are mentioning is not unique to Erie and even cities like Pittsburgh have adult stores right downtown in prime areas. You really can't stop these stores and they have just as much right as other businesses to open and operate in various areas. The only possible solution here would be intense gentrification that potentially makes the business not viable in the given area.

Finally, large scale manufacturing jobs are gone from Erie for the foreseeable future and I don't see them coming back anytime soon. Hopefully the small and medium size manufacturing companies can continue to operate in Erie and there is definitely a place for these companies. An affordable technical/community college would help supply these companies with skilled workers and could spur future growth. The recent development in Erie has been exciting and I am looking forward to the completion of some of these major projects. There is a balance between a city being a livable place and companies wanting to relocate to an area or add jobs. Erie definitely needs to continue to improve infrastructure and add amenities downtown and on the bayfront to make the area more livable. Currently, there is too much fragmented development in the Erie area and Peach Street/Summit Township is becoming a miserable place to shop/dine as traffic becomes worse. The infrastructure of this area is not designed to handle the current amount of traffic and I avoid Peach Street whenever possible.

trackstar13, I can't give you anymore reputation points, but I agree 100%, especially on the Upper Peach Street point. The development up there needs to stop, or at least needs to be developed smarter. The sprawl needs to stop and we need to work on infill.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 AM

Do a little more research into why I am comparing Erie to Allentown. Because it deals with numbers and funding at the federal and state level plus the priority order.

My truth to power will be correct when I tell you that if Erie population goes under 100,000 in the 2020 census you can kiss many of the funding, grants and tax dollars away from Erie period! That will go to Allentown because they have more residents. Understanding the fact I have been doing more research on this subject for a decade or so.

Even our status as a "third class city" could be in jeopardy.

"With that being said, there are many people who use glass pipes and hookah is increasingly popular in Erie with the recent influx of immigrants. In other words, more people use these pipes and smoke shops for tobacco than you would think" trackstar 13

Let's consider this right now. We have an opioid crisis correct? We have a substance problem correct? I think it is foolish to allow types of equipment like these to be for sale or for recreational use. So we should be banning all types of equipment and industries so we can save lives. If Denver is still suffering from an opioid problem and still they have legalized it because the government is fighting a battle that is hard for those who go to rehab, to recover, to detox and to take care of their mental health. Because of any substance, we have addicts that need help. So telling our children that if you go to school, graduate, serve your community or your nation, go to college, give back to the community and to allow the American dream to come true with smoking cannabis is ok? Isn't a clean and sober society we want where we don't have to worry about problems? overdoses? deaths and acts of violence? You do realize that where there is cannabis there are guns. Keeping out youth on a clean and sober track is what we want by allowing cannabis to be legalized is telling our youth it is ok to smoke and to drink. When you have your scale, your product, and your house. Please have a gun there to protect yourselves. Our youth doesn't need to be in any situation where their guardians rely on doing illegal activities to get by. we lock up our guns, booze and now weed. Its all about being responsible and accountable. As you can see clearly from across the nations and right smack in Erie. Majority arent! Oh, wait you have to purchase a gun where? where do most purchase guns now? So you see the pattern here? Its all about throwing a rock into a pond. It makes ripples. We are having so many problems with DUI's and excessive drinking. So cannabis is a herb that is grown from the ground. So it plenty of other chemicals that are grown from the ground to make narcotics or controlled substances from big pharma. So all you are doing is protecting your right to get high hiding behind the words "recreational use" So are you going to tell me the making wine, beer and alcohol should be ban because we use water from the ground? There are so many problems. Just a food for thought? There are many excuses and many ways many can twist, can vision and can say for their own ideas and ways. If it is ILLEGAL then it is ILLEGAL.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Renovations have started to turn the Rothrock Building at 121 W. 10th Street into the new headquarters for technology company, Velocity Network. According to the news article, it will be a $7 million transformation and is expected to be finished in November.

Renovations Begin to Turn Vacant Building into Corporate Headqua - Erie News Now | WICU & WSEE in Erie, PA

Last edited by jFug; 01-17-2018 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-17-2018, 02:54 PM

I find the fact that you get "reputation points" is "like" on Facebook. So impersonal and wrong on all levels. Debating, discussing and having a constructive conversation is key but giving points and making people feel entitled and better is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania