Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Hi, use to live down in the Valley Forge area year's ago when I was a young one. Fast forward 15 year's want to explore PA.

Fiancé and I are working towards are nursing degree should be done within a year or so. We feel PA would be a place interested to live. Close to family, mix of outdoors, history, and interesting architecture.

Want to get a taste of it and explore it.

Thinking of going to the Poconos in the winter.

However, have never gone further West than Hershey, PA, farthest South down to the Philly/Kensington Square area, and farthest North was just the Pike into Valley Forge.

Have a few friend's that live and have come from Pittsburgh they swear by it they love it. Definitely like to check the Burgh out.

However, looking for anywhere to visit.

We love trains so looking forward to seeing Scranton. Also love Houdini so want to check out the museum. I love to run so may run one of the marathons in PA. Either in the Burgh, Scranton or Redding.

We're looking forward to camping any places to camp let me know. Definitely want to do a trip down there during the summer to camp.

We're looking forward to checking out one of the caves, Plymouth furniture, Lancaster County, and Philly as well.

Hoping to make a trip next year to one of the many haunted attractions.

Any feedback on places to see visit in PA be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 06:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I can see why you would enjoy vacationing in Pennsylvania and it looks like you have a great list of places for vacation trips, but if you are looking for a place to live, knowing the following criteria would get you better answers than ones you'd find on TripAdvisor.

Reading the city forums on this site should also give you an idea of what the different areas are like.

PLEASE BOLD FONT YOUR PRIORITIES

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:01 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
When are you moving? Within 24-36 month's (So have time to explore)
Where are you coming from? Connecticut (Waterbury)
Why are you moving? Lower taxes, lower cost of living, adventure, good place to raise a family
Where will you be working? Healthcare fiancé is close to finishing nursing school. Myself hopefully be a nurse, currently work as a counselor in the psych field. Have friends who are social worker's/nurse's in psych say Pennsylvania is a great state to work in Psych. I know they have good private and state psych unit's. Also know Burgh has a correction psych unit

Have you been here yet? Lived in Phoenixville area Country Lane in PA. Been to Philly a few time's and Lancaster County. Also down to the Kennett Square area, but that was just to go to Longwood Garden's/cross that way into Maryland.

Will you buy or rent? Rent first while looking for an area that would be close to work and area like. Like to be 4 to 5 hour's away from CT.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? $200,000 Max
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Doesn't matter How much can you spend? $1,000, but could stretch to $1,200
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?Prefer walk up

Are you married or single? Soon to be married
Do you have children? Hope to have 1 within 3 year's
Do you prefer public or private schools? Depends on how the public school's are
Do you have pets? Yes a cat
Do you want or need a yard? Like a yard be great not a necessity
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Both

What do you want to be closest to?Work,Shopping

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Doesn't really matter area where can avoid people dealing drug's be preferable

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? Mets

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-02-2015 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: bold fonted answers to help readers.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM

108 posts, read 254,914 times
I have been to the Houdini Museum in Scranton. It was a little tricky to visit so I'll give you some tips. First, they only do one show a day so get there at 1:00 p.m. The web site says "Begins 1:00 PM, Close 4:30 PM.". This does not mean that the museum opens and closes at those hours. That is when the only show begins and when it ends.

Parking is also a little tricky. The parking lot is behind the museum and you may find yourself parked in and unable to get out until after the show. On Main Street turn left onto Clearview Street (after passing the museum on your left) and turn left again onto N Decker Ct which is basically an alley that takes you behind the museum.

The Houdini Museum is also far from downtown Scranton with no obvious way to get there. Here are my directions:

Head northwest on Lackawanna Avenue toward Penn Avenue (one way street, can't turn right here)
Turn right toward Mifflin Avenue
Continue onto Mifflin Avenue at Penn Furniture
Go pass the St Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church
Turn left onto US-11 N/N Scranton Expy (signs for North Scranton Expressway) 6 lane bridge
Take the Main Avenue exit
Turn right onto North Main Avenue

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I think you should check out the Lehigh Valley. Health Care is the largest business in the area, cost of living is lower than Philadelphia but it's close enough for a drive down there or over to NYC. Bethlehem, and now Allentown, have venues for bands and there are concerts, and events going on year long. We also have the farm teams for the Flyers and the Phillies in brand new venues. People are friendly and there's a great mix of old tradition and new people. I've lived in a few counties in PA and I love Lehigh county the best.

Our schools are also good and there are several colleges in the area too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Default Camping

The state parks are reliable and the price is reasonable. Be sure to make a reservation.

PA*DCNR*-*Where

I'm not sure why Nockamixon State Park near Quakertown isn't on that map. They have camping.
I've stayed at Ricketts Glen, Hickory Run and French Creek. They're all nice parks.

If you don't mind being off on your own, you can camp in PA state forests for free. Free is a great price.

PA*DCNR*-*Camping

I've only stayed in a private campground up there once, so I can't help you with that.

Pennsylvania Campground Owners Association - PA Campgrounds, Camping Resorts & RV Parks

Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 PM

37 posts, read 41,901 times
Have you ever been to Chambersburg, PA? We have lived here since 1970 and raised two children here. The nursing field is wide open in this area. Great family area...west of town are the Laurich communities and east of town is Guilford Hill's and Penn National. Realistically speaking a 200k budget for housing isn't going to get you much, even in this area. Rent for 1k monthly would get you a nicer residence. For cultural events, we have many, on a small scale so the speak. Chambersburg is an easy drive to Washington, DC and Baltimore for more cultural events. DC metrorail is only 45 minutes to the substation. All the best to you.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 AM

486 posts, read 601,274 times
If you're going into the nursing field I would suggest you check out Erie, PA. We have several large medical facilities in the area: UPMC Hamot, St. Vincent Hospital (which is affiliated with Allegheny Health Network), Millcreek Community Hospital and LECOM. And all of these medical institutions are expanding at a rapid pace.

Erie not only has inexpensive housing and a low cost of living, but there are some really beautiful neighborhoods here. I encourage you to check out the west bayfront, Glenwood Hills, the upper East side, and the neighborhood around Frontier Park.

Erie has many outdoor activities: Presque Isle State Park (11 beaches, biking, rentals, etc.), Erie Zoo, block parties/summer festivals, etc. Cultural and historical institutions include: Erie Playhouse, Erie Art Museum, Erie Maritime Museum, Tom Ridge Environmental Center, Thomas Hagen History Center, and the Warner Theatre.

The Erie area is also home to one of the largest malls in the US, the Millcreek Mall.

Hope this helped!

VisitErie | Lake Erie activities, shopping, dining and lodging in Erie, PA

City of Erie > Home

Erie Downtown Partnership | The Erie Downtown Partnership, is a non-profit designed to revitalize the Erie, PA downtown by improving its image, business climate, physical environment and design.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 AM

189 posts, read 153,239 times
Lancaster county. just did Wind cave Pequea,PA.. tight squeezes!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
The Laurel Highlands have a lot to be said for them for recreation as well as all of the historical sites.
West Overton Village & Museums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania