U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 32,689 times

Advertisements

Wyomissing vs. Exeter
I have posted on this forum previously, but I am now almost 100% sure I will be moving to the reading area (new job). I am looking at housing in Exeter and Wyomissing. We are looking to purchase our first home and would want new construction. Price range would be between 200k and 300k. I was hoping to learn more about both areas in regards to the following -

1. New Homes (prices etc...)
2. Shopping
3. Schools
4. Access to the city of Reading.

I would appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 AM

342 posts, read 1,141,722 times
I live in Exeter Township. A great place. There is a lot of new construction in your price range in Exeter. Not so much in Wyomissing. Wyomissing is a nice area, but older and more expensive homes abound. Exeter schools are some of the best in Berks. County. Exeter Township is only minutes away from Reading, yet far enough away to feel safe. Also, there are new shops due to be constructed soon, Target, Lowes, Red Robin and Panera Restaurants. The Mall is closer to Wyomissing, however, the King of Prussia Mall is 40 minutes from Exeter Township. Good luck with your search and DM me with any other questions.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM

22 posts, read 69,524 times
Wyomissing is the closest to the city of Reading and all of it's shopping. Exeter is all the way on the other side. The trip down the bypass isn't the best from Exeter. Wyomissing home values are more stable in my opinion as Wyomissing is an older more established neighborhood with huge mansions.

If you don't mind me asking, where is the new job?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:18 PM

14 posts, read 32,689 times
Well, the new job would be all of Berks county (Pharmaceutical Sales), so I can live anywhere in the area. The more centralized to Reading the better.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Well you'd certainly be close to the hospital and the doctors buildings in Wyomissing. You could even look in Blandon/Fleetwood area. There are some very nice homes newly built in that area and it's right off the bypass. Still close to shopping. The schools are very good in Fleetwood. That area would be central to Reading Hospital and the Lehigh Valley area. If "status" means anything to you, I recommend Wyomissing. Lot's of doctors, lawyers, etc living in that area. Beautiful tree lined streets, well kept landscapes, easy access to Lancaster, Reading, and the Lehigh Valley via 422 and 222.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:53 PM

72 posts, read 200,658 times
Exeter is closer to King of Prussia and Philadelphia. Housing prices are more affordable, and you'll probably have an easier time building a new home in this area, since it is still developing.

Wyomissing is closer to major shopping centers. In fact, most chain shopping/restaurants in the area are technically located in Wyomissing, as opposed to Reading. Like a previous poster mentioned, Wyomissing is much more established from a residential standpoint, so you'll have a more difficult time building a new home in your price range. Overall, I think Wyomissing is nicer, but Exeter is a close second compared to other towns in Berks County.

Wyomissing is closer to the city of Reading, but Exeter isn't very far either....about 10 minutes with no traffic.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 PM

342 posts, read 1,141,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiechavi View Post
Well you'd certainly be close to the hospital and the doctors buildings in Wyomissing. You could even look in Blandon/Fleetwood area. There are some very nice homes newly built in that area and it's right off the bypass. Still close to shopping. The schools are very good in Fleetwood. That area would be central to Reading Hospital and the Lehigh Valley area. If "status" means anything to you, I recommend Wyomissing. Lot's of doctors, lawyers, etc living in that area. Beautiful tree lined streets, well kept landscapes, easy access to Lancaster, Reading, and the Lehigh Valley via 422 and 222.

Hope this helps!
I think the OP wants new construction between $200-300K. I think you are going to be hard pressed to find that in Wyomissing. If you can, I would love to see it.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisatDuke View Post
Wyomissing is closer to the city of Reading, but Exeter isn't very far either....about 10 minutes with no traffic.
And that would be at about 3am? I lived in Exeter for 2 yrs., still camp all the way out in Elverson at French Creek State Park twice a year. That area right between where the bypass ends and up past Redners is ALWAYS backed up.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
I think the OP wants new construction between $200-300K. I think you are going to be hard pressed to find that in Wyomissing. If you can, I would love to see it.
I guess if new construction is absolutely necessary then sure, Wyomissing is pretty much out.

Of course a quick search and I found Moderator cut: linking to real estate sites is not allowed

I would consider this spring twp but it is listed as a Wyomissing zip code and appears to be right on the cusp. So there appears to be new construction in the Wyomissing area after all. Of course the school district is Wilson, which I'd prefer over Wyomissing. Just my opinion.

Here is the map location
0 Rosemont,19610,PA - Google Maps

I'd suggest calling a Realtor in the berks area and have them show you homes between 3-6pm to get a general traffic idea.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Yac; 02-04-2008 at 04:01 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM

72 posts, read 200,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiechavi View Post
And that would be at about 3am? I lived in Exeter for 2 yrs., still camp all the way out in Elverson at French Creek State Park twice a year. That area right between where the bypass ends and up past Redners is ALWAYS backed up.

If it's not rush hour, you can easily get to center city Reading in 10 minutes (at least where I lived in Exeter). 422 does really get backed up when it turns into a business road as you are entering Exeter Twp, but again, this is during rush hour. I've never had any problems at other times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania