Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:04 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just relocated to South Central Pennsylvania around the Chambersburg/Shippensburg area. I love the fall and winter months. I was curious to know approximately when the leaves begin to change in this area of PA? I am in the mountains around South Mountain near the Appalachian Trail in the Michaux State Forest. I also would love to know approximately when the first snowfall occurs. Does this area get much snow? I love chilly weather and am looking forward to a more substantial winter than I ever saw in southern Virginia. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Hello! I just relocated to South Central Pennsylvania around the Chambersburg/Shippensburg area. I love the fall and winter months. I was curious to know approximately when the leaves begin to change in this area of PA? I am in the mountains around South Mountain near the Appalachian Trail in the Michaux State Forest. I also would love to know approximately when the first snowfall occurs. Does this area get much snow? I love chilly weather and am looking forward to a more substantial winter than I ever saw in southern Virginia. Thanks!
Leaves will change about mid/late October, first snowfall will be between late October and January.

Not specifically from that area, north of there. I recall a freak storm occurring right around Halloween in the 1990's. You'll probably see the first appreciable snow storm by early December, don't expect any semi permanent snow cover until January. Really depeds on what the weather does, last year in my area we had snow cover for more than 2 months but we had above average snow and I'm in colder climate so it doesn't get much of chance to melt.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:17 AM

236 posts, read 251,276 times
My experience is that the leaves start to change closer to mid-late September. Some years, earlier, but it depends where you are exactly. But agree with the snowfall dates.

You are in a beautiful part of the state. I hope you have enjoyed the summer there, and that the leaves give you a good show. I'm anxious for that too, and the cooler temps. I moved here in June -- about an hour from your area -- and just love it. This last blast of warm air this week is a real downer for me. Bring on the cold!

Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Normally, the leaves start to change color in late September, and the colors peak in mid-October. The first dusting of snow normally happens between mid-November and mid-December, and the first snowfall that requires shoveling normally happens between mid-December and mid-January. The last snowfall that requires shoveling normally happens between late February and late March, and the last dusting of snow normally happens between mid-March and mid-April.

This is what's normal, so any abnormal weather patterns can either expedite or delay this timeline. Higher elevations can also expedite the arrival of fall/winter, and delay the arrival of spring.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
and the last dusting of snow normally happens between mid-March and mid-April.
As I recall there was freakish storm mid May not too long ago.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I recall there was freakish storm mid May not too long ago.
That's why I said "normally."

Old 08-31-2015, 11:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jswAsFtpDo

Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM

The last two winters were much colder than normal in Pennsylvania. A normal winter in Pennsylvania typically has a couple of mild spells that can last up to a week each. High temperatures are normally around 60° during these mild spells, but they can climb past 70° in extreme cases.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I ALWAYS (even as a kid) Loved the fall weather & first snow in johnstown. The weather in penna is nice (50s-60s) but in ca its in the upper 90s & will be hot through out the week. UGH !!!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Leaves will change about mid/late October, first snowfall will be between late October and January.

Not specifically from that area, north of there. I recall a freak storm occurring right around Halloween in the 1990's. You'll probably see the first appreciable snow storm by early December, don't expect any semi permanent snow cover until January. Really depeds on what the weather does, last year in my area we had snow cover for more than 2 months but we had above average snow and I'm in colder climate so it doesn't get much of chance to melt.
How quickly you forget! It snowed in 2011, just in time for Halloween.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor'easter

Quote:
The 2011 Halloween nor'easter, sometimes referred to as "Snowtober"[2] and "Storm Alfred",[3] was a large low pressure area that produced unusually early snowfall across the northeastern United States and the Canadian Maritimes. It formed early on October 29 along a cold front to the southeast of the Carolinas. As it moved up the East Coast, its associated snowfall broke records in at least 20 cities for total accumulations, resulting in a rare "white Halloween" two days later.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania