U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,281,322 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I really didn't have a feel for just how rural Pennsylvania was until I married my wife. She is from Clearfield in Clearfield County, and it is very rural there. We visit her parents quite often and are there probably 7 or 8 times a year. I think it's really pretty scenery, but unfortunately it's a very economically depressed area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 05:38 PM

3,832 posts, read 8,251,678 times
Last year I drove from Hershey to Ithaca via Centralia and Dushore (one of the larger communities along the route, which is proud of having the only traffic light in the county, although I doubt it meets current warrants). Entering NY State along the southern end of NY Route 34 does not offer the common nationwide picture of that state for sure.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:41 PM

Try driving from Harrisburg to Buffalo via Karthaus, Sinnemahoning, and Rew.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:29 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,533,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
A wild ride for sure! Next time you're up this way, honk your horn; I'll wave!

#mountainmomma

Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM

853 posts, read 193,808 times
Our place sits on the border of Columbia and Lycoming counties. Not much there, but that's exactly what we like about it. No, most people don't realize just how rural it is there. We had friends from NYC come and stay, and despite my telling them a few times that there wasn't much to do out there, I don't think they believed me until they arrived.

The kids and I spend the entire summer there. They love it, and it's actually really rare to hear, "I'm bored." It's such a nice contrast to NYC, where we lived until last fall, and the suburban area we live in now. The boys started to build a "fort" out of stripped hemlock saplings that we cleared last summer, and they spend a lot of time playing in the dirt of the driveway. (I took a picture of them doing just that, and my daughter was mortified. She begged me not to share it with anyone. They had been making tunnels for centipedes to crawl through.)

As for Amish not being in the mountainous regions, I don't know whether you'd consider our location mountains, but we have a large Amish population. The property just over the hill from us was bought by an Amish family last summer. They have cattle on it now, and I can get fresh eggs from them, rather than drive into town to the vegetable stand.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,880,385 times
Try taking 45 from Lewisburg, PA to State College, PA, scenic long drive through rural PA, basically a 2 lane road the entire distance.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:19 PM

2,848 posts, read 3,446,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Try taking 45 from Lewisburg, PA to State College, PA, scenic long drive through rural PA, basically a 2 lane road the entire distance.
I've been on that route! One of my favorites.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM

1,311 posts, read 3,193,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Did almost exactly that on a trip from Lewistown to Niagara Falls! In no rush so decided to take what looked to be the most rural way.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,880,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've been on that route! One of my favorites.
Yeah it's scenic, the best part is when you go over the mountain at Bald Eagle State Forest, when I was a kid my family was coming down from the mountain in the dusk and a huge Black Bear started chasing our car.

Try Route 192 sometime, even better less small towns to drive through. It's slightly north of 45, but just as scenic.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 PM

One late evening I was driving US 15 just north of the Turkey Ranch (northern Lycoming County) and realized too late to do anything about it (if I had to) that a large bear was also going northbound, fortunately in the passing lane. (That was back before the gas rush, there probably wasn't another car on the expressway in the entire township).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania