Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
RTE 36 between just north of Sigel to Leeper.
Pa. 36 to Pa. 27 to Pa. 8 is my favorite way to get to Erie from I-80, and I say many, many prayers between Brookville and Titusville that the car doesn't break down, etc. It's a lovely drive, especially through Cook's Forest; but even though there's plenty of traffic, it's so isolated.

The one time I don't mind getting stuck behind a truck is when I'm driving through the forest.

Once I get to Titusville, I feel like I've reached civilization. Which is funny, because there's still a whole lot of rural to get through before cresting the ridge and seeing Lake Erie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 04:52 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,338 times
Quote:
Pa. 36 to Pa. 27 to Pa. 8 is my favorite way to get to Erie from I-80, and I say many, many prayers between Brookville and Titusville that the car doesn't break down, etc.
I know the feeling, especially since my car is not so brand new anymore. Even in Central/Southern PA there is enough windy backroads through miles and miles of endless farm country that I always make sure I have at least a half take of gas in the car!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
If you think there's not much there now you should have driven through 30 or 40 years ago when everything closed at 5, nothing was open on Sunday and they didn't plow the roads as well as they do now.

At least now there are Sheetzs along the way.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Quote:
If you think there's not much there now you should have driven through 30 or 40 years ago when everything closed at 5, nothing was open on Sunday and they didn't plow the roads as well as they do now.

At least now there are Sheetzs along the way.
That's true for a lot of places. Even if you go just 15 years back.

Where I live now is south of Watkins Glen. That town was a totally different creature in the 90's than it is now. The traffic through this corridor alone is immense by comparison.

Closer to the border of PA from here now has more housing than it used to as well. I'm guessing people from Elmira are building homes out in the woods more often now.

The old farm house I lived in as a teenager was on a dirt road. We'd see maybe one car or two a day, and it was always another local.

Now the road is paved and cars go by there every 20 minutes to an hour and a lot of the forest has been torn down for houses and a new power-line route.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 22,892 times
Nope

Old 01-04-2016, 08:25 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Care to elaborate? But, nope, they don't. People in the west and mid-west think that everything east of the Mississippi is jammed up and overpopulated. Well, not everyone, but sometimes it feels like it.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's true for a lot of places. Even if you go just 15 years back.

Where I live now is south of Watkins Glen. That town was a totally different creature in the 90's than it is now. The traffic through this corridor alone is immense by comparison.

Closer to the border of PA from here now has more housing than it used to as well. I'm guessing people from Elmira are building homes out in the woods more often now.

The old farm house I lived in as a teenager was on a dirt road. We'd see maybe one car or two a day, and it was always another local.

Now the road is paved and cars go by there every 20 minutes to an hour and a lot of the forest has been torn down for houses and a new power-line route.
I agree. We lived in upstate NY for a few years and realized that most of New York is wooded and very rural. My folks lived in South Jersey where you can go for miles and only see farms. When most people think of NY or NJ, they only think of the congested areas. It doesn't help that many people that lived in NYC refer to Manhattan and it's boroughs as New York, when they really mean New York City.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:14 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
When we moved to Southern Maryland 30+ years ago from the part of PA we've talking about, the banks here still had hours M-F 9 to 2, had never heard of ATMs and doctors wouldn't take insurance. One doctor did, however, take squirrel meat as payment.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
When we moved to Southern Maryland 30+ years ago from the part of PA we've talking about, the banks here still had hours M-F 9 to 2, had never heard of ATMs and doctors wouldn't take insurance. One doctor did, however, take squirrel meat as payment.
When I moved from NEPA in the late eighties, there were no ATMs. There were none in the next place, either. Banks were open 9-5 Monday through Friday, but closed weekends. A lot of stores were closed on Sunday.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:53 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,039,355 times
The western part is more rural than the eastern half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania