Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 06:38 AM

42 posts, read 103,864 times

Advertisements

My husband works in healthcare and is contemplating a switch from LV Hospital to Geisinger. We live in Macungie now. I like the LV. Lots to do. Our home is in a convenient spot (to highways, shopping, etc.). I'm wondering just how different the Central PA area is? I've googled it to see what it has to offer (as far as dining, shopping and family activities go). We have two young children and two pups. It seems a lot different from where we are now. Not in a bad way. Just a more rural existence. Nothing is definite, I'm just curious to hear your opinions about the area. I know Bucknell is there. We have a lot of universities in the Allentown area, so, that doesn't sway me one way or the other. I'm rambling. Lol. Any insight you can give will be much appreciated. Thank you! 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:16 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,135,678 times
Many of your questions have been dealt with in previous threads.

The greater Lehigh Valley has a population exceeding 800,000. Lewisburg has a population of less than 6,000 and Danville less than 5,000. Other towns in the area are Bloomsburg, Berwick, Northumberland, Selinsgrove, Sunbury, Elysburg, Milton, Mifflinburg, New Columbia and Watsontown. If you like living in a large and diverse urban area with lots of activities and things to do, the Central Susquehanna Valley will not be your cup of tea. That doesn't mean that the area is a cultureless backwater. See link below for Inside Pennsylvania Magazine featuring area happenings and highlights.

Inside Pennsylvania Magazine Winter 2015 by The Daily Item

Geisinger is a top ranked medical institution and if hubby is anxious to work in such an environment, that should trump all of your objections and anxieties. Is he a physician, a researcher or in one of the allied health professions?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:51 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,073,157 times
top ranked--really??????

philly hospitals are top ranked not danville

Old 12-27-2015, 08:09 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,587,957 times
There is a lot of higher education in and around the general area, you have Bucknell is Lewisburg, Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Lycoming and Penn College (which is part of PSU) in Williamsport and a few others if you go further out. Lot's of higher ed, but not much good jobs to keep graduates in the area, sarcasm aside a lot of good schools.

Most of the big box retail, enclosed mall, dining and shopping is in the Selinsgrove Area just google "Susquehanna Valley Mall" or "Monroe Marketplace" and then do a view of 11/15 between Shamokin Dam and Selinsgrove, they call that "The Golden Strip", where all the retail and dining is for the most part, the mall in Bloomsburg (Buckhorn) Columbia Mall never took off and is basically limited and falling into the dead mall theme. The Susquehanna Valley Mall in Selinsgrove is bigger and has more going for it, but isn't anything like what you may see outside of Philly.

Danville is sorta in the middle, has a little downtown and some fast food places and a few restaurants, but I don't recall what has changed since my last time through?

Basically you will find yourself taking Route 11 south to Selinsgrove or North to Bloomsburg or 54 & 45 west to Lewisburg, you can drive further if you wish, but there really isn't much else within a 25 mile radius. If you want to go a little further, there is a mall near Muncy, PA as well.

Lewisburg and Selinsgrove are nice towns as well and well within a commute if you desired to be closer to certain things or to Harrisburg. The benefit with Danville is I-80 is close, easy to hop on to go to NYC.

I have been to the LV area a few times, I always liked that area and it's a lot different from Central PA, but I'm sure things have changed since my last visit which was a long time ago but even Central PA has changed a lot since I left the state.

Elysburg has a great free admission Amusement Park called "Knoebels", I know I liked it when I was a kid, so since you have kids, it might be an added bonus, it's not too far a drive.

It's a nice, laid back and slower paced area, if you can find a good job which is not easy for many professionals (reason I left), you can live quite well. It's not as populated as SE or Eastern PA and it has the added benefit of being close to the nice scenic parts of the state, if you can get around the Shale Drilling sites.

Last edited by blauskies; 12-27-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 AM

42 posts, read 103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
There is a lot of higher education in and around the general area, you have Bucknell is Lewisburg, Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Lycoming and Penn College (which is part of PSU) in Williamsport and a few others if you go further out. Lot's of higher ed, but not much good jobs to keep graduates in the area, sarcasm aside a lot of good schools.

Most of the big box retail, enclosed mall, dining and shopping is in the Selinsgrove Area just google "Susquehanna Valley Mall" or "Monroe Marketplace" and then do a view of 11/15 between Shamokin Dam and Selinsgrove, they call that "The Golden Strip", where all the retail and dining is for the most part, the mall in Bloomsburg (Buckhorn) Columbia Mall never took off and is basically limited and falling into the dead mall theme. The Susquehanna Valley Mall in Selinsgrove is bigger and has more going for it, but isn't anything like what you may see outside of Philly.

Danville is sorta in the middle, has a little downtown and some fast food places and a few restaurants, but I don't recall what has changed since my last time through?

Basically you will find yourself taking Route 11 south to Selinsgrove or North to Bloomsburg or 54 & 45 west to Lewisburg, you can drive further if you wish, but there really isn't much else within a 25 mile radius. If you want to go a little further, there is a mall near Muncy, PA as well.

Lewisburg and Selinsgrove are nice towns as well and well within a commute if you desired to be closer to certain things or to Harrisburg. The benefit with Danville is I-80 is close, easy to hop on to go to NYC.

I have been to the LV area a few times, I always liked that area and it's a lot different from Central PA, but I'm sure things have changed since my last visit which was a long time ago but even Central PA has changed a lot since I left the state.

Elysburg has a great free admission Amusement Park called "Knoebels", I know I liked it when I was a kid, so since you have kids, it might be an added bonus, it's not too far a drive.

It's a nice, laid back and slower paced area, if you can find a good job which is not easy for many professionals (reason I left), you can live quite well. It's not as populated as SE or Eastern PA and it has the added benefit of being close to the nice scenic parts of the state, if you can get around the Shale Drilling sites.
Thanks!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:11 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,292,682 times
The thread linked below might interest you as well; in the past ten years, I've lived in Nescopeck, Topton, Alburtis and Northampton -- no problems with any of them.

Move to Bloomsburg or Lewisburg, PA?

Old 12-28-2015, 05:05 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,587,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Many of your questions have been dealt with in previous threads.

The greater Lehigh Valley has a population exceeding 800,000. Lewisburg has a population of less than 6,000 and Danville less than 5,000. Other towns in the area are Bloomsburg, Berwick, Northumberland, Selinsgrove, Sunbury, Elysburg, Milton, Mifflinburg, New Columbia and Watsontown. If you like living in a large and diverse urban area with lots of activities and things to do, the Central Susquehanna Valley will not be your cup of tea.
You are just listing the populations of the towns, the larger Susquehanna Valley is more accurate, which is like more 260,000+ People.

Not as populated as the Lehigh Valley or as close to Philly, but I would not consider Macungie "Urban" by any stretch of the imagination, but being closer to Philly is an advantage, Allentown also has more to offer in places you won't see in the Susquehanna Valley due to the population.

PREIT | Trade Area

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania