Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,667 times

Advertisements

My other factor in moving..is my husbands commute..Our kids have always been able to see him at night when he gets home from work...and are able to hang out with him and eat dinner..However, I know philly can be a tougher commute. A friend lives in the Southampton area..and says it takes him an hour and a half to get to work..That also kind of worries me..I may have no choice with what I am looking for. Bucks county seems to have great schools and a lot of nice safe areas. I know I cannot get the perfect place..but I darn well am going to get as close as I can!

So how is the commute in Bucks? Doylestown? What about other towns..Malvern? Chester springs? Berwyn? Devon? Newtown? Those are some of the areas i have been concentrating on due to the posts here, schools and safety reasons..

Thanks in advance..AGAIN! You guys rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 08:50 PM

35 posts, read 78,464 times
Bucks County is going to be your longest commute as its furthest from Center City. Doylestown is like 35-40 miles NE of CC and I can only imagine how bad of a commute that would be.

If its possible you should probably try and make a visit and see for yourself what the neighborhoods look like, what the traffic will be like etc.. YOu may be overreacting to crime issues. Outside of the bad parts of Philly and extreme eastern Del. County there isn't much crime to speak of.

I'd recommend grabbing a map, and taking a ride up route 202 from the PA/DEL state line in Chadds Ford- through West Chester-Exton-Great valley-Malvern all the away up at least to King of Prussia. Ride around take some back roads and you'll see crime really isn't going to be an issue out in the suburbs. From there time your commute into center city and see how far you want your commute to be.

Devon, Berwyn would be a 45 minute commute.
Chester Springs and Malvern closer to an hour.
Media, Newtown Square, Havertown 1/2 hour

A couple more areas you may want to look into are Westtown, Edgmont and Glen Mills which are just as nice as Chester Springs/Malvern but 15 minutes closer to center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania