Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:09 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,124,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
How will trump make America great? Declaring war on foreigners who buy our debt? The same way he made atlantic city great again?
Trade war is a red herring. So if a country refuses to be a partner in a $500 billion trade deficit scheme with just one country every year, we should be threatened with a trade war? That's the sort of war I don't mind having. If that $500 billion is cut down in half, that is $250 billion in our pockets every year. PA may get some of that business. May be GM will start building Buicks at the closed Fisher Body in West Mifflin instead of investing in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Trade war is a red herring. So if a country refuses to be a partner in a $500 billion trade deficit scheme with just one country every year, we should be threatened with a trade war? That's the sort of war I don't mind having. If that $500 billion is cut down in half, that is $250 billion in our pockets every year. PA may get some of that business. May be GM will start building Buicks at the closed Fisher Body in West Mifflin instead of investing in China.
Not likely, Texas is a more likely beneficiary or some other right to work state. Pennsylvania has high taxes, lots of bureaucracy, and is union friendly. While I think a trade war would be highly damaging (it won't put money in your pocket in the short term but it might stop the bleeding) I do think we should take an incremental approach to reducing our dependency on foreign capital. Maybe raise interest rates to attract capital (which will also cause pain but less so than an outright trade war).

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,867,669 times
Quote:
Nope, and while costly and very unlikely, in your scenario, GM would move production to Mexico or Canada.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I disagree with her; but then I am not a moderator. I feel that many of our National issues are also local or state issues and should be discussed. It is almost impossible to speculate about primary results without discussing the issues.
The TOS state that it's against the TOS to talk about mod action, but in this case I'll make an exception to clarify the reasons NOT to talk about national policies here. The state and city forums are primarily for residents to talk about where they live, where they want to live etc. It's not meant to be a chat room, nor is meant to be a place for controversy that can break down into name calling, rude talk or bigotry. All of which seems to define this years Presidential race. Thank you for your understanding.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM

The first Pennsylvania poll I have seen.

https://twitter.com/politicalwire/st...72594882945028

Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
The first Pennsylvania poll I have seen.

https://twitter.com/politicalwire/st...72594882945028

Don't count Trump out that easy. Here is a link to another poll that shows Trump up by 14.5% over Kasich: RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - Pennsylvania Republican Presidential Primary. So far Kasich has only won his home state; there is no reason to suspect that he will take our State.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 PM

Are we winner take all? Open primary?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:49 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Are we winner take all? Open primary?
Republicans are winner take all. Democrats assign delegates proportionately.

We're a closed primary.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,649,322 times
I would wager that Donald Trump would most likely win that state.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
It's worth noting that on the Republican side Pennsylvania ain't worth much. This is because only the statewide delegates (17) are bound to a candidate. The other 54 delegates are elected by congressional district. These are "uncommitted" delegates who will appear on the ballot with no indication of who they intend on supporting in Cleveland.

The various candidates can of course attempt to court these candidate delegates, and attempt to get out the message to their supporters as to who to vote for. But this is going to be a very difficult practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania