Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 39,789 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Pennsylvania, and was wondering where the best place is for jobs. I'm a single woman, so safety is also important to me too, as is recreational opportunities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 PM

35 posts, read 78,402 times
What type of career are you looking for?

I can vouch for the suburbs of Philadlephia and Center City Philly. SE Pa. has a fairly diverse workforce and unemplyment is extremely low.It is the 5th wealthiest metro in the US behind NYC,LA,Chicago and SF.

The suburbs are very heavy in the pharmacuetical field. Center City Philadelphia is big in the hospitality,medical, and financial fields and is becoming a fabulous place to live, work and play. Center City has the largest workforce in the state and something crazy like 497 bars and restaurants. Philly also has the largest park system of any city in the US. The winters aren't so great but Center City is a tremendous neighborhood and SE Pa. is great the rest of the year.

Thats my two cents.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times
Add the legal field to center city Philly.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 139,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx2112 View Post
What type of career are you looking for?

I can vouch for the suburbs of Philadlephia and Center City Philly. SE Pa. has a fairly diverse workforce and unemplyment is extremely low.It is the 5th wealthiest metro in the US behind NYC,LA,Chicago and SF.

The suburbs are very heavy in the pharmacuetical field. Center City Philadelphia is big in the hospitality,medical, and financial fields and is becoming a fabulous place to live, work and play. Center City has the largest workforce in the state and something crazy like 497 bars and restaurants. Philly also has the largest park system of any city in the US. The winters aren't so great but Center City is a tremendous neighborhood and SE Pa. is great the rest of the year.

Thats my two cents.
I really believe you but with me when I list my resume online in Careerbuilder, Monster, and Hotjobs seeking an Accounts Receivable, Credit and Collections position to which I have 8 plus years of recent experience with a college degree - it just dies with very little response. I do put a Main Line town as a home address to no avail and I state that I'm seeking in PA and suburbs. So I'm confused on why this is happening if the job market is as good as it is.
Are these job boards not viable enough for the Philly market but good in other markets?
I can place this resume with a Northern NJ address and it's almost quite the opposite effect.

Can you possibly shed any light on this? - it'll be appreciated.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:37 PM

35 posts, read 78,402 times
I could be wrong but from what I hear careerbuilder and monster aren't the best options in the bigger cities. Resumes get lost in the shuffle, the system used is very impersonal and automated.

Your best bet is probably getting in contact with a job recruiter or head hunter who specialize in matching up applicant with job openings. Even getting started with a temp agency gets your foot in the door of some pretty decent companies.

Other options are going directly to the websites of top companies in the area and contacting the HR dept. Comcast is in the process of hiring 1000 jobs in the next year or so for the expansion of their HQ in Center City. Hospitals and Universities which there are tons of in this area are constantly hiring people. Hope that helps a bit.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 AM

84 posts, read 123,257 times
Careerbuilder, Monster and Hotjobs are a waste of time. They typically post only to resume build their files. The jobs you are looking for will not be posted. Those 3 sites that you named are great sources of information but I would not hold my breath to get one of their posted positions. They boast millions of resumes on file, so for every job posted, thousands are sent to the hiring companies. Most internal HR people or recruiters sift through about 50. Do the math. You will hear the occassional success story but not likely.

Call around to companies who have a department with what you do. Speak with the management, stay away from HR. Network in your field with other companies. Join an organization. Call a recruiter in the area you specialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: