U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 AM

607 posts, read 380,505 times

Advertisements

It is well predicted that one day the robots or computers will take over a great extent of What we used to perform. Do you think there will be another incentive for population growth of a geographical area in the future?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM

174 posts, read 161,394 times
Pennsylvania isn't all that exciting.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:24 PM

7,585 posts, read 10,677,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika929 View Post
And Florida is flat, hot, and dumb. Your point?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:49 PM

6,304 posts, read 7,969,443 times
Quote:
Sounds like a personal problem.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:17 PM

174 posts, read 161,394 times
Why is Pennsylvania losing population k here's my opinion. Pennsylvania is really really boring, nothing exciting happens here. Most of the people I grew up with end up becoming way too sad or just irritable.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM

7,209 posts, read 6,295,811 times
Quote:
Why is Pennsylvania losing population k here's my opinion. Pennsylvania is really really boring, nothing exciting happens here. Most of the people I grew up with end up becoming way too sad or just irritable.
A) totally subjective opinion
B) What makes any other state more exciting?
C) Generalizing is such a bad way to base ones opinions, PA has 13 million people and is a huge state, so your negative experiences that may have happened in a log cabin in the woods should not apply to the millions that live in the large metro areas of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 PM

2,590 posts, read 3,278,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A) totally subjective opinion
B) What makes any other state more exciting?
C) Generalizing is such a bad way to base ones opinions, PA has 13 million people and is a huge state, so your negative experiences that may have happened in a log cabin in the woods should not apply to the millions that live in the large metro areas of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
What is the matter with log cabins? Do you have Hylophobia?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:40 PM

4,822 posts, read 4,063,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
It's a combination of factors. Not just weather because Mississippi lost population. Not just taxes because Wyoming (no state income tax for individuals) also lost population.

Maybe it is aging population, competition with the DC metro, NC, GA, FL, and TX, among others. Also, our biggest metro (roughly 1/3 of our population) Philadelphia has a pretty high cost of living. Some areas of PA are in a slight decline, like Johnstown (beautiful town) for example. We have a pretty bad drug epidemic, but not necessarily high crime as a state. Our cities seem miniature due to PA's obsession with having thousands of townships, so many of our cities are landlocked. The state budget impasse hurt us. Our highways are unable to handle traffic volumes, and many are surrounded by existing neighborhoods and businesses, making it difficult to widen/upgrade them. Mining and manufacturing has become less and less prevalent. As a swing state we dont necessarily attract anyone for our political atmosphere.

One would think PA would be attractive for retirees due to our income tax preferences for retirees income.

My theory - FL is sinking so in 50-100 years there will be some relocation/exodus. Also, next time a major hurricane rolls through the Southeast-states I just mentioned (hopefully not for awhile), some people might reevaluate living there for their safety/livelihood/property.

Anyway, love my state (PA) and its cities, and I am not worried the slightest. We are well diversified and just reaching maturity. I dont care if we change too much in reality. We have such a beautiful landscape I would hate to mar it with much more development. We have had a good run and we are still doing well for ourselves. All of our cities and counties are special in their own way. We have alot to offer. We have a lot to be proud of. I am sure we will be fine in the long-term.

Keep in mind we still have grown since 2010. Even if we decline the next three years at this rate we will still be up by 2020 and might pass Illinois by a hair since they are dropping at a faster rate (interesting thought, not mine).
Right, isn't this most recent figure an estimate? Wait until 2020 before everyone starts freaking out.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 PM

7,209 posts, read 6,295,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
What is the matter with log cabins? Do you have Hylophobia?
I do, thats why I live in a glass house.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,501,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
All US county population estimates will be released in March I believe.
Based on recent past history, the portion of the state largely not in the southeast quarter of the state accounts for Pennsylvania's population declines, while the southeast quarter largely offsets that decline (with help from the Poconos, Centre County, and a portion of the Pittsburgh metro area, mostly Butler County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania