Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,958 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my daughter (not claimed as my dependent on the tax forms however)works in MD but has residency (determined by her W2, license, voter registration etc.) in Lancaster PA (New Providence Township to be specific). She works in Baltimore City. This is the confusing part:

"However, if you do not live in Maryland for more than six months and are a resident of certain cities and townships in Pennsylvania who tax the salaries and wages of Maryland residents employed within their jurisdictions, you may have to file Maryland Form 515. For more information, see the instructions included with Form 515" (http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Resou...Tips/tip56.pdf)

My daughter has not lived in Maryland for more than 6 months, therefore she is not a statutory resident. The part that is confusing is that she does not know whether she has to file Maryland Form 515 because she cannot find anywhere that states that New Providence Township taxes MD residents employed within it's jurisdiction. She called the Lancaster County Tax Bureau and asked whether New Providence Twp taxes MD residents employed within it's jurisdiction and they said that they tax 1.000% only if that MD resident does not get taxed from it's local MD city or township. She then called the MD State Controller and they said that she didn't have to file 515, but the operator she spoke with was not even aware the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh residents do have to file 515 regardless of local tax they pay for a PA jurisdiction, so it's possible that this operator wasn't familiar with the policy?

Could anyone advise whether my daughter should file Maryland Form 515 and then pay Baltimore City Tax? Is there any other forms she needs to fill out or any other course of action she needs to take care of?

Thank you all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Hire a CPA firm in Lancaster (or H&R Block) this one time to do her taxes. Next tax year, she'll know what she needs to file.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,958 times
Thanks for the response. In theory that would be great, but this is really her only question. Does she need to file form 515 or not? The rest of her taxes (federal, PA local and state) are fine, if she could just get this one question clarified, then all would be good. Really seems like a waste to spend a chunk of money to get one question answered if anyone else online knew the answer already.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,755 times
I realize this is old, but did you ever get an answer to this question??

I'm thinking the answer is, NO, MD515 is NOT needed because I can't find a single case of a PA resident filing one. (Despite many PA Jurisdictions having that EIT local tax).

Old 02-25-2021, 08:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
I can DM you an excellent accountant I know who is very inexpensive. I think she charges like $100 to do your returns. Let me know.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,047,339 times
Just call the tax bureau. I once called because I had a tax question and the people I spoke with were very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania