Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 PM

69 posts, read 252,771 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information about nursing home care in the Selinsgrove area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Stay far away from Loviing Care as it's a horrible place for relatives to be. I've worked with agencies that monitor care and they have a bad track record.

Grayson View is really good but more specialized if I recall correctly. They have a good alzheimer's ward. I was pretty impressed with them overall. It's on the expensive side though.

It's not in Selinsgrove but Riverwoods in Lewisburg seems pretty decent as well.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
I'll second Grayson View and Riverwoods. I worked for one of the former administrators at Riverwoods a number of years ago (when it was the Lewisburg United Methodist Home). I was very impressed with the people I worked with and the care they gave to the residents.

There's also the Manor at Penn Village in Selinsgrove. Quite a number of our church members are there. It used to be Penn Lutheran but it has changed hands.

And also in Lewisburg, there's Bufallo Valley Lutheran Village, also an excellent facility.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Haha I live in throwing distance of Penn Village and forgot all about it. I've heard mostly positive things about it. I know they seem to have many changes in name and empoloyees though but the staff chageover seems to be quite common in the social work field.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Grayson View is the one I had heard mentioned before, we are now looking at Laporte in Williamsport. Anyone familiar with that?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM

Is Laporte the name of a nursing home? I've never heard of it and grew up nearby in Montoursville. There's also a town of Laporte north of Williamsport.

Williamsport area has Manor Care, the Williamsport Home (may be a different name now), Sycamore Manor, and there's the county home out the Warrensville Road (out the 'sock, as we used to say) and something new in front of it. I'm sure there are others that aren't coming to mind right now.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:11 PM

I was told the center was called Laporte, turns out it is Highlands Care Center in Laporte. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Well, I'll resurrect this topic as my MIL was just yesterday admitted to The Manor at Penn Village in Selinsgrove. She has Stage 4 lung cancer and will begin radiation and chemotherapy soon. If you're the praying sort, please remember her (and my husband and family) in your prayers. If you're not the praying sort, please just send good thoughts and karma our way. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Dawne I never saw your post till now and hope your MIL is doing well. I'm sorry to hear of the family health issues

I thought of a few more in case people search for local nursing homes/facilities:

Manor Care in Sunbury
Zendt's in Richfield
Rolling Hills Manor in Millmont
Nottingham Village in Northumberland

Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 AM

Thanks, R. J. Unfortunately, my MIL passed away on the 4th of July. Her cancer was too far advanced and her overall health would not have allowed her to survive the aggressive treatment necessary for her cancer. She went very quickly but it was a blessing, as she deteriorated very quickly.

She got very good care at the nursing home, although there were times they seemed to be a bit short staffed. She couldn't walk when she was admitted due to tumors pressing on her spinal nerve, and there were times she had to wait too long for someone to answer her call bell to take her to the bathroom. But other than that - she was always dressed and clean, up in the day room or a chair in her room when we'd go to see her - until the last few days when she never even woke up.

I'd recommend The Manor at Penn Village to anyone looking for a nursing home, but as noted above there are also many other good ones in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania