Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:08 PM

184 posts, read 235,322 times

Advertisements

There's many smaller cities with large black and Hispanic populations like in Hazelton, Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York for example. Whenever I travel to one of these cities, I can almost feel the tension in the air. Is it me or is there an undying tension between whites and minorities? I know most of these towns are fairly segregated. And I feel like if there is tension then the recent explosion of Puerto Ricans to the area may have made it worse. What do u think?

Side note : I do love the S. central and SE sections of PA with a passion. Just wana know what the tension is about if there is any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
It happens in every major city that I have lived in. Don't blame the whites for it all. Most of the tension and racism that I have witnessed happens between minorities and even within an ethnicity. I have known Columbians who were racist towards Mexicans, Mexicans who were racists towards Cubans, etc. I always get a kick out of seeing posters who want to relocate to a diverse liberal city like there is some fairy tale utopia out there. I haven't come across a city in the US yet that isn't void of racial issues.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:19 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
You mean you haven't come across one that IS void of racial issues

Old 05-06-2016, 02:06 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
The was a lot of tension in the small city of Shenandoah, PA when a young Hispanic guy was murdered by some "white" teens. Shenandoah is a hardscrapple working class former anthracite mining town not that far from Pottsville and Minersville.

Anyone remember that incident?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 AM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times
The tension comes from the explosion of violent crime where there was previously none.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,714 times
Its really a shame that its 2016 and we have to deal with such issues,there is important issues that need attention yet we have a large percentage of the population still hating on others over there race? Its hard to believe but adults are worse then children,all we can do as individuals is choose to not be a part of this problem,I will continue to treat people equally regardless of race or gender,there is good and bad in every race,I live not far from Allentown and work in that area luckily I personally have not dealt with racists but I have been a witness to people being racist against others and I will be honest I do hear white people talking badly about blacks and I'm appalled!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn1981 View Post
Its really a shame that its 2016 and we have to deal with such issues,....
I'm going to explain the situation near where I live.

The area I grew up in was almost entirely white and that is somewhat true today. I can recall in fifth grade this black girl that was at our school for whatever reason and to be quite honest it was bit shocking. She was only there for a few weeks, not sure what the story was on that but it wasn't because she had moved there. There was one black guy that lived in my town in my teens but he was educated and as far as I know most people got along with him, I'm sure he experienced some racism. Now that I have given you basic background of where I'm coming from I'm going to paint a picture of the present.

This area has a lot of cheap housing. If I'm going to be honest I will have to admit that there is not a whole lot of reasons for educated and middle class people to move here no matter what race they are. Since the late 80's and early 90's Wilkes-Barre a small city near me has seen a steady influx of low income blacks from New York and Philly. The black population there has grown from almost nothing to about 10%. While I'm sure many of these people moved here to escape the problems of the city they have brought those problems here. There has been steady increase of crime and murders in that city in the same time frame, most of it within the black community. Prior to this Wilkes-Barre had what could be called a moderate or low crime and murder rate.

The murder rate nationwide is about 4. Currently the murder rate in Luzerne county is about 1 or 2 when you exclude Wilkes-Barre and Hazelton. In 2013 the murder rate is Wilkes-Barre was about 35, this a rate that is approaching Detroit numbers. Only 10% of the population there is black but they accounted for about half the murders if not more. The murder rate in the black population by itself was about 200, that's not a typo. A person of the black race living in Wilkes-Barre in 2013 statistically would have been safer on the front lines of Afghanistan. Granted 2013 was worse year to date but it's not much better now. Fortunately for the rest of is the increased violence and murder rates have stayed within the black community.

You tell me how I'm supposed to feel about this.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 PM

81 posts, read 183,373 times
^^ what are you talking about Wilkes Barre had 2 murders in 2014 with a murder rate of .05 per 1000, so really stop being a drama queen as if everything is because of the black people.

I live in Bethlehem Pa, and my neighborhood is about 80% hispanic, bethlehem city is about 25% hispanic (probably closer to 30% by now) and probably close to 10% black as of now, and it is one of the safest cities in Pennsylvania, if not the safest. Not everything is a race issue, because if it were a race issue, bethlehem would probably have a dozen murders right now being a diverse city. Look at allentown, nearly 50% hispanic, 12% black, and i believe it had what 5 murders in 2014? Give me a break.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
^^ what are you talking about Wilkes Barre had 2 murders in 2014 with a murder rate of .05 per 1000, so really stop being a drama queen as if everything is because of the black people.
Murder rates are usually given per 100K, with a population of 40K 2 murders would place it at about 5 which is little above the national average of 4.

There was 13 murders in 2013 so there is no drama here, the statistics I have given were 100% accurate for that year and if you go back to my post you'll see I stated what year. Not sure what 2015 was but it was higher than 2014 but lower than 2013.

Don't try and tell me about where I lived my whole life, I've seen these changes occur over a lifetime. I'll even relate a personal experience, I was on a jury trial last year, the defendant was in an altercation.... with a machete. The victim was using public housing to keep his pit bulls, to quote him "Sherman hills is a very dangerous place". After nearly getting his head nearly severed off he somehow manage to get out of the apartment and walk about 200 feet. Of course no one in the entire complex saw nothing. Even the victim was reluctant to testify. If you want to live near a place like that have a blast.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-12-2016 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM

81 posts, read 183,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Murder rates are usually given per 100K, with a population of 40K 2 murders would place it at about 5 which is little above the national average of 4.

There was 13 murders in 2013 so there is no drama here, the statistics I have given were 100% accurate for that year and if you go back to my post you'll see I stated what year. Not sure what 2015 was but it was higher than 2014 but lower than 2013.

Don't try and tell me about where I lived my whole life, I've seen these changes occur over a lifetime. I'll even relate a personal experience, I was on a jury trial last year, the defendant was in an altercation.... with a machete. The victim was using public housing to keep his pit bulls, to quote him "Sherman hills is a very dangerous place". After nearly getting his head nearly severed off he somehow manage to get out of the apartment and walk about 200 feet. Of course no one in the entire complex saw nothing. Even the victim was reluctant to testify. If you want to live near a place like that have a blast.
Public housing.................................what do you expect? I go to Wilkes Barre regularly, and stay there often, its a nice town with problems just like everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania